ranghaal

[MOC] Fantasy medieval house front

Hi Folks,

I recently finished my 1st MOC ever and would like to present it here.
I hope there are some of you who still enjoy looking at walls in strange angles  :-)

The cartoony style is done by purpose and I didn't aim for realism.

39240861321_2932ff434d_c.jpgThe Front - Fantasy medieval like house front - Lego MOC by Ralf Langer, auf Flickr

It features some twisted, huge trees, discoloured bricks and taxing techniques.

I'm so glad it is finally finished. It was a little bit to tall for a first MOC. I even planed to build a hill as a socket and a forest, too. But I totally underestimated size and weight. I tried to do it mostly by myself without looking at other MOCs and so It took me ages to fiddle out all thouse angles and techniques. 

27465513559_231fd0370d_c.jpgThe Front - Lego MOC of a fantasy medieval house front by Ralf Langer, auf Flickr

There are no half attached bricks or plates. All the angles were done using hinges. 

27465583269_a5d7c019f2_c.jpgMOC1c by Ralf Langer, auf Flickr

Cheers!

Wow! Very nice work! Those trees look great! The colors all around are great, but my favorite part has to be the stonework, you captured a really nice look with those. :D Excellent first moc! :)

Really nice work for your first MOC published here!  This looks like it could come straight out of a Disney movie--great shaping overall! :thumbup:

Thanks for your comments :sweet:

If anyone is interested in some more comments on the build or some techniques just drop a note here and I post some more photos.

Edited by ranghaal

Beatiful moc, great usage of parts and techniques and also good combination of colors. A construction overall very very well done. :thumbup:

On 2.1.2018 at 5:17 AM, x105Black said:

Is there an interior?

Short answer: no :-D

Long answer:
There are some reasons why there is no interior.
The most impotant one is that the walls and windows are held together with joints, so there is not much place for an interior.
Take a look at the tower for example.

Photo DELETED. Ask me for a new one if wanted.

Edited by ranghaal

Very creative. I don't have the know-how to build at angles. I wish I did.

But as creative as the buildings are, those trees are :wub:. I've been wanting to build some different angled trees too and these look like good inspiration.

On 2.1.2018 at 7:52 PM, TheLegoDr said:

I've been wanting to build some different angled trees too 

Maybe this helps?

PHOTO DELETED. Ask me for a new one.

When I was building the Grand Emporium there was a technique used for the "SHOP" sign that inspired me to do a similar technique for trees. 

Sorry for the bad picture quality. I'm not allowed to upload pictures with more than 0,05MB (Why).

I did a short introduction how to build these trees in this german forum:

https://roguebricks.de/forum/index.php?thread/954-bäume-groß-und-krumm/

Edited by ranghaal

Clever!. Thanks for sharing.

And the upload limit is mostly for signature and main picture. It is best to use a photo sharing website for larger files.

What a first MOC *huh* :wub:
Lots of absolutely gorgeous designs on display here! Those trees, and the the stonework of the tallest section are especially pretty :wub:

Have you considered joining Guilds of Historica?

8 minutes ago, soccerkid6 said:

What a first MOC *huh* :wub:
Lots of absolutely gorgeous designs on display here! Those trees, and the the stonework of the tallest section are especially pretty :wub:

Have you considered joining Guilds of Historica?

That's very kind of you. I'm quite under shock at the moment, though. I haven't studied other MOCs to develop some kind of my own style. An hour ago I clicked through all the MOCs by Cesbrick - I feel like a guitarist who has seen/heard Van Halen or Hendrix for the first time (not now, but in the 60s resp. 70s when they were groundbreking and unique). 
I would do most of the things differently now. Man, this is disillusioning:cry_sad: 

As for the Guilds of Historica, I don't know what it is right know but I will have a look! Thanks for recommending.

Excellent !

A great use of the ball joints ! I also like your trees, they seem very realistic !

I assume you're a LUG member or a long time AFOL seeing the elaborated techniques you're using here. It's not really your first MOC, well, I think it's your first MOC published here...

Like Soccerkid suggested, you should consider joining Guild of Historica... 

Excellent work ! :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Faladrin said:

I assume you're a LUG member or a long time AFOL seeing the elaborated techniques you're using here. It's not really your first MOC, well, I think it's your first MOC published here...

Nope. Believe it or not. It's my first MOC (not counting things I built as a child or the technical studies I did while building up my collection).

And it took me months(!) to figure out all those techniques - so just hard work, no shortcut or magic involved :-)

I didn't have Lugbulk bricks and I'm still not a real member of any LUG - but I hope this will change.

Excellent !

A great use of the ball joints ! I also like your trees, they seem very realistic !

Thanks!

Yes, I used those ball joints nearly everywhere. I bought hundreds of those in the Lego store.

I'm actually quite unhappy with the trees. While I still love the rest, I have to rework the trees sometimes. I think the basic idea how I built them is quite good, but the scale does not fit to the rest. The ratio of the trunc and the height is wrong. And they need much more leaves... It already was a nightmare in terms of stability, but somehow I have to add much more leaves. 

Like Soccerkid suggested, you should consider joining Guild of Historica... 

I plan to do some more MOCs before, so it might take a few months, but I will have a close look at it (and likely join)!

Edited by ranghaal

This is very impressive for a first MOC. I guess you did a lot of research and/or trying to find techniques by yourself before you started building this. Also thanks for sharing some techniques. I hope to see more MOCS made by you.

Beefy feet! Wow!

You're too humble, and it's flattering on a person with your skill. I'm sold on those angles....they're so different than what LEGO is designed for. A question for you though: about how many parts do you think this used?

Keep it up and welcome to Eurobricks!

MAC