greg3

Ballabreek 2018

Hi (and Happy New Year to you all!!)

What better way to start 2018 than with a new topic for my LEGO layout - the small town of Ballabreek.

For those new to Ballabreek which is located on a fictional island (that may or may not bear some resemblance to the Isle of Man (where I live)), the town's name means "Place of the Brick" in Manx. Over the years, the town has grown from a small village (previous yearly updates can be found here in the Town forum) and as far as possible is made up of official sets from a range of themes (albeit often MODed). I hope to keep this topic updated weekly with a mixture of stories and new builds which I hope you will enjoy!! But to begin with, a quick tour of the town...

Our tour begins in the centre of the town; a small park, tram stop, bus stops, automated bank and shop selling basic groceries etc.

39425368611_10a5bd53d9_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

38547308015_27673f4801_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Across the road is the main shopping area. Current businesses include; a LEGO store, a newsstand, M's Gemstore (above it lives the mysterious Dr Stephen Strange!), a bike shop and barbers. 

38717885354_08d54f9f48_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

39425372911_2cae5cb83f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

24559443157_1a75ef96c3_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Behind the shops is a narrow one-way residential street. Houses are small but modern and well equipped.

38547307985_e7f5a5c2e1_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27648603549_bc7c59c5e4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Nearby is the town's small harbour area featuring an open air pool, a boardwalk area used for public events, a burger bar, dive shop and coastguard lookout tower.

27648604719_ec8f7cb3c7_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

24559440107_afc4bfe264_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

39425370991_ac8e1da6e0_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Heading back towards the centre of town, we pass the small chapel and medical centre (this area is likely to undergo some major changes this year as I don't think these buildings fit in any more)

38717886694_8a16600c43_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

On the edge of town are the police and fire stations (it wouldn't be a LEGO town without them!!) as well as a recycling area.

38547310695_5a5bc4b1f8_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

38717887004_91c3c58721_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

And the town's major employers (a mix of the old and new) - a mine and a space technology centre.

27648605059_91c3c58721_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Behind the mine is a footpath leading out into the countryside.

38548694375_036e4df9c4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Within a few miles of the town (on nearby shelves!!) are a camping area and small airfield (used mainly for helicopters)

38717883144_11454e7174_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

39425366931_b92fa82494_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Finally an aerial view of the whole town

38547309145_1bc9d9654c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

So what does 2018 have instore for Ballabreek? Well a few months ago, an incident involving toxic waste, criminal gangs and corrupt owners saw the mine closed down.

See the story here

This put the town's economic future in jeopardy but now hope has arrived in the form of Wayne Industries who have purchased the mine. Today sees the mine officially taken over and the head of Wayne Industries, Bruce Wayne himself, is visiting the site and being interviewed by local media. He explains that his aim is to re-employ many of the former workers and to invest in new equipment to increase productivity. He has also pledged to fund other local community and environmental projects.

39425370931_ed41501872_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

So will the mine and therefore the town prosper? Watch this space to find out!!

As you can tell I like to incorporate other themes into my town so look out for future posts to be a mixture of the everyday and the more unusual but for now thanks for looking.

Comments are always welcome!!

Edited by greg3

Don’t suppose there’s any chance of a local Bat Cave franchise setting up in the old mine? Might help deal with the crime problem!

I’m looking forward to following this year’s developments, though I hope you’re able to keep the war memorial at least!

On 01/01/2018 at 6:09 PM, DeanLearner said:

Don’t suppose there’s any chance of a local Bat Cave franchise setting up in the old mine? Might help deal with the crime problem!

I’m looking forward to following this year’s developments, though I hope you’re able to keep the war memorial at least!

Thanks for your comments... I think it's pretty safe to assume that at some point a Batcave of some description may make an appearance!! :wink:

Also, the War Memorial is safe - in fact I'm thinking of replacing the church with a small Military Museum (charting the effect of war on the citizens of the Ballabreek from the Napoleonic Era, through both World Wars and up to today) but that's all for the future... this week we're off to the harbour where a special visitor has arrived...

The Coastguard's latest patrol vessel Adjutor...

27747941749_1754e2224e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The main reason for its visit was to see if it could safely dock in the newly deepened harbour... thanks to the vessels advanced computer controlled manoeuvring thrusters it can!! Although it's a tight fit and is an option that will be rarely used as the ship patrols a wide area around the Island.

39525079172_855ecf8bdb_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

While it's here, the boat is hosting an open day so that the locals can go aboard and have a look around...

39524181431_1e3521575c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27747941089_9c7e0ed23d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

25653282238_949e309703_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Ballabreek's permanent rescue craft (a small inshore rescue boat) is also open to the public...

39524182081_2333db69a8_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

38628286725_c72e18dc0b_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

You can see more of the Adjutor in its own thread here

The idea for this little set up came about as today saw the last slipway launch of our local lifeboat as both it and its boathouse are due to be replaced. Today is also the day that Sir William Hillary is commemorated - he founded the Royal National Lifeboat Institution while living in the Isle of Man and is buried in a local church.

Anyway, thanks for looking... comments are always welcome.

Edited by greg3

For this week's update, we check in on progress at the mine...

As you can see, production is back up and running.

25795796478_0b2a5c0492_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

New machinery has been in to replace the older models. Although they look similar these new models are far more reliable and fuel efficient.

25795781928_8102fbe7ec_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The tramway has seen the biggest change... gone is the old diesel engine to be replaced with "smart carts" fully automated, they transport the mined ore out of the mine to be transferred to trucks that take it away to be processed offsite. The new carts required the replacement of the old traditional rails..

39640295342_dc6edcafd4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Here we see the very first load of ore being removed from the mine under the watchful eyes of its new owner...

25795799348_df8c72713a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The mine foreman shows Mr Wayne that the ore contains valuable minerals (not just the gold that had been mined here for centuries, but other minerals that will be key to designing the next generation of batteries - vital for many future technologies)

24802131257_d4dfd35770_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As for all the old mining equipment? True to his promise to support local businesses, Mr Wayne has given a local transport company the contract to remove it to be scrapped dismantled/sorted/stored for use in future MOCs!!

39667946131_e06b0df429_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

38958911454_86d231deff_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I had hoped to have more of the new mining sets by now but my local toy shop doesn't seem to have them in so I've had to make do with the small builds from set 60188 which I got online. I have to admit to being a bit sad to be ditching the old diesel train but progress is progress!! Once I get the other mining sets, I've got plans for the mine now it has a new owner so watch this space!!!!

Anyway, thanks for looking (and apologies for the rather poorly-lit photos) 

Edited by greg3

Good to see this back! I like the story behind the update, it works well. Will the old train be bought by a preservationist or museum (perhaps on the mainland)? :wink: I quite like the diesel engine, even if it should be battery-electric if it's working in an enclosed mine, and it does feature the bizarre inclusion of a steering wheel. Similarly, perhaps the haulage firm will be used to bring in some more new equipment in the future? What will the locals think of the increased road traffic and noise/dust involved in taking the ore away? Perhaps a new conveyor system would speed up unloading, and be quieter? So many questions! :grin:

Don't worry about the photography, it's fine. I'm waiting (im)patiently for the next update, as ever!

It is nice to see that Ballabreek has made it through the holidays. It is nice to see an updated overview of the village. Much have changed through the years. I do not think there is much left of the Ballabreek I started to follow years ago, Greg3 :wink: And even though it has grown from the original six baseplates, you manage to make the village such a lively and vibrant place on such a (relatively) small space due to all your updates and stories.

I just wonder how I can have missed the 2018 updates on your lovely little village, Greg3. I guess I have not been visiting Eurobricks that much... :blush:

Looking forward to see what 2018 will bring Ballabreek.

Edited by laka

As always, thanks for the comments...

On 16/01/2018 at 9:28 PM, laka said:

It is nice to see that Ballabreek has made it through the holidays. It is nice to see an updated overview of the village. Much have changed through the years. I do not think there is much left of the Ballabreek I started to follow years ago, Greg3 :wink: And even though it has grown from the original six baseplates, you manage to make the village such a lively and vibrant place on such a (relatively) small space due to all your updates and stories.

I just wonder how I can have missed the 2018 updates on your lovely little village, Greg3. I guess I have not been visiting Eurobricks that much... :blush:

Looking forward to see what 2018 will bring Ballabreek.

Glad you're still enjoying Ballabreek - it certainly has gone through a few changes but you comments inspired me to dig out an old photo of how Ballabreek began (as you say, 6 baseplates (on a chest of drawers!!) This area is still the heart of the current town - although only the small shop survives!!

39108206054_b946cb0364_c.jpgdscn5816 by g.nat, on Flickr

On 13/01/2018 at 11:58 PM, ColletArrow said:

Good to see this back! I like the story behind the update, it works well. Will the old train be bought by a preservationist or museum (perhaps on the mainland)? :wink: I quite like the diesel engine, even if it should be battery-electric if it's working in an enclosed mine, and it does feature the bizarre inclusion of a steering wheel. Similarly, perhaps the haulage firm will be used to bring in some more new equipment in the future? What will the locals think of the increased road traffic and noise/dust involved in taking the ore away? Perhaps a new conveyor system would speed up unloading, and be quieter? So many questions! :grin:

Don't worry about the photography, it's fine. I'm waiting (im)patiently for the next update, as ever!

Nothing wrong with questions and here are the answers!!

The future of the old train is still uncertain (until I need the parts for something else!!) so who knows - we may see it again (train or mining museum perhaps?)

As for the haulage firm? Oh I'm sure they'll be kept busy over the next few months!!

Finally, the locals are used to the noise/dust of the mine (it's been part of the town for over 100 years) but modern concerns about the environment and road congestion has got the new owner looking at alternatives which brings us to this week's update...

Today we're off to the small airfield on the outskirts of the town to see a demonstration fight of "The Dragonfly". This twin engined, electric aircraft is an upsized version of the drones you see being flown everywhere these days. Developed by a group of local engineers, it's hoped that it will eventually replace helicopters in many roles and so they've invited a number of investors and potential customers along to see the craft being put through its paces.

First a chance to have a close up look at the Dragonfly...

39786524512_2519566082_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As well as businesspeople looking to invest, there are representatives of the emergency services, the post office, courier companies, movie makers the media and more!!

39785982412_cac9e1ecd2_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

After a good look around, they take their seats for the flight demonstration. Although it will be flying autonomously, current rules mean that it has to have a qualified pilot on board (but unless there is a problem, he'll keep his hands clear of the controls)

25945599398_c69e8284b3_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

38918759355_ee1ebc45f9_b.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The demonstration flight involves 20 minutes of manoeuvres and aerobatics all performed by the onboard computers. One of the engineers behind the project gives a running commentary of the flight and answers any questions the guests might have.

24948184617_672335162d_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

39107871654_43e52c18a3_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Finally, the craft touches down safely having impressed many in the audience with its speed and manoeuvrability. Hopefully, their investment and support will fund development aimed at improving the craft's cargo carrying capacity.

38918775955_21c69f050e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

So, as you can tell, my latest purchase has been the new 3in1 Creator set (31071) and I love that little aircraft!! I'm currently looking to build a few variants in different colour schemes (including for the mining company so watch this space!!)

Anyway, thanks for looking (taking pics on the poorly lit shelf where the airfield is was challenging to say the least!! But I think they came out OK) 

Comments welcome as always!!

Edited by greg3

1 hour ago, greg3 said:

So, as you can tell, my latest purchase has been the new 3in1 Creator set (31071) and I love that little aircraft!!

Really? I couldn't tell... :laugh: :wink:

Great storytelling as usual. As this is on a shelf, do you think you could suspend the craft from the shelf above on strings instead of resting on 2x2 clear round bricks, or is it too heavy?

On 21/01/2018 at 5:46 PM, ColletArrow said:

Really? I couldn't tell... :laugh: :wink:

Great storytelling as usual. As this is on a shelf, do you think you could suspend the craft from the shelf above on strings instead of resting on 2x2 clear round bricks, or is it too heavy?

Thanks... I probably could try suspending them on strings but knowing my luck it'd end in a horrible crash so for temporary scenes like this I think I'll stick to the Lego solution!! Speaking of which... more in-flight pics!!

This week, thanks to some more investment (I bought another one!!), the "Dragonfly Drone" is being tested with some real world applications...

First the Coastguard have been seeing if the craft can be used to deploy rescue equipment...

With upgraded batteries and motors the "drone" can now carry a load attached between it's landing legs. In this case it's a inflatable life raft. It also has smaller floatation devices for surf rescues.

39241429034_3dbe17368e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Today it's testing the raft deployment system in the harbour, where a coastguard volunteer awaits "rescue"

26078956678_6528e40e34_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The casualty is quickly spotted - at the moment the craft has a human pilot but in the future it could conduct searches and rescues under remote control or even fully autonomously.

25080274707_66c5b13913_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The raft is dropped and immediately inflates...

39951425011_6bd8a37a34_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The casualty can now safely await rescue as the drone stays overhead (the raft contains first aid equipment, emergency food and water supplies and a locator beacon)...

39241428604_ef7f136fbc_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Tests like this have proved the drone's usefulness. It's easier to fly than a conventional helicopter, cheaper to operate and requires far less maintenance. Although it could never fully replace the big SAR choppers that are able to winch up several casualties at once, it does have potential for searching for missing people and keeping them safe/marking their location while other ships and aircraft are en route. 

Over to the mine where another version of the "Dragonfly" is being put through it's paces...

Here it comes over the mountain...

39951425751_88f05369c8_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

39919497582_d594e3511e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

This test is to see how quickly it can pick up a cargo... in this case a box of ore...

39241424974_8474945803_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Super accurate GPS transponders in the box allow the onboard computer to land the craft with precision. Electro magnetic clamps then secure the crate...

39053401675_dbf7fb29b6_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

39951420381_0bf5bcf6f7_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

In less than a minute it's off again complete with cargo... (it can actually carry 2 such crates at once)

39241428474_2dc76bdf81_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The hope is that in the future, systems like this will greatly reduce the number of road vehicles as well the noise and pollution they cause. However, for the time being it'll probably be used in more remote mines to move small loads (for example vital parts for broken machinery) and for conducting aerial searches as it can carry a variety of sensors able to analyse the underlying rock formations as it passes overhead.

I have plenty more ideas for variants of the "Dragonfly" but unfortunately this week I've not had as much "Lego Time" as I'd like (don't you just hate it when work gets in the way!!!) so they'll have to wait for another time!! In the meantime, thanks for looking!!

Cheers!!

Edited by greg3

Pretty neat! It's nice to see technological and sustainable development (I've just finished a whole course module on that, and I've learnt that the "3 pillars of sustainability" are economy, society and the environment - these drones seems to tick all 3). Also, that's two local departments using them; who else needs them now? Police and Fire certainly, not sure about Ambulance though. How about a pizza-delivery drone? :grin:

Perhaps some variety, other than the colour scheme, is needed in the fleet. I'm not sure what, maybe subtly different tail/rotor guard shapes, a different cockpit design, something to keep them interesting yet similar. Very good so far though.

On 28/01/2018 at 10:02 PM, ColletArrow said:

Pretty neat! It's nice to see technological and sustainable development (I've just finished a whole course module on that, and I've learnt that the "3 pillars of sustainability" are economy, society and the environment - these drones seems to tick all 3). Also, that's two local departments using them; who else needs them now? Police and Fire certainly, not sure about Ambulance though. How about a pizza-delivery drone? :grin:

Thanks for the comments... I have actually started on a medical version of the drone (not an ambulance as such but a way of transporting organs and blood etc for transplant) Hadn't thought of a pizza version - but I will now!! I also have plans for a Post Office version and one in black (or at least very dark grey) for Mr Wayne!!

Now for this week's update, (actually it should have been last week's but I was busy :blush: ) we're off to the space tech research centre...

40042180112_7c0f805537_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can see, today it's a hive of activity as it holds an open day for the public. Although this particular facility is only a few years old, the company behind it is celebrating 40 years since the founding. Originally part of a much larger company called "Classic Space Industries" it has since gone its own way and is now a major leader in the research and manufacture of components for the space industry. Outside the centre a number of models show some of the various spacecraft that the company has helped to build.

39477755034_faca03813f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

40075357911_ce1f1fdc32_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Earlier in the day, a plaque was unveiled to commemorate the anniversary. The guest of honour, a former astronaut who now acts as an advisor for the company, kindly stayed to chat to the public about her life in space.

39364406084_ce73553547_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Inside, a professional astronomer gives a presentation on the latest space discoveries.

40042179672_e9ed9a0d8f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

A life sized replica of the company's latest work, a cutting edge satellite, is on display as well a spacesuit (also designed and made here in Ballabreek)

39176533895_47ac0efda3_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

40075357061_72cb96c8f7_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Back outside, and this strange object has attracted quite a bit of attention.

39176533645_7d1d8c3f71_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

It's a working replica of the first ever liquid fuelled rocket (launched by Robbert Goddard in 1926) and has been recreated in their spare time by a group of the company's scientists and engineers. They hope to launch it next month as a tribute to all those who have made space travel possible!! (but that'll be for a future update)

40033958712_56eee7466a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

So there we go, a look back at the past of space exploration and more importantly hopefully the inspiration for the future of space travel...

25203216607_37ac811831_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

25317594587_e901bb8999_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I hope you enjoyed this update - not only a way to use the Women of Nasa set but a pretty shameless plug for my entries into the Ideas "Moment in Space" competition!! If you want see more (and maybe even vote if you think they're worthy) the links are below.

A Child's Imagination

Dawn of the Space Age

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome...

Edited by greg3

I love it! I’ve been collecting a similar range of City Space components with a view to building a modular-style Science and Space museum, and am actually hoping to use some of the very same parts from the City Square car showroom to incorporate some of the Classic Space colour scheme.

A bit of silliness this week as local man, DJ Dave, puts on a special Valentine's Day Disco!! (I had been working on a Batman themed comic set in Ballabreek but had a bit of trouble with the story and needed a break!!)

39630938324_c6d12fe753_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Request your "special song" and whisk your partner off his/her feet!!

39444879805_0772404d6a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

And if you don't have a partner then why not attract one by strutting your stuff on the rotating platform

39444880205_7e0d1400b7_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Overview of the scene...

38532402140_134f710115_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Finally a close up of "Dave's Decks"

26470734368_d3332b0271_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

And that, ladies and gents, is what you get when you buy the Lego Batman Movie Justice League Party set for the minifigs and then need to find a use for the rest of the set!!! :laugh:

Anyway, thanks for looking!!

After a few busy weeks without much time for LEGO, I've finally found some much needed time to get back to Ballabreek!! 

Today is the 100th anniversary of the formation of the Royal Air Force, so to commemorate this event, the good folks of Ballabreek have the opportunity to get up close to one the RAF's most iconic early fighter aircraft... a Sopwith Camel currently on display at the local airfield.

27284357248_e3245ba699_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

This particular aircraft is of special importance to the locals, as it crashed in the village 100 years ago and has since been lovingly restored after its remains were uncovered several years ago (those long term fans of Ballabreek (if such a thing exists) might remember the discovery back in 2015)

16169522598_2a9906d4b2_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

What made this aircraft even more important is that it was a very rare variant of the Sopwith Camel - a TF1 (or Trench Fighter). Fitted with downward firing machine guns and armour plating for ground attacks. In reality only 2 were ever made and sent to France for testing (where they were found to be pretty useless and the idea was scrapped) but who's to say one wasn't lost on a training flight near Ballabreek!!

Here the pilot shows off the unique downward firing guns (2 Lewis guns protruding through the cockpit floor and between the wheels!!)

39348309630_4a30592aea_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27292861548_9abf820fcb_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I had hoped to get a few inflight shots over the village but bad weather prevented the flypast (in other words my phone died before I could take the shots!!) 

The plane itself is a Brickmania model of a Sopwith Camel made using instructions from their Great War Instruction book with a few MODs to change it into the Trench Fighter version (which actually did exist). Expect to see a few more updates about Ballabreek's military history over the next few months as I've recently discovered Brinckmania and couldn't resist the combination of military history and LEGO (my 2 favourite topics!!).

More details on the MODded plane here

Thanks for looking

Edited by greg3

Keeping the aeronautical theme going (sort of!), this weekend sees the Big Ballabreek Balloon Bash - a family friendly balloon themed weekend.

40407861845_57a4279b5e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Down at the harbour the kids can buy a range of balloons and balloon models...

27431498318_8dfaf3e255_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

41303912281_f7aa967453_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27431498058_a59060d2e4_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Happy customers...

41303911841_e84c58a387_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The more adventurous citizens can take to the air with a ride on a tethered hot air balloon...

27431494188_e6cb74273a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

27431498628_f7b3938c2e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

41261143902_7a24576eb6_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The next batch of customers waiting their turn...

27431498398_bdcc93d334_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The view from the dizzying height of 23 bricks (it would have been higher but I ran out of trans-clear 2x2 round bricks!!) 

41261147382_d03b969c3c_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The idea for this came about after getting the new Balloon Modeller CMF and totally loving the balloon animal accessories!! I also had the MODded hot air balloon from the Prison Island set and figured this was a good way to use both!! 

Thanks for looking... comments are always welcome!!

Edited by greg3

You always see the potential in new sets, Greg3. Balloon Bash... Great use of the balloons - in all shapes and sizes.

Long time, no update so I thought I'd better do something about it with a little "celebrity signing" scene!!

42471185502_496024e2c0_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

This is local actor "Clutch Studley" signing his new book. It charts the highs and lows of his long acting career which has taken in stage and screen.

42469371862_b09a64aa12_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

However, he's most well known for playing Officer Bill Und in cult 70's TV show Copcar!! The show featured Officer Und solving crimes with the help of his unusual partner... The Copcar 600 - a robotic, autonomous police car. The show only lasted one season but has since developed a cult following and rumours are that it's set to get a big screen reboot! 

Many fans of the show have come along to not only meet the man himself but to get to see some rare props from the original show...

An iconic screen worn uniform

41618766535_8e9d1a920e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

And of course The Copcar 600 itself!!! 

27650641777_2480d0406f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As well as getting Mr Studley to sign his book, many fans have brought their vintage Copcar toys to be signed too...

A mint-in-box Copcar Construction kit!

41618767955_c30fdc3e0a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

A limited edition Officer Und Action Figure!!

42469372152_c69492cef5_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can tell I finally got my hands on the Classic Policeman CMF figure. It brought back a few memories as set 600 is the first LEGO set I can remember getting (I must have been about 5!!) so I had to get it into Ballabreek somehow (hence the idea of Copcar!!) Unfortunately I didn't have the parts to recreate the car exactly but I think my version's not too bad! (the micro policeman is from the recent LEGO mini figure factory gift with purchase)

Anyway, hope you like it... thanks for looking!

Edited by greg3

Great adding to Ballabreek, I always love to look at the pictures of this Place

Great Work!

Greetings!

Thanks for the comments... 

Here's a pic taken this morning of an unusual load being transported through the town by local haulage company "Special Transport". In keeping with their slogan  "Anything, to anywhere, at anytime!!", today they're transporting a World War 1 tank!!

42526182372_37b8b57895_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

40769545980_4c9912df43_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The tank belongs to the Ballabreek Military History Society (BMHS) and is being sent to a specialist engineering firm to have its tracks and running gear replaced in time for the centenary of the ending of WW1 later this year (in other words I need to change the old light grey wheels/gears and get some Brinckmania track links).

42526182312_5a6dcd6fa6_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Recently I've been spending most of my LEGO time building military models using instructions from Brickmania and I thought it'd be cool to try and fit some into the story of Ballabreek. So watch out for more from the Ballabreek Military History Society from time to time over the coming months!! 

You can see more of the tank in its own topic HERE

Thanks for looking...

that's a nice looking Tank ( the whole transport-rig is looking Great! )

thanks for this!

Greetings!

Officer Bill Und... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As always you manage to make a story of new sets and trends in LEGO. I like the moderne remake of the 600 "Copcar". Such a shame I missed the show back then :hmpf_bad: Is it available on Netbrix? :wink: 

Actually it is funny to see that 600 Police Car - where the minifig is not able to be seated in the car - was release the same year as 621 Police Car which both seats the police officer and has doors that open. - These two types of cars were release side by side until 1981. Hereafter only cars that did seat minifigs were released.

After another long break it's time for another update. This time we get a sneak peek at the town's latest building project - a new emergency hospital.

Replacing the ageing medical centre, which was actually just a fancy doctor's surgery and could really only treat minor injuries, this new build will bring cutting edge medical facilities to the people of Ballabreek. With construction complete, the hospital is due to formally open in a couple of weeks but today we get a brief look at this new addition to the town...

The building is located on the site of the previous medical centre and a small section of land that was part of the park.

43273464891_8a752039ab_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

The main entrance.

42554980824_96796c14e2_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

29403717338_cdd57cdde5_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

Unlike the previous building, this has a fully equipped accident and emergency area and can accept casualties delivered by ambulance.

28404173237_aefa5ebf59_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

42369310025_ed61c2c6b2_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

As you can tell, in keeping with my philosophy of using official sets where possible, this is just the new official hospital set. However it's taken a few weeks of trying different locations/orientations to get it to fit in as seamlessly as possible but I think this layout works. So far the only MOD I've made is to tweak the main entrance and to make it a 2-storey build to better fit in with the town. I'm still not happy with the rear view though and will probably move the "eye clinic" to the ground floor to cover the exposed green baseplate and this will allow me to add the "x-ray department" to the first floor. (this should be done before the hospital "officially" opens!)

43273474341_9aaf54b49f_c.jpgimage by g.nat, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.... comments are always welcome.