First post on this forum but I am really blown away by this. This has a level of detail that surpasses anything I could ever even think about producing. Very well done !!!!

Ridiculous!

How does the lift capacity compare to the real thing? Forgive my ignorance but, I have no idea how lifting 33% of its own mass compares to the world of cranes. 

3 hours ago, Boulderer said:

Ridiculous!

How does the lift capacity compare to the real thing? Forgive my ignorance but, I have no idea how lifting 33% of its own mass compares to the world of cranes. 

Real thing:
Interesting fact about Liebherr cranes is that you can figure out how heavy they are and what is their load capacity, just by looking at them.
Namely, when you see how much axles they have, you multiply that number with 12 tons, and you get the actual weight of the crane. And when you see their number next to their name, you just remove first number, and you get how much they can lift in tons.

Let's use the Liebherr LTM 1040 crane for example:

liebherr-ltm-1040-2-1-driving-position-ehingen-landscape.jpg

Number of axles: 2.
2 x 12 tons equals total weight of 24 tons.

Name: LTM 1040.
1040, when we remove first number "1", we are left with 040, or 40 tons of lifting capacity.

About Dawid's crane, the real machine can lift 1000 tons (Liebherr LR 11000, removing "1" leaves us with 1000t). About weight, for this crane we need to know what exactly it has from its equipment, as it can have different modules that can increase/decrease the weight. It can have counterweight of 750+ tons.

11 hours ago, samlr said:

This defies the rules of physics. Just amazing !

it doesn't. and that is the most amazing part of it!

3 hours ago, Boulderer said:

Ridiculous!

Really can't compare the two...... as they are made from different materials entirely. 

One high grade steel, the other, plastic.

What can be said is what I mentioned earlier in this post..... others have built some good looking cranes with really little to no lifting capacity.  they really only support their own weight.  Others still have built something that is also quite functional, and can lift quite a bit, but the looks are primitive at best.

IMO, this is the first crane that truly combines both.....

Having built several large cranes myself I understand the complexities of building such a crane (although mine have never even been in the ball-park of Dawid's).  Just the reeving of the string  through the hook block must have taken forever.....

This is on a whole other level of massive, the fact that it can move itself around let alone a chair is unreal. I love the insane level of detail and it all functions..... Incredible :wub:

Edited by DugaldIC

7 hours ago, Milan said:

Real thing:
Interesting fact about Liebherr cranes is that you can figure out how heavy they are and what is their load capacity, just by looking at them.
Namely, when you see how much axles they have, you multiply that number with 12 tons, and you get the actual weight of the crane. And when you see their number next to their name, you just remove first number, and you get how much they can lift in tons.

Let's use the Liebherr LTM 1040 crane for example:

liebherr-ltm-1040-2-1-driving-position-ehingen-landscape.jpg

Number of axles: 2.
2 x 12 tons equals total weight of 24 tons.

Name: LTM 1040.
1040, when we remove first number "1", we are left with 040, or 40 tons of lifting capacity.

About Dawid's crane, the real machine can lift 1000 tons (Liebherr LR 11000, removing "1" leaves us with 1000t). About weight, for this crane we need to know what exactly it has from its equipment, as it can have different modules that can increase/decrease the weight. It can have counterweight of 750+ tons.

Absolutely right! But you forgot about the counterweight. For examble their flagship LTM 11200 weights 96 tons has 9 axles and counterweight weights 220 tons. Without it it's impossible to rise such huge weight :classic:

Absolutely incredible. I can only echo others comments. 

Congratulations on front page and pro tag. You deserve it!

Out of curiosity, what is that hook piece you used for the railings? 

@Milan thank you for the detailed response. 

@nerdsforprez I understand the material differences, I was just intrigued by the comparison. I imagine the joints will fail on the Lego, before the beams themselves. 

Incredible work, and welcome to Eurobricks. Like @nerdsforprez said, it's hard to imagine something this huge being functional at the same time. Congratulations on the engineering that went into this build. 

4 hours ago, Oliver 79 said:

Absolutely incredible. I can only echo others comments. 

Congratulations on front page and pro tag. You deserve it!

No more Words, I´d seen it before on DB Forum.

I´ve seen other Crawler crane, but this is the BOSS

That is one huge...bit of paper!

look forward to seeing the inner details of this awesome crane. It looks so sturdy lifting and moving things around.