Dilvish

Physical part size verification

I have created a SNOT road model as in the attached image.

Could someone confirm 100% that the cyan parts are actually the same size/height in real life as in LDraw? They are part "2555.dat" "Tile 1x1 with clip".

If they're off by even a small amount, it will ruin my build.

Thanks.

ldr_snotroad_test_01.png

Edited by Dilvish

Could you post a 3d view of how exactly the road is attached to the sidewalk? I'm not exactly sure what you're doing with those white and yellow parts on the left side.

Yellow parts seem to be jumpers.  So the space under the road is 1 plate + ½ stud = 2¼ plates = 18 LDU.

I just measured a 12825 and a 15712, they are both 0.736 cm = 18 LDU high.  So it’s a perfect match! :classic:

And, FWIW, that build works in LDD with 2555 and 12825 but not with 15712.

How about this build?

Does the "LEGO" logo on top of the bottom-right stud prevent this from working IRL? Thanks.

ldr_sidestud_01.png

6 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

Yes. Page 5 of Jamie Berard’s presentation “Stressing the Elements” :wink:

It says, "This extra height causes the stud on the blue brick above to touch the side of the yellow one." I kind of NEED it to touch the sides. What I DON'T want is for it to alter the direction of or lift the yellow part.

Edited by Dilvish

He says it’s illegal.  That means it adds stress.  Therefore the yellow brick is not merely brushed, it’s slightly pushed.  That’s how I understand it.

On the other hand, there’re several examples of official sets (and modern ones) that use “illegal” techniques and “near-enoughs.”

It should be easy to instead switch to a hollow studded brick. But might that not leave a gap between the bottom and top bricks? Since I am trying to support the top brick with the bottom one.

Edited by Dilvish

Theoretically (that is, as I understand the theory):

With a hollow stud, there will be a little play, the usual brick tolerance (0.1 mm is the value given most often for brick width).  Tolerance is good.

With a logoed stud, there will be stress (0.14 - 0.1 = 0.04 mm), which isn’t advised.

Practically (I just tried, with new bricks):

With a hollow stud, the fit is perfect.

With a logoed stud, the logo clearly pushes the brick.