Sign in to follow this  
filsawgood

Lego Rock Rod - Buwizz powered crawler

Hi to all fans of Lego! Today I want to share with you my new work - Rock Rod

FO1_91jbJQw.jpg

Rock Rod - it's the crawler, on the construction of which I was inspired by the fierce custom projects from HAUK Designs. Especially, where, no matter how on the crawler to run a fresh RC DC chequered flag STT PRO rubber wheels and BuWizz. At the output was a relatively light on the portal bridges crawler. At the heart of the model is also the philosophy of placing motors on bridges, to reduce the center of gravity and minimize weight and inertia of the body.

Technical characteristics of the model:
Weight (together with a technic-figure) - 817 g.
Number of parts - 617 pcs.
Steering - Servo motor
Movement - two L motors
Power / Control - BuWizz

Even the "sofa" trial allows us to understand that additions such as non-standard tires and BuWizz significantly expand the scope of use and possibilities of radio controlled Lego models. It remains to wait until the snow comes down, to ride Rock Rod on the rocks. But you can do this before me, by building the Rock Rod yourself by free video instruction.
I plan to test the model in the spring on a severe off-road. I will be very glad to hear from you any advice or wish for the completion of both the technical component of the model and its appearance. Ahead is still half a year :)

NHj5IMQdCKg.jpgeZzrvdVpmbY.jpgWbJYQ1GYOTw.jpg-kYXsjL6tK8.jpg7mJngrWruso.jpgmxpf1RSUWAo.jpgN6UFbdlF15U.jpg1aEa_BKTZiA.jpg

Edited by filsawgood

34 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

None of the photos are showing... :look:

Thank you for your comment. From the computer photos are viewed, and from mobile devices - not. I changed the hosting of images and everything worked. Thank you!

3 hours ago, filsawgood said:

Thank you!

No worries :wink:

Nice crawler, it does look a bit skeletal, but I think that just makes it look cooler!

45 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

what gearing?

1:8.337 (I think...)

I like the simple yet aggressive appearance of this crawler, it looks like it will perform quite well outdoors. :thumbup: Thanks for the instructions!

Only question: what size are those tires, and where did you get them? I would love to have a set like those that would fit my 42037.

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki
Curse of Misspelling was cast

I love your style of custom car models!:thumbup:

Also exhaust-turbo-intake looks like working design, not just cool decoration without any idea how it work in real life:classic:

Edited by rm8

That's pretty great looking, I love the non-traditional mounting of the drive motors. This is also the first time I have seen someone use those tires for Lego, and they seem to work well. 

Those perpendicular gears in the rear axle, though, worry me. Have you had any issues with gear slippage there?

On 27.12.2017 at 7:59 AM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

I like the simple yet aggressive appearance of this crawler, it looks like it will perform quite well outdoors. :thumbup: Thanks for the instructions!

Only question: what size are those tires, and where did you get them? I would love to have a set like those that would fit my 42037.

It's may good looking on 42037! Dimensions - 87x25x1.55

On 28.12.2017 at 12:05 AM, rm8 said:

I love your style of custom car models!:thumbup:

Also exhaust-turbo-intake looks like working design, not just cool decoration without any idea how it work in real life:classic:

A good pont is more expensive than money! But nevertheless here the exhaust somehow works

jeep-rock-rat-haut-designs-designboom-ne

6 hours ago, PunkTacoNYC said:

That's pretty great looking, I love the non-traditional mounting of the drive motors. This is also the first time I have seen someone use those tires for Lego, and they seem to work well. 

Those perpendicular gears in the rear axle, though, worry me. Have you had any issues with gear slippage there?

Specifically, with overloading, this will give the slack and slip. But, I must say that in all Lego off-road cars, everything lies in the limit of durability, and snapping gears and broken cardans this and the real off-road vehicles, consumables