Brickthus

New Classic Space Monorail

In the monorail system that I have been developing on and off since 2013 (from the Hidaka monorail that uses a City prototype of the Osaka monorail), I have built a Classic Space monorail train.

The train has a new drive-train and is geared down 5:3 so that the heavier train will climb well.  It is still based on a train motor but I stopped using belt drive.  The average speed is up to 0.57m/s.

The lights on the right-hand axle will flash when the train moves.  This uses the other channel of the IR Receiver.  The battery box (AAAs or LiPo) is behind the Space logo and is easy to change.

There is a removable module system.  The module on the train unfolds to become a scooter.  There is a medical stretcher module and a power module on the ground.

It has proven to be reliable on my loft layout.  I will do a video in due course.  I need to get the lighting right as it was too dark last time I did a video in the loft.

t_mbellis_csm01_train_w_tools.jpg

As well as a second Classic Space train and a 2-motor goods train with extra wagons, I have prototypes for Futuron, Blacktron and M-Tron trains.

More pics of the system here

Mark

Very excited to see a video.  I have followed several or your creations in the past with great enthusiasm.  Excited to see this thing in action!

Looks excellent! I'm not an expert in the train technology-department, but judging from the design point of view I like it really a lot.:classic:

Needs more support on the long straight segments, but it's a great set idea.

While I like the technique of making our own "flex track," we know TLG will not go for the way these tracks are made.  I've concluded (and said as much in the comments on ideas) that the WHOLE problem of "monorails" could be solved with a single new part - the 2xX curved tile.  So imagine a 2x8 tile that makes 1/16th or 1/32nd curve.  That's it.  One part.  It would limit the curves (although you could still use your own), but it would make it "legal."  You might need other parts to make it even more interesting, but it would be good enough to make loops.

Edited by fred67

On 4/16/2018 at 6:58 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey, is this yours @Mark Bellis? I'm about 95% sure it is! :sweet:

LEGO Ideas - Space Monorail by markthus 

Absolutely :grin:

On 4/17/2018 at 9:52 PM, fred67 said:

Needs more support on the long straight segments, but it's a great set idea.

While I like the technique of making our own "flex track," we know TLG will not go for the way these tracks are made.  I've concluded (and said as much in the comments on ideas) that the WHOLE problem of "monorails" could be solved with a single new part - the 2xX curved tile.  So imagine a 2x8 tile that makes 1/16th or 1/32nd curve.  That's it.  One part.  It would limit the curves (although you could still use your own), but it would make it "legal."  You might need other parts to make it even more interesting, but it would be good enough to make loops.

Thanks.  Ironically the straight segments need less support than the curves.  I've done straights with a 64M span with no problems - that doubles the span of the previous monorail sets.  The sag you see is the differential depression of the edges of the cardboard sheets on the bed, underneath the scenic sheet.  I've used the 64M spans to enter and exit helical curves; the tangential track needs to reach beyond the radius of the outer curve.

I just posted a new update with the plan for stress-free curves.  There is a useful new piece in 2018 sets, which I have on order.  The project updates are a space to watch - it will develop, just as I did with BB-8.

The greater support is needed in votes!  Are there really enough LEGO monorail fans out there who are not so tied to the obsolete original or bespoke extras that they can support this project and convince the LEGO company to make another monorail set?  How do we find them?

Mark

Congratulations on 100 supporters! I just supported your project myself. Good luck. 

This is off topic, but I just wanted to say that I'm hoping yours, mine, other's monorail designs won't be negatively affected by the New Power Functions 2.0. :sceptic:

I optimistically believe PF2.0 will be a step up, and not down.  I do use the 9V (square battery) converter cable to not have to transport the huge battery box, and I hope they still work with it.

I've checked out the update, and while it satisfies the requirement to not be under stress, it just doesn't look pretty.  I will check back for more updates, though.  Don't get me wrong, though - I already supported the project, and... not all, but most of the monorail projects I've seen.

I still think TLG could give us a useful part for curves that wouldn't cost any more than other new parts and could be used for other builds - everybody wins.  Yes, you'd be restricted to a particular radius, but you'd still be free to make flex-track any way you want anyway.

19 hours ago, fred67 said:

I still think TLG could give us a useful part for curves that wouldn't cost any more than other new parts and could be used for other builds - everybody wins.  Yes, you'd be restricted to a particular radius, but you'd still be free to make flex-track any way you want anyway.

That's exactly how I look at it. A premolded curve piece, preferably with the official Lego train track curve radius, would be great to have, and you still have the option to make your own curved monorail track at whatever curve radius you like.

As for the stress free curves, I think that if Lego were to accept a CRS monorail project, it would likely contain the monorail, and a short section of straight track long enough to allow the monorail to be displayed upon. Also, the power functions would probably be removed and replaced with something structural and/or cosmetic to take the PF components place.