efferman

42078 Mack Anthem Mods and improvements

@Void_S WOW *oh2* I really hope that you will made it in real bricks even if you made it with parts from this year's mobile crane.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:22 PM, I_Igor said:

@Void_S WOW *oh2* I really hope that you will made it in real bricks even if you made it with parts from this year's mobile crane.

Well, I still pointed to use 42099's color but will try to make it with 42108 parts.

One more teaser of ongoing modification: a hybrid of A a and B original models. Mack MR or TerraPro truck (ignore the rear with 5th wheel please, it remained from the A model):

800x600.jpgtpco_pass_quarter4.png

(the proportions must be corrected for sure)

• 13-stud wide cabin with protruding wheel arches like on real-life truck
  • inline 6 strokes engine, taken from Anthem with minor changes (TerraPro have the same MP8 and MP7 engines, so it must be the same, like was in B model)
  • openable doors. I regret that B model of LR had no them...
  • tiltable cabin. After F700, another cabover truck, where I managed to make a tiltable cabin with engine access a with working steering wheel, I going to try to make it again. Just can't say "it's impossible"
  • unified chassis structure compatible with all previously presented (and further coming I hope) frames and wheel combinations.
  • and, for sure, the wipes!

Possible "end-up result" I imagine as a 6x4 normal truck chassis + "expanded version" with twin steering equipped with concrete pump (the most common TerraPro "body"): foldable "pipe", outriggers, concrete "inlet" to be used with Cement Mixer truck. For sure, the pipes will be fake ones...

Indeed MR has various applications and possibilities. And it is workhorse and not highway "glider" so it is possible to have higher playability level in smaller MOC. :thumbup: 

Some "restyling" for F700 is in progress.

800x600.jpg 

Could you help me with some questions:

1. which one is better?
  2. do the 1x1 headlights fit normally, or should be some bigger ones (like 2x2 dishes)?

I'd try two 2x1 jumper plates with only a 1x1 headlight on the outermost, or on both (so two headlights on each side).

+-+-+
|.|o|
+-+-+

One more modification is coming:

800x600.jpg

A twin-steering truck which are highly popular in Canada and New Zealand (better weight distribution and handling on slippery roads).

The main idea is to have a Mack-compatible chassis, for all other trucks and axles -wheels combination, but now its presented only for Anthem, as a variation of the "Euro Panthech" twin-steering Kenworth (Australia).

v-avstralii-postroili-sverhekonomichnyy-

australia_aerodynamiczna_naczepa_4.jpg

https://40ton.net/245-metrowy-zestaw-z-pojedyncza-naczepa-eksperymentalny-sposob-na-niskie-spalanie/

I need to polish the linkages and then publish the filished model.

5 hours ago, Void_S said:

One more modification is coming:

It looks this is a very rare edition of the american truck, I have never seen this before. Neither I have never heard about 4 axle cargo (lowboy does not count)

:)

Twin steering is done!

640x480.jpg640x480.jpg

truck mod twin steer - Bricksafe

I must start with a moment that I preferred to save the original gas tanks (they must be capable to keep some fuel), so the chassis is 4-studs longer. It required to change some parts (mostly replace liftarms with longer ones in the chassis) but as a bonus it fitted the new 3x1x7 panels. They look amazing I believe!

Now the main change, the steered 2nd axle. It is a copy of the 1st one linked to the steering wheel (exactly steering wheel, not the 1st axle), so I got two main advantages from this decision:

1. Steering wheel controls both axles directly (like it is done in real twin-steer trucks, +10 to authenticity)
  2. The linkages go above (to the 1st axle) and below (to the 2nd axle) the drivetrain and do not make any troubles for RC-ing or other modifications. Yes, tri-drive mod can be easily attached here.

Here you can see how the steering works:

1. Dark-blue and blue parts are from original set (dark ones are static, lighter one - moves).
  2. Yellow linkage connects the steering shaft and the 2nd axle.
  3. Orange steering arm pivots the wheels.

640x480.jpg 640x480.jpg

It may look weird enough (and I does I believe) but these half-stud offsets set both axles in parallels when the truck moves straight and sets the 7:5 ratio, required to have 35 and 25 degrees steering lock on both axles.

800x600.jpg

The building instruction is available at Rebrickable (LEGO MOC 42078 Mack Anthem Twin Steering MOD by VoidSerpent | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO), together with free Studio file. As a bonus, the file includes some additional gifts:

• 3x1x7 Technic Panels (presented in 2021 models) - you can see that the side skirts are med of them
  • Mack Bulldog figure. It wasn't easy to make it but I'm pleasured with the result.
  • Printed 3x1 silver tiles (Mack grille sides).

Hope they may help you in your models!

P.S. Now it's time for the trailer...

Edited by Void_S
Images

Similar to a recent mod I did on the Porsche 911 GT3 RS, I have now reconstructed this set from my collection with a number of RC mods.

The trailer has two PF L-motors, my camera battery, and a receiver added to motorize the container-depositing arms, but the cab has received the same near-hobby electronics I have used many times in the past, making for one fast drifting truck! It could be driven in three main ways: Truck alone, which was all about drifting, Truck and Trailer, which was mostly about driving sensibly, with the added challenge of the trailer, and Truck and tireless Trailer, which was all about drifting and fishtailing the trailer around!

The truck had my servo tucked under the hood for steering, the battery and circuit board in the cab, and the drive motor built into the frame, driving the rearmost two wheels. It would have been nice to drive all four rear wheels, but that would have taken a much more extensive reconstruction than I wanted to do for this leisure model, and may have (gasp!) decreased its prodigious burnout capabilities! The middle two wheels were mounted on 2L beams, which connected to the wheel on the bottom stud, and to the frame on the top one. This setup prevented these wheels from taking any load, and thus reducing the traction of the drive or steering ones.

IMG_20210210_081452648.jpg

You can see more images at: https://bricksafe.com/pages/2GodBDGlory/modded-mack

and a video at: 

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

6 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

prodigious burnout capabilities!

Indeed, it is insanely fast !!

Integrating hobby RC with Lego gives interesting results :laugh:

19 hours ago, iLego said:

Indeed, it is insanely fast !!

Integrating hobby RC with Lego gives interesting results :laugh:

It's been a lot of fun for me! I got my whole setup for only about $50 CAD, and since I figured out how to prevent it from melting Lego parts (Immediate planetary reduction, "boxed" gearing at the axle, and some lubricant), I'm coming up with more and more fun ways to use it!

As a hobby programmer of microchips such as Arduino controllers, I used them to make my model truck moving.
The truck is moved by a PF XL motor, the steering is done by a servo, both controlled by a WeMos microcontroller.
The chip communicates over local WiFi with the self-made control panel.
An Arduino Nano supported by a L298D H-bridge is responsible for the trailer functions:
- outrigger moving, done by two Mini motors
- suspension moving, done by two servos
- switching the magnets to lift the Playmobil boxes
The Nano gets its commands via a serial link to the Wemos.
A push on a button starts e.g. up- or downloding of the box.
Here is a video: https://youtu.be/GgyzbxhsYYI

startbild1.jpg

Edited by RaveEib

These wheel are almost too narrow - not the typical technic wheels. I can't see: Did you put them on the front axle as well?

(It seems that my order has been shipped today)

3 hours ago, anyUser said:

These wheel are almost too narrow - not the typical technic wheels. I can't see: Did you put them on the front axle as well?

(It seems that my order has been shipped today)

We are too used to see the wide wheels and now the new ones look too thin. But I think the proportion diameter/width is correct for truck tires.

Looks nice, I have a bit different idea on embracing the mount points, however. Will bring it here today.

Have just replaced the front wheels or also moved the steering hubs more to outside? I'm working on different ideas and found that with these narrow wheels we may shorten the "kingpin offset" by putting it closer to the wheel center at 1 stud (so the hubs are mounted to 11L liftrams, not 9L ones).

BWT, from where you have get them? I still monitoring BL but they ever didn't appear...

Edited by Void_S

I may grow on them:

105_wrn_210826_175259k.png

3 hours ago, Void_S said:

Have just replaced the front wheels or also moved the steering hubs more to outside? I'm working on different ideas and found that with these narrow wheels we may shorten the "kingpin offset" by putting it closer to the wheel center at 1 stud (so the hubs are mounted to 11L liftrams, not 9L ones).

I think you are right: the front axle may be expanded from 9L to 11L width. This would allow for for 'feature' inbetween.
You don't need that 1/2 bush from the 20-mm-wheel hubs.

3 minutes ago, anyUser said:

I may grow on them:

105_wrn_210826_175259k.png

I think you are right: the front axle may be expanded from 9L to 11L width. This would allow for for 'feature' inbetween.
You don't need that 1/2 bush from the 20-mm-wheel hubs.

Ohh, you used the idea with 3L pins with a hole inside and T-shaped liftarms? I just preparing my variant and it uses exatly the same set. That means we are close the truth!