Hey all,

At the last day of the year I want to show you my build for the bull-back contest.
The motor is winded-up using the wheel and relaesed by pusing the axle beside it.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

From the motor to the clutch it is geared using a 12/36 and a 8/40 combination. After the clutch there is also a 12/36 reduction.
If I turn the wheel 4 times around and release it, then the second 36 tooth gear turns almost half around. That is enough for lifting the road completely.

I added the clutch for some kind of safety. In neutral I won't wind-up the motor when lowering the bridge.

800x450.jpg

And a video:

Next step is building something to slow down the motor.

Comments are welcome!

https://bricksafe.com/pages/nick97/tc13

Very original! I like it.

You could use some sort of clock escapement to slow it down.

Thanks for the great comments!

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

You could use some sort of clock escapement to slow it down.

Thanks for the advise. I'll try to figure out something tomorrow:thumbup:

Indeed very original idea, but also well executed with the black bricks for the road separated by a white line and the blue panels for the water. I like it!

How about connecting the pull back motor output axle to a disconnected (from power supply) PF motor. It takes a lot force to turn a PF motor that is not moving. I have not tried this out myself but this idea occurred to me.

Just now, SaGo said:

How about connecting the pull back motor output axle to a disconnected (from power supply) PF motor. It takes a lot force to turn a PF motor that is not moving. I have not tried this out myself but this idea occurred to me.

A more simple way would be to connect the pullback output to an axle-pin with friction ridges, which is inserted into a secured pinhole.

On ‎1‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 10:03 AM, WvG_853 said:

Indeed very original idea, but also well executed with the black bricks for the road separated by a white line and the blue panels for the water. I like it!

Thanks!

On ‎1‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 12:18 PM, Didumos69 said:

A more simple way would be to connect the pullback output to an axle-pin with friction ridges, which is inserted into a secured pinhole.

I tried it, but this way the pull-back motor (I use) won't turn the axle at all.

I did found another system to slow it down, a small clock escapement I've seen in this video:

This system slows the motor down perfectly. After winding-up completely, the bridge raises much slower than without.
I will take some pictures tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, nick97 said:

This system slows the motor down perfectly. After winding-up completely, the bridge raises much slower than without.
I will take some pictures tomorrow.

:thumbup:

Hey all,

Here are some pictures of the (almost) finished bridge:
800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

I added a small clock escapement to slow down the pull-back motor. In the video you can see it is much slower now:

And one with view of the clock escapement:

Edited by nick97

Very original idea. My only complain goes to very colorfull display

In my last post (from 3 January) I said almost finished build, as I wanted to build a small bridge house beside the bridge. The bridge would be controlled in such a building in real life.
But I haven't had much time to do that, so I skip it. It already looks good enough to me.

On ‎3‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 3:50 PM, I_Igor said:

My only complain goes to very colorfull display

I can easily explain all the colors with a little imagination:wink:
Blue is water, black and white represents the road.
Yellow represents wood, as it is a smal old bridge. I don't have brown in my collection so I used yellow for it.
Grey represent concrete. This part of the construction got damaged and is rebuild with concrete to reduce the change of breaking down again.

2 minutes ago, nick97 said:

I can easily explain all the colors with a little imagination:wink:
Blue is water, black and white represents the road.
Yellow represents wood, as it is a smal old bridge. I don't have brown in my collection so I used yellow for it.
Grey represent concrete. This part of the construction got damaged and is rebuild with concrete to reduce the change of breaking down again.

:laugh:

5 minutes ago, Jurss said:

How is it closed/lowered? Is there some reverse gearbox?

I think he has a neutral gear to lower it.

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

How is it closed/lowered? Is there some reverse gearbox?

As you can see in my video I'm moving two levers before releasing the pull-back motor.
The first lever is for the clock-escapement, as it stalls when turned backwards.
The second lever is for the lifting mechanism. When winding-up the motor I have to turn the wheel 7 times around. If I wind the motor with the bridge lever engaged, the bridge lowers only half of its way.

On 31-12-2017 at 2:52 PM, mocbuild101 said:

I like it! - It's a great idea, and very different.

Exactly how I feel about it. :thumbup: