ranghaal

[MOC] Fantasy medieval house front

3 hours ago, iammac said:

A question for you though: about how many parts do you think this used?

Hi Mac!

Honestly, I don't know...
Maybe between 5000 - 10000?

The style is extremely lavish/wasteful (don't know if these are the right words).

21 hours ago, Trance89 said:

I guess you did a lot of research and/or trying to find techniques by yourself before you started building this. Also thanks for sharing some techniques. I hope to see more MOCS made by you.

I spent almost 2 years assembling bricks. I bought collections, built some of the modells, sold them and kept the rest of the parts. I read "The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide" in 2015 - which was a complete waste of money and time even in the very beginning :thumbdown: 
I researched some general technique tutorials in the net.
I got many ideas while sorting incredible amounts of Lego. Also everytime I ordered via bricklink I tinkered around with the bricks.

But actually most of the techniques were developed while building. I must have been the slowest builder around. :hmpf_bad:
My new MOC is almost finished and this time it took me only a few weeks :sweet: 

2 years is a long time *huh*

But don't worry, it's better to take your time to try something new and create something good instead of rushing your build with the same old techniques and not really liking the MOC yourself afterwards. I'm not a fast builder myself so I know how it is. I sit down from time to time just trying some techniques, but the majority of them end up disassembled without being used.

1 hour ago, Trance89 said:

2 years is a long time *huh*

Not for this build :wink: just to gather parts.

I didn't want to start without having a good stock and I didnt' know anything about Lugbulk.

And it takes ages getting enough useful parts just by salvaging collections.

This is awesome! I love all that shapes and the style of whole of diorama is very pleasant to watch :)

10 hours ago, Jack Bricker said:

I love the inside of the stone arch

Me, too :laugh:

Though it is a bit sloppy (you can see a hinge and I didn't bother to hide it this time. It was the last part of the whole moc).

It's easy to build but offers a real nice effect. I have to do this some time again, but more visible :wink:

Edited by ranghaal

Hey, I saw you took down your post about the contests, but just so you can get a feel for what the contests are like, I'll put some links here like I said I would.

The TourneyThe Summer JoustMiddle Earth Lego OlympicsColosal Battle ContestColosal Castle Contest. *Note, these are past contests, minus The Tourney, which is going on, and they might extend the deadline due to the number of entries. :)

I don't think I could make something half as good looking, even if I had all the bricks in the world and a 1 year to do in! Incredible model, great details, and so cool looking! Keep up the fantastic work!

6 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

I don't think I could make something half as good looking, even if I had all the bricks in the world and a 1 year to do in!

You made some nice builds yourself!
The key to my building style is time and lots of tinkering. I build extremely non accordant to the Lego system; you can't do that digitally.

And you don't really need that much bricks (ok, you still need a lot, but not extreme amounts).

Edited by ranghaal

Wow, can’t believe this is actually your first MOC, I wish I was as talented as you! I have no words to say, really love the cartoonish look and your clever building techniques :wub_drool: I am not saying that for going off-topic but I’m personally a modular fan (as my username implies  :grin:) this MOC gave me an excellent inspiration, I hope I have enough time in near future to design it! I’ll be admiring this MOC for some time and I really hope seeing more MOCs by you! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us! Keep it up :thumbup:

Cheers!

Edited by LegoModularFan

6 hours ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

Hey, I saw you took down your post about the contests, but just so you can get a feel for what the contests are like, I'll put some links here like I said I would.

The TourneyThe Summer JoustMiddle Earth Lego OlympicsColosal Battle ContestColosal Castle Contest. *Note, these are past contests, minus The Tourney, which is going on, and they might extend the deadline due to the number of entries. :)

Thanks again Roanoke!

Yes I'm aware that they are in the past.
I have to have much more practise before I can take part in a contest yet (I'm much too slow right now).
And I also have to get my Lego sorted first :-)
And I have to get some minifigures :blush:

So the the summer joust, the ccc or cbc might be fine.

P.S.: what to you mean I took down my post? It's still there :-)

Cheers
Ralf

Edited by ranghaal

12 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

but I’m personally as a modular fan (as my username implies  :grin:) this MOC gave me an excellent inspiration,

That's really flattering to me :blush:

Whereas the castle scene seems to be obsessed with building techniques (and, yes, I'm one of the worst), lots of modular buildings are a little too basic.

My next build will have lots of contemporary buildings. I hope I can do it in February.

7 hours ago, ranghaal said:

You made some nice builds yourself!
The key to my building style is time and lots of tinkering. I build extremely non accordant to the Lego system; you can't do that digitally.

And you don't really need that much bricks (ok, you still need a lot, but not extreme amounts).

Thanks!

Yeah, I can tell you put a lot of effort into that build. It really paid off. Landscapes are not my strong suit as you can probably tell from my models! Great build though!

On 15/01/2018 at 11:23 AM, ranghaal said:

The style is extremely lavish/wasteful (don't know if these are the right words).

Maybe you used a lot of bricks but it’s definitely not wasting bricks, it’s what makes it magical and shows your unique style :wub:

10 hours ago, ranghaal said:

My next build will have lots of contemporary buildings. I hope I can do it in February.

Looking forward!

I should say again: Your model is truly impressive and I’ll take a closer look to understand some techniques used for that! This is a very inspirational work :classic: It would be great if you make a medieval layout with making some models like this one!

Cheers!

Edited by LegoModularFan

Really wondering how it doesn't fall apart! A very impressive build, capturing a very nice fantasy feel. Straight out of Lord of the Rings or something of the sort.

wow. It's almost unbelievable this is your first moc ever. I can't wait to see what you build when you're an experienced moccer. 

I really love the ramshackle style

Fantastic!  There is a lot to like about this build: the irregular base, the use of advanced techniques for the round edges and trees, the color choices, the level of detail in the stones by using all the plates, and the separate island of foliage and tree off to the left.  This is even more impressive considering that you have really pulled yourself up by the bootstraps (so to speak) by working so hard to teach yourself and innovate techniques to do what you wanted.  Very well done!

I also appreciate that you were able to do this without being in a LUG.  The number of olive green and dark orange parts available show your perseverance in procuring these parts.  A lot of people say "you don't need a big collection of Lego to build great things".  While that is technically true, I find it to be disingenuous.  As you have determined, you need a collection of the right parts.  You could not have built anything like this by buying the 'classic' bulk Lego buckets; a lot of folks get these parts through the LUG program, which is great for them, but it is not realistic for most of us to get parts this way.  It's inspiring to see someone like yourself who has gone through the trouble to gather the needed parts the hard way and come up with this amazing build.  Congratulations on such a great build, and doubly so for the way in which you did it!