Midlife-crisis

MOC / WIP A-Wing mid size

I was tempted to bricklink Anios UCS A-Wing, but somehow it was a bit too tall for my needs. So i started to build a smaller version - It´s 37 studs long.

It´s the first version i dare to show, but there is much work left especially with the tails, rebuilding the cannons as the distance between them is too big, and maybe a snot version of the nose.

Part count: 574

a-wingmidisizeii74up1.jpg

a-wingmidisize6vusw.jpg

a-wingmidisizeiiit3u5f.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone.

Edited by Midlife-crisis

Looks great! Don't think all of those parts are available and/or cheap though. I don't think all the proportions are that accurate, but overall it looks very good, nice job :thumbup:

And merry christmas to you too :)

Thank you,

Made a few changes - unfortunately, i noticed modified tile 3x4 is not avaliable.

Tails almost fixes, weapons looks better now, the back section after the cockpit is also 1 Stud longer than in the previous version.

amidbuspt.jpg

amid2ejsaa.jpg

20 hours ago, Midlife-crisis said:

I was tempted to bricklink Anios UCS A-Wing, but

I can see how you got some inspiration from my model.

It is a good start. I would suggest to make it thicker, though.
Add 1 plate below the white slopes 4x1 curved.

For the fins, I am also not sure that plate 2x6 with round corner and plate 3x3 cut corner are a good idea.

Front wedge need to be more vertical (use wing 3x2 or 4x2).

At this size, I think you can do the underside with tubes outside. That would simplify the whole built a lot.

Make the red thing behind the windscreen 5 studs wide. With 4L wide, it is too narrow.

Make rear edge vertical.
You have to use pictures for reference. But do not necessarily stick to them for every aspect of the ship.

Sometimes, you have to make some details different for the model to look better in Lego bricks.

I think you have to rework the section behind the cockpit. It must be more massive, and you have to put more flow in it.

Rebrickable link.

During building my own A-Wing, some smaller design issues appeared a handful parts are different but the good news they are all common.

Here is the link to the partlist:

http://filehorst.de/d/cDvBHclc

I offer the instructions for a 5€ fee to get rich quick *huh*

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-11825/G-Vortex/a-wing-midi-size/#comments

a-wingbackrebrickablej2kdj.png

Edited by Midlife-crisis

Okay so if I may put my three cents. The most important piece of advice I can give you is to

NEVER USE NON-OFFICIAL RESOURCES 

for your canon builds. Using non-official resources will cause you deal with:

- your own mistakes

- mistakes of the modeller of the 3d model you used

- (potentially) mistakes of modellers of anything previous modeller based his design on (see where is it going)

- changes due to limitations in LEGO artistic medium.

Using 3d models is cool because they are easy to measure, but I assure you, they are always wrong, just for the very simple reason if you don't have the very original movie model in front of you, you're not going to get it perfect.

So what you're left with? Photos of movie models and screen grabs from movies themselves.

md_A-wing_aft.jpg

This is one of actual ILM filming models. Let's plug it into Sariel's scaling tool, do the same with the reference model you are using and see how it compares. 
We're measuring proportions between engines and the distance between them

kNrPOWD.png

Oops. We have ratio of 100:160 (roughly!) to 100:180. 

You've just been tricked to do your design wrong by someone who made a little mistake in his model.

md_A-wing_side.jpg

Judging by that - altough I can't properly measure your model - you have it a tiny little bit too slim, but that's easily fixable. 

That said: your design is nice. It is clean and definitely has an A-Wing vibe. Most of the details are captured right. It is missing that little angle change about 1/3 triangle's length where it becomes a little bit more narrow. Engines feel off because that 3d model is also wrong. Sorry for that wall of text... I hope it is helpful anyway. 

Edited by Jerac

Hello Jerac,

thank you very much for your answer, and the time you spent to demonstrate the scale differencies. It was indeed helpful, learned some things.

Unfortunately the bottom line is, i have to change the whole model, as it is overall too wide...

14 hours ago, Jerac said:

Okay so if I may put my three cents. The most important piece of advice I can give you is to

- your own mistakes

- (potentially) mistakes of modellers of anything previous modeller based his design on (see where is it going)

Using 3d models is cool because they are easy to measure, but I assure you, they are always wrong, just for the very simple reason if you don't have the very original movie model in front of you, you're not going to get it perfect.

So what you're left with? Photos of movie models and screen grabs from movies themselves.

This is one of actual ILM filming models. Let's plug it into Sariel's scaling tool, do the same with the reference model you are using and see how it compares. 
We're measuring proportions between engines and the distance between them

Oops. We have ratio of 100:160 (roughly!) to 100:180. 

You've just been tricked to do your design wrong by someone who made a little mistake in his model.

Judging by that - altough I can't properly measure your model - you have it a tiny little bit too slim, but that's easily fixable. 

That said: your design is nice. It is clean and definitely has an A-Wing vibe. Most of the details are captured right. It is missing that little angle change about 1/3 triangle's length where it becomes a little bit more narrow. Engines feel off because that 3d model is also wrong. Sorry for that wall of text... I hope it is helpful anyway. 

have spend some time rebuilding it, the ratio is better now. The drawn line is a bit too short because of the angel, but considering this the ratio is 1.65 - 1.7

a-wingbackmeasuren0sze.jpg

the model is also a bit more chubby.

bbi6ojm.png

Mr Crisis, you can't measure like that. It has to be as close to orthogonal view as possible and no angles! Anyway - I've shown you the tools and now you can work the maths yourself :)

I can tell you if the A-Wing "feels" right, after all I spent quite a time mastering my own (which is... not really perfect :D). But for that I'd need a couble of general 3/4 views.

17 hours ago, Jerac said:

- your own mistakes

<snip>

Oh, that scaling tool may prove useful, thanks!

Where do you get your official images?

And do you consider images from official Star Wars games and books as official enough? (cross section books, old canon blueprints/techinical guides, Dice's Star Wars Battlefront I and II)

There is one book - called "Essential guide to star wars vehicles" - which is awfully, and I mean, AWFULLY wrong on many vessels. Using this one almost guarantees you to make your model wrong. This applies however, only to the vehicles which appeared in movies, as all the other can be done however you like it.

As for where to get images from - sadly, google and plenty of searches. "ilm a-wing model" "star wars a-wing filming model" "star wars a-wing movie model front" etc etc. I simply know which models are real and which are not so I can quickly verify if one particular is a 3rd party model or a real one. 

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/exhibit/tie.html

This website has plenty of photos of SW models used for filming. Some of them are damaged or incomplete, and there are many more photos on google, but for example once you know that the filmin Interceptor has one gun missing, then any photo of a dusted interceptor model with a gun missing is the valid one.

23 hours ago, Jerac said:

Mr Crisis, you can't measure like that. It has to be as close to orthogonal view as possible and no angles! Anyway - I've shown you the tools and now you can work the maths yourself :)

I can tell you if the A-Wing "feels" right, after all I spent quite a time mastering my own (which is... not really perfect :D). But for that I'd need a couble of general 3/4 views.

This is what i ended with yesterday - the Reder took some time. The canopy is not optimal for sure and never was.

cshjsyy.png