Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] Post Mill with Roundhouse

One of the signature sights of the Weelond coast are the windmills taking full advantage of the stiff breeze blowing in from the Sea of Storms. Last month I presented "Grist Mill #1"; this month I present the mill cleverly designated in the city ledgers as "Grist Mill #2".

wm2.jpg

It is a post mill like the other one, but instead of the trestle supports being open to view, a roundhouse is built around the supports to serve as a storage area for grain to be milled or flour ready to be delivered.

wm1.jpg

I originally planned on presenting the two windmills as part of one large scene, but I didn't have enough green plates to handle the terrain. But to show that I didn't reuse any of the first windmill, here they are together.

both.jpg

As usual, all C&C welcome.

Nice windmill. I thought it was the same one you posted last month, until I saw the last photo.:grin: I like the rounded base, it looks awesome.

I think it makes a lot of sense for post mill number 2 to be of the same construction design as number one, although like Bodi I did do a double take at first! I like the round house underneath, probably a bit more than the also excellent trestle on the first one. Again the track around the windmill and the landscape and goats are awesome. Great job!

8 hours ago, Bodi said:

Nice windmill. I thought it was the same one you posted last month, until I saw the last photo.:grin: I like the rounded base, it looks awesome.

Thanks. Doing the round base was a lot of fun. It's the second time I've used that technique.

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I think it makes a lot of sense for post mill number 2 to be of the same construction design as number one, although like Bodi I did do a double take at first! I like the round house underneath, probably a bit more than the also excellent trestle on the first one. Again the track around the windmill and the landscape and goats are awesome. Great job!

Thanks. I knew I had to post a picture of both windmills together. I had this one 75% finished when I posted the first one last month. And if they hadn't originally been intended to be part of the same build, I would have certainly changed it up considerably. But part of what I wanted to show originally was essentially the same mill with and without the roundhouse.

4 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

I second Ayrlego ! the round track and the landscape are great, and this windmill's base is awesome

Thanks, although I had trouble with the track around the mill on this one; I didn't quite get the radius right.

Thanks for the comments! I think I'm done with windmills for a bit, or at least post mills. But I got some good experience with that siding technique, and I got to use that technique for round walls again, so it was a good building experience.

Very nice Capt. Wolf, you've clearly mastered the art of the Post Mill. We'd be happy to pay for one in Mesabi Landing if you ever get the time. :classic:

Great variation Capt Wolf, nice job on the stone base and all!  Good to see Weelond continue to expand!

Nice one as well, although I prefer the #1 for some strange reason which I can't express well enough (maybe the engineer inside me craves for intricate trestles :tongue: ). My only criticism, purely cosmetic though, is that I would prefer the piece around the base door in another color (such as reddish brown instead of white) so as to better match the upper section. Other than that, your mill design (both old and new) is one of the best I've seen around!!!

Oh, and please bring back the sheep!!! A cameo at least!! :grin:

17 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Very nice Capt. Wolf, you've clearly mastered the art of the Post Mill. We'd be happy to pay for one in Mesabi Landing if you ever get the time. :classic:

Thanks. I certainly spent more time with them than I intended. Maybe we can work something out in the future.

17 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Great variation Capt Wolf, nice job on the stone base and all!  Good to see Weelond continue to expand!

Thanks. Building the stone base was fun. And gotta have factories to grow. :wacko:

1 hour ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice one as well, although I prefer the #1 for some strange reason which I can't express good enough (maybe the engineer inside me craves for intricate trestles :tongue: ). My only criticism, purely cosmetic though, is that I would prefer the piece around the base door in another color (such as reddish brown instead of white) so as to better match the upper section. Other than that, your mill design (both old and new) is one of the best I've seen around!!!

Oh, and please bring back the sheep!!! A cameo at least!! :grin:

Thanks. I actually prefer the open trestle one as well. And if that door frame came in any other reasonable color, I would have used it in a flash. I think my choices were white, red, or yellow (and the red did not work with the dark red at all).

And the sheep will return in a future build, no worries. :pir-grin: