What do you hope to see from TLG's current relationship with The Walt Disney Company?*

Whether it be ideas for Direct to Consumer sets, new themes and franchises, particular characters for potential future Collectable Minifigure lines, sets for the current Disney Princess theme, or even sets based upon Disney Park attractions, share and discuss your ideas and dreams here!

*This discussion only pertains to franchises part of the Disney brand, and not Walt Disney & Co. acquirements such as Marvel, Lucasfilm, Fox, etc.

From the Theme Parks:

• Sleeping Beauty Castle: Once the Cinderella Castle is retired this would be a good follow up with the original Disneyland Castle depicted in the model.
  • Steamboat (Mark Twain, etc.) Most Disney parks have replica paddlewheelers running in them, this would make a large display model set that would catch the eyes of many FOLs.
  • Haunted Mansion: Imagine something similar to the Monster Fighter's Haunted House but a bit bigger, with some play-features to recreate iconic ride moments (stretching room, Doombuggy's, etc.)
  • Big Thunder Mountain: Another ride that could offer an intriguing playset location, using the new roller coaster pieces to go through a model of the red rock mountain.

As much as I love the theme parks; they do have a far more limited audience than the TV/Movies Disney makes has, so it limits the type of sets we could get. I chose the ones above because they seem to be the most unique while also not stepping on the toes of the Sci-Fi and Fantasy stuff we already are getting in the Star Wars/Marvel/Princess sets. As for the films...

• Pirates of the Caribbean (wide release theme): The previous theme had some cool sets, and while we did have a large D2C model last year another full wide release theme would be rather unique.
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea submarine D2C: Wasn't that model on Lego ideas once? Really would be cool to see that ship make it into an official Lego set. A bit of an obscure film now, but the unique look of the sub could help sell the D2C.
  • Pixar (other than Cars/Toy Story/Juniors Incredibles). I would love to see some minifigure sized Wall-E themed sets, a D2C of the house from UP, or even a small series release from the Monsters Inc. films. The restraint from Ratatouille could be another good Disney D2C pick (I have way to many D2C ideas on this list...). 

I'm sure I could think of more, but that is just a few ideas on the top of my head.

I think the Dwarves' Cottage from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves would make an awesome and most ideal D2C set, especially when you consider that the film was the motion picture industry's first ever full length animated feature. Naturally, the set must include minifigures, and not minidolls.

Also, if there was one Disney character I'd want to see the most as a minifigure in the near future, it would be The Rocketeer:purrr:

41 minutes ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea submarine D2C: Wasn't that model on Lego ideas once? Really would be cool to see that ship make it into an official Lego set. A bit of an obscure film now, but the unique look of the sub could help sell the D2C.

Oh yes, and how I do wish the Ideas staff had approved it for production! 

LEGO Ideas - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea NAUTILUS

Oh well. :sad:

I bought the Beauty and the Beast castle mainly for the minidolls and brick-built characters, but I was unimpressed with the castle itself, as it was a hodge-podge of tan, light purple, and dark red.   I'd like to see a better castle (or at least one with a more consistent color palette), and maybe a village scene from that film (the animated one) as well - maybe Belle in her blue village dress at the bookshop.  Or Gaston's tavern with antlers everywhere.

I'd also like to see a better Aladdin set - maybe Aladdin and Jasmine together on the magic carpet with mini builds of various landmarks. Or the Agrabah marketplace.

I think a happy medium for those who want a Disney Parks ride as well as some way to display their Disney figures would be the Wonderland Teacups! Characters in costume go on the ride all the time in the parks so it not only would look great and be fun to mess with but it would be a cool way to display your Disney figures and your regular figures together.

I have to admit: my first love, Disney-wise, is Disneyland itself, and most of my wishlist is going to be more sets related to the theme parks. Here's some of what I've come up with.

* Jungle Cruise: For the uninitiated, this is a ride where you board a large African Queen-style boat and take a tour through the jungle with a sarcastic safari guide. I think you could get an entire theme out of this concept, which includes tropical scenes from three continents (yes, on a single river--it's part of the joke), but if it were just a single set, it would have to be the boat, with skipper and tourist minifigs, plus a patch of riverbank with thick foliage and some sort of large wild animal.

* Haunted Mansion: This would have to be a pretty large set, including a build of the house itself (likely with an open back to display interior scenes), an attached graveyard, and a Doom Buggy. Assuming eight minifigs, my picks would be: the three Hitchhiking Ghosts, the Bride in the attic, the Hatbox Ghost, two ballroom dancing ghosts, and a tourist to ride in the Doom Buggy. And of course we'd also get Madam Leota, but she's just a head in a globe, not a full minifig.

* Star Tours: I'm kind of surprised this one doesn't already exist, given the three-way linkages between LEGO, Disney, and Star Wars. The "Star Speeder" spaceliner invented for the ride has been imported back into Star Wars canon, even. Here's what the current iteration looks like. The paint job might be a little difficult to render in LEGO, but I think they could cook up a decent compromise.

* Enchanted Tiki Room: A bamboo hut occupied by dozens of tropical birds, magic singing flowers, and animated Tiki statues. This would be more stylish than playable, but at least it's iconic.

* Fantasyland ride vehicles: An assortment of small builds suitable for displaying minifigs. doclord suggests Teacups, and one of those would certainly be included, but the Fantasyland rides include everything from a miniature pirate ship to a caterpillar car to an antique motor car. This would also be a good excuse to add more Disney character minifigs if they didn't want to release an entire new series of collectibles.

So:

- all missing people: Mushu, Mulan in armor, 7 Dwarves, Queen and Witch from Snowhite, Maleficent dragon, the 3 fairies (not only one) , Gaston, Belle in blue dress and her father, Aladdin (regular/prince) , Jaffar, Jasmine's father, their palace and a market, all Arielle's sisters, king Triton, Melody, Gothel, thiefs, soldiers and sun symbol from Tangled, Cinderella 's stepsisters and stepmother, Tiana and Naveen.

- Skylar and Elena d' Avalor in red dress. 

- Pepita  from Coco

-Nautilus from 20000

- Mary Poppins and all

- Tinker bell, Peter, Hook, Smee, Terence, Queen Clarion, fairy Mary Bobble and Clanck (Clark et Gabble), Periwinkle, Lord Milory, Iridessa and all the others fairies, playable and solid birds in ideas or elves style, bugs, round fairy  houses and a enormous big tree with fairy dust. And a flying fairy boat. Lost children, Tiger Lily, Mermaids, Wendy, Michael and John, Nana (dog) , etc. 

- big splash with Nemo, Dory, Hank, Mr. Ray (??)  and others fish playable, turtle, bale shark (?), sea horses, etc. 

- monster inc

- Up house.

My wish: minidolls, playable, for kids creating stories and imagination. Easy to mix with elves and friends for youngers.

And classical ones for olders. 

Playable for kids, and collectors for adults.

Same way others Disney's stuff. 

Please :) 

Thank you very much :) 

Edited by sousmarineuse
Translation, names, etc. Sorry for my horrific English!

The Disney CMF series was the only series I collected in its entirety, and I'd love a second series! A potential lineup that sounds fun and viable off the top of my head:

Disney Collectable Minifigures Series 2:

• Fantasia Mickey
  • Goofy
  • Mulan (with Mushu)
  • Belle 
  • Beast
  • Judy Hopps
  • Nick Wilde
  • Robin Hood (in order to get mileage out of the mold used for Nick).
  • Elsa
  • Olaf (in summer outfit to differentiate from the sets)
  • Jafar
  • Jasmine
  • Mike Wazowski or Boo
  • Sully
  • Snow White
  • Evil Queen
  • Rapunzel
  • Flynn Rider

4 hours ago, sousmarineuse said:

Unless Disney decides to bring the franchise under the wing of the Disney brand after sorting out their acquisition of Fox, it is considered simply as an acquisition of The Walt Disney Company, and is not pertinent to this discussion.

But, having that said, I do believe we'll see the franchise come to Lego by the time the sequels roll out, and I'd be interested to see how potential sets could turn out. :classic:

10 hours ago, Karalora said:

I have to admit: my first love, Disney-wise, is Disneyland itself, and most of my wishlist is going to be more sets related to the theme parks.

It's much more obscure than other Disney theme park attractions, but I recently became aware of this one sub-theme park that's a part of Tokyo DisneySea in Japan. Port Discovery has some really cool looking Retrofuturistic/Decopunk architecture that I'd wish (though never plausably expect) to see attempted by Lego. :blush:

Spoiler

4d3631330cf62eb8eaefa2b920114de0.jpg79e3edbe42256504f329287d8462ad8b.jpgd34b0ce368bdb65d16b909d95561f7b7.jpg

Sorry, I'm not expert in differents franchises and all the stuff. 

You wrote "sets based upon Disney Park attraction" and "dreams" : I do :) 

But thanks for precision ;) 

Other ideas: manta ray from Moana/Vaiana, maybe in dragon elves style, and her grandmother, mother and father. 

And something relative to Nutcracker. I don't know exactly what. Maybe a cosy living room with an enormous Christmas tree. Or something with sugar plum fairy. 

And yes, Fantasia!  All the centaur's world. 

Just now, sousmarineuse said:

You wrote "sets based upon Disney Park attraction"

Ah, that's right. I totally forgot about Disney's plans for a "World of Pandora" attraction at Walt Disney World. So I guess because of that, perhaps James Cameron's Avatar is relevant to this discussion. :blush:

Ok !  :) 

In fact, many items are generic and can be re used:

- glow in the dark pieces

- blue figs with elves ears

- home tree (Harry Potter, Tinker Bell, elves...) 

- big plants and flowers (I really really want more plants and flowers in lego) 

- flying mountains (ninjago! Waiting flying mountains so long in ninjago!) 

- even banshee/ikran and thanator can be reused in others universes. 

But it's true that license is a real point! 

Maybe Alice in wonderland could be more used too. There's great scenary in Disneyland Paris (labyrinth, teatime places,  and teacups of course) that would be great in lego sets. 

About décopunk architecture, reminds me café hyperion in Disneyland Paris. A good place to eat and imagine stories :) 

It may not be as well known as the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (and therefore less likely to ever happen), but another Steampunk styled Disney submarine that would cool to see would be the Ulysses from 2001's Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

640?cb=20130927110923

44 minutes ago, sousmarineuse said:

About décopunk architecture, reminds me café hyperion in Disneyland Paris.

Man, talk about another wild piece of Retro Futuristic Disney Park architecture. :oh:

DLRP Feb 2009 - Cafe Hyperion and Videopolis Theatre

It occurs to me that the more obscure stuff from the theme parks might actually be more successful with the general public than the well-known stuff. Someone who's never been to Disneyland/Walt Disney World might look at a Haunted Mansion set and think "Oh, it's that Disney thing" and assume it has nothing to offer them as an individual. But the Hyperion .might just appear to be a nifty steampunk airship.

While I don't think Disney will be planning any new action/adventure movies any time soon, I do hope that if they do, Lego will still consider doing sets for them, despite the failure of Disney's last two attempts at new historical action/adventure franchises (a.k.a. Prince of Persia & The Lone Ranger). You see, not only did those two themes give us grittier takes on genres that otherwise would have not turned out the same way if they were in-house takes on those genres, but perhaps we would have never seen such themes at all if it weren't for those two movies. Lego had never done a "sword & sandals" Arabian theme before Prince of Persia, and before The Lone Ranger, an American Wild West theme hadn't been seen in sixteen years. 

So, here's hoping that there's something down the line for Disney action/adventure movies in the near future for Lego's sake, but currently, Disney seems mostly focused on live-action remakes of animated classics for now.

5 hours ago, Karalora said:

It occurs to me that the more obscure stuff from the theme parks might actually be more successful with the general public than the well-known stuff. Someone who's never been to Disneyland/Walt Disney World might look at a Haunted Mansion set and think "Oh, it's that Disney thing" and assume it has nothing to offer them as an individual. But the Hyperion .might just appear to be a nifty steampunk airship.

Or, in line with my hypothesis I shared above, such a set might not sell well at all if it weren't for the Disney branding. 

But hey, I do hope I'm wrong. :classic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

17 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Or, in line with my hypothesis I shared above, such a set might not sell well at all if it weren't for the Disney branding.

It probably depends on the specifics of the theme or the public mood of the moment. Consumers can be so fickle.

Also--and maybe this is just my experience--I see a significant distinction between Disney fans (i.e. of the movies, cartoons, etc.) and Disney theme park fans. Most Disney theme park fans are also Disney fans, but it's not a perfect correlation and most people who consider themselves Disney theme park fans don't love the parks because of the Disney movie-related content, but because of the stuff that's completely unique there.

The upshot is that while a Disney fan might take an interest in something if they find out it's related to a Disney movie, and a Disney theme park fan might take an interest in something if they find out it's related to a Disney theme park, a Disney fan is not necessarily going to sit up and take notice of something that's from a theme park but not a movie.

And then you get the anti-fans, who make a point of hating Disney because of its ubiquity or its business practices or its reputation for kiddie entertainment or just because they're frigging hipsters

So I'd never expected that LEGO would *actually* make official Disney Parks sets, which is why I decided to build my own. And frankly, I'm pretty happy with my designs. So my old wish list has basically evaporated almost completely.

That said, I'd really like to see another Minifig series, if for no other reason than it might yield a Goofy fig and Pluto element. Then the Fab Five would be complete. Toss in a couple more villains and I'd be a happy camper.

4 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

Is possible that we will have a Disney 2 in 2020?

Probably, as I think that January of that year is seemingly the earliest possible date we could expect it. This has been discussed elsewhere multiple times, but to recap, 2018 as we know is out of the picture, and 2019 has two Lego cinematic movies slated for then. If Lego will stay committed to hopefully giving us at least one regular CMS a year, then I think it's safe to say that 2019 is booked. The only way though we might see a second Disney CMS in 2019 is if that year's second cinematic Lego movie, The Billion Brick Race, ends up getting rescheduled by WB for a date in 2020 instead, which I think could plausibly happen. 

Probably like you, I'm surprised that Lego hasn't given us a second Disney CMS sooner, given how well the first one sold. So on that note, to get back on topic, what are your wishes @Pop Star c o for a Disney Series 2?

29 minutes ago, TJJohn12 said:

So I'd never expected that LEGO would *actually* make official Disney Parks sets, which is why I decided to build my own. And frankly, I'm pretty happy with my designs. So my old wish list has basically evaporated almost completely.

I just looked at those now, and I'll say, they're all very good! I really dig your TWA Rocket and how you brick built those shaggy hooves on the horse pulling the Main Street Transit! Perhaps that's old trick, but nonetheless, that's the first time I've ever seen that done. :thumbup: :classic:

46 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I just looked at those now, and I'll say, they're all very good! I really dig your TWA Rocket and how you brick built those shaggy hooves on the horse pulling the Main Street Transit! Perhaps that's old trick, but nonetheless, that's the first time I've ever seen that done. :thumbup: :classic:

Thanks! I've got a couple more models in the "dreaming" queue, including a Disneyland Haunted Mansion. They're designed in LDD, but I need to gather budget and parts. ;-)

My main "wish" is for a Sleeping Beauty (Disneyland LA) Castle to compliment the existing Cinderella (Disney World) Castle.

A second CMF series released at the same time as the Sleeping Beauty Castle would be great.

I could go on and on, but if my entire "wish" list became a reality, my wallet would never forgive me.

An ultimate wish would be for a fully enclosed Cinderella (Disney World) Castle, a complete "Modular" Main Street, vehicles for the Main Street, assorted rides including Haunted Mansion, Dumbo, Teacups, Astro Blasters, Thunder Mountain, a railway and the monorail.

9 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

My main "wish" is for a Sleeping Beauty (Disneyland LA) Castle to compliment the existing Cinderella (Disney World) Castle.

A second CMF series released at the same time as the Sleeping Beauty Castle would be great.

If we were to see a D2C of Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle around the same time as the earliest hypothesized release date for Disney CMS 2 (January 2020), perhaps by then Lego will have retired the 2016 Cinderella Castle, making such a set a timely replacement/successor.

But until then, I do wonder if Lego has a Disney branded D2C in store for this year, since we did see the Castle in 2016, and the POTC Silent Mary following up in 2017. There is a unnamed licensed D2C rumored for 2018 (set no. 71043 at 485€), but most are convinced that it will be for the rumored Harry Potter revival theme.

OK, I'm going to be a Disney-geek Debby Downer:

If Sleeping Beauty Castle was done in the same scale as Cinderella Castle, then the model would be wildly underwhelming. Cindy is 189' tall; SBC is 77' tall. The high central tower of SBC would only rise to about the height of the top of the front clock tower roof peak on Cindy. The center peak of DL's roof would come up to the clock face on Cindy.

The scale of Disneyland's castle and hub - when compared to WDW's MK - is tiny. The forced perspective of Main Street is so much more important at DL than MK.