efferman

42078 Mack Anthem Mods and improvements

2 hours ago, Void_S said:

The reason I still have never posted the real photos - I have no appropriate place for taking good photos (space, light, camera, etc...) and some parts I have, they aren't proper colored, so I wouldn't publish these "parrots" with red/yellow/gray livery :laugh:

Agree, color vomit is not the best choice, but can be hidden inside (like LEGO does). I personally prefer old school building with my fingers, but I'm waiting to see how your F-700 looks build with real bricks, or should I write beams :grin:

On 12/6/2019 at 2:15 PM, Void_S said:

Now it's time to change something else: as you remember the Anthem belongs to "set-back" trucks configuration that have front axle moved backward (has a significant space between the wheels and front bumper surface, like in EU trucks), whereas the Granite model comes in "set-back" and "set-forward" (more popular configuration for US trucks, even cabovers).

The existing MODs and C-models by @grohl, @M_longer and @grego18f are perfectly shaped and have great functions but they all are still "set-back". So now it's time to move the the "set-forward" configuration:

640x360.jpg640x360.jpg640x360.jpg

Surprisingly, it's was an easier that I expected to move the front axle 3 studs forward, so I'm finishing some moments and will share the "Set-forward Granite" modification fully compatible with Anthem and related modifications, including the RC mods :wink:.

Hope I will have enough time to finish the full classification of existing MODs here and mark the compatible groups of these modifications.

Hi Void,

I really love you axle set forward configuration, Any further news on that? Would love to see how it's build in real life...

@Clever Nickname, so far not, unfortunately. I'm taking a pause for a few months due to family reasons.

Added 2019-02-21. OK, now it's some time to continue...

I haven't finished the Granite model yet but the Set-Forward platform is ready and have very a few differences to the original 42078 model, so all modifications, all RC motorizations are compatible.

800x450.jpg

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-36219/VoidSerpent/mack-pinnacle-set-forward/#comments
https://bricksafe.com/pages/Void_s/42078/truck_mod_pinnacle_sf

Since 2018 year the Mack Trucks company is producing the Mack Anthem model that replaced the set-back configuration of Mack Pinnacle model and now they both, Pinnacle set-forward and Anthem (set-back), shares the same platform, engines and other things that include even interior stuff.

So, let me introduce the Anthem's modification that turns it into it's more brutal brother Pinnacle.

Features

• Modified front frame ending where the front axle is placed 3-studs forward for a better weight distribution. Old-good American classic configuration! All other things like steering, mount point for other submodules are the same, so it's fully compatible with all Anthem modifications (custom cabins, custom frame length, etc. including my lovely tri-drive one).
  • Modified hood that was borrowed from grego18's Mack Granite Dump Truck, that I modified to better match the Pinnacle grill and fenders.
  • Custom "flat" bumper that represents the chromed plate which is the most common bumper option for set-forward trucks. Luckily to its shape there was no necessity to add any extra things like virtual pivot points or something similar. Just literally the same scheme from Anthem, so all RCing mods are fully applicable here.

And now few match-renders of the original axle placement (blue) and new one:

640x360.jpg640x360.jpg

As a teaser, the Granite is not far from the finish, together with compatible to all "Mack family" (existing and coming) Daily cabin.

640x360.jpg

Edited by Void_S
Now it's done!

On 3/21/2020 at 9:26 PM, LegoIstanbul1907 said:

Dear ,@efferman

First of all thank you very much for sharing this lovely moc. I would like to motorise the front with servo and large motor. I have downloaded many ldd files but i guess they are not preapaid by the right order of steps. (I know it's very time consuming and hard).  So i can't figure out how to motorise. I wrote you also another website. I am a big fan of you. Paypal is not alowed in Turkey so i can't purchase. Could you please give an advise ?

Best Regards

Kerim (Legoistanbul1907) 

Hi, which model exactly?

On 2/12/2020 at 2:11 PM, Void_S said:

@Clever Nickname, so far not, unfortunately. I'm taking a pause for a few months due to family reasons.

Added 2019-02-21. OK, now it's some time to continue...

I haven't finished the Granite model yet but the Set-Forward platform is ready and have very a few differences to the original 42078 model, so all modifications, all RC motorizations are compatible.

800x450.jpg

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-36219/VoidSerpent/mack-pinnacle-set-forward/#comments
https://bricksafe.com/pages/Void_s/42078/truck_mod_pinnacle_sf

Since 2018 year the Mack Trucks company is producing the Mack Anthem model that replaced the set-back configuration of Mack Pinnacle model and now they both, Pinnacle set-forward and Anthem (set-back), shares the same platform, engines and other things that include even interior stuff.

So, let me introduce the Anthem's modification that turns it into it's more brutal brother Pinnacle.

Features

• Modified front frame ending where the front axle is placed 3-studs forward for a better weight distribution. Old-good American classic configuration! All other things like steering, mount point for other submodules are the same, so it's fully compatible with all Anthem modifications (custom cabins, custom frame length, etc. including my lovely tri-drive one).
  • Modified hood that was borrowed from grego18's Mack Granite Dump Truck, that I modified to better match the Pinnacle grill and fenders.
  • Custom "flat" bumper that represents the chromed plate which is the most common bumper option for set-forward trucks. Luckily to its shape there was no necessity to add any extra things like virtual pivot points or something similar. Just literally the same scheme from Anthem, so all RCing mods are fully applicable here.

And now few match-renders of the original axle placement (blue) and new one:

640x360.jpg640x360.jpg

As a teaser, the Granite is not far from the finish, together with compatible to all "Mack family" (existing and coming) Daily cabin.

640x360.jpg

That is beautiful ! 

I am going to pick up the Mack today locally here in UAE. I actually have a brand new set in Canada still along with all my other unbuilt sets and built ones and my workshop !

I moved here for work and haven't been able to move all my belonging and I will be doing so in my next trip home.

Can you please guide me, I plan on buying the Efferman RC instructions and parts needed tp convert it but I also loved your tri-axle mod which I plan on doing to this one.

Can you help me or anyone possibly telling which wheels were used to get the Dual rear wheels.

I want to buy most of the parts today so I can start with the mods and building. I will eventually build a lowboy trailer.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:00 PM, Sammi said:

Can you help me or anyone possibly telling which wheels were used to get the Dual rear wheels.

The double wheels here are made using four additional wheels (usually taken from the trailer) but the problem is these wheels are too wide so you have to:

• made some ticks to make the frame narrower to fit the doubles normally
  • live with over-widened track when just added additional wheels

I just bought the extra parts needed to do the Pinnacle conversion and I also bought Efferman's RC conversion instructions from Rebrickable and ordered the parts from Bricklink for both, I will also be doing my own Tri-Axle conversion with lift axle.

2 hours ago, Sammi said:

I just bought the extra parts needed to do the Pinnacle conversion and I also bought Efferman's RC conversion instructions from Rebrickable and ordered the parts from Bricklink for both, I will also be doing my own Tri-Axle conversion with lift axle.

Perfect! I really like this set especially for the original modular structure so any further mods may just replace the original subassemblies. So, replacing the front part (frame + hood + bumper) and the rear (tri-axle group) you're getting another truck that has only the cabin shared with the Anthem model (but it can be replaced too, why not? The day cabs, a flattop sleeper).

23 minutes ago, LegoIstanbul1907 said:

There is only pay pal method and i don't have access to paypal due to Turkey's restrictions. how can i get this pdf ?

If you have Master card or similar try to register online; I had similar problem but (generally) banks allow that kind of transaction because credit cards should allow payment from card account and into card account...

1 hour ago, LegoIstanbul1907 said:

Dear Igor,

Thanks for the advise.

I have tried already Turkey doesn't allow to use paypal unfortunately. 

BR

Kerim

That is something new I must admit. Sorry my friend

Hey efferman, I am not allowed to send Messages.

I bought your RC instructions but the XLS file, when i double click on the photo to open the PDF instructions its not working.

Is there an e-mail I can contact you at. I purchased through Custombricks,de

On 4/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, Sammi said:

Hey efferman, I am not allowed to send Messages.

I bought your RC instructions but the XLS file, when i double click on the photo to open the PDF instructions its not working.

Is there an e-mail I can contact you at. I purchased through Custombricks,de

Contact info@custombricks.de

I have just created a new trailer design for the Mack Anthem. It is a low loader with a beavertail and long ramps so it is easy to load low vehicles. It features rear ramps and front support feet. I have created instructions for a manually operated trailer and also a Power Functions RC version. Both sets of instructions are available on rebrickable. The manual trailer can be built entirely from the parts in the original container trailer.

Here is the link to the instructions for the manual version: Manual Version PDF Instructions

Here is the link to the instructions for the Power Functions RC Version: Power Functions RC PDF Instructions

You can see a video of the RC version in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K9vIXuzZxI

20200405_110729v2.jpg

Edited by S Kettle
Added Picture

Today I build my first ever prototype MOD: an EV3-controlled Mack Anthem.

It needs some finishing to properly hide the EV3 brick and IR receiver but I can't hide my enthusiasm any longer :)

There is a small issue with the steering, where steering left works fine but when steering right the turn is far wider. Can't seem to figure out how to fix this, I made sure to firmly mount the motors and cogwheels which helped somewhat but not enough.

I've posted some pics in this Flickr album, more to follow (on mobile now).

Please let me know what you think, and what I could add or improve.

Edited by GrandiJoos
Typo

3 minutes ago, GrandiJoos said:

There is a small issue with the steering, where steering left works fine but when steering right the turn is far wider.

I'm pretty sure the lever mechanism in the base model is asymmetric that way.

7 hours ago, pleegwat said:

I'm pretty sure the lever mechanism in the base model is asymmetric that way.

Good to know, spend plenty of time trying to figure out if it blocked somewhere.

Just brought this set a few days ago and am thinking about mods. I’ve seen a lot of  mods to motorise it or build some MOC trailers, but I’ve not seen any mods to give it a proper sleeper cab or address some other issues 

18 hours ago, Wonderpants said:

Just brought this set a few days ago and am thinking about mods. I’ve seen a lot of  mods to motorise it or build some MOC trailers, but I’ve not seen any mods to give it a proper sleeper cab or address some other issues 

I suppose that's because the sleeper is quite "closed" and it's barely possible to see something inside it, behind the seats. another reason is the HOG steering shaft that moved the sleeping bed.
Once you motorize truck, you will get rid of the HOG shafts, getting more space for a proper sleeper, but also get a problem of a battery unit location, that commonly goes to the sleeper...

Finally, I'm ready to present the Granite GU713 model. It's the first Granite made of 42078 Anthem using Set-Forward scheme that allows it to beat the heavy-duty challenges still meeting the bridge formula (wheelbase/load capacity ratio).

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x510.jpg

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-47968/VoidSerpent/mack-granite-gu713-64ft/#comments

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Void_s/42078/mack-granite-sf

The main features are:

• Chassis-frame unified with Pinnacle (my previous SF model) and compatible with Anthem (SB trucks) modifications
  • Ladders+fuel tanks unified with Pinnacle
  • Anthem/Pinnacle/Granite unified cabin with interior
  • DayCab roof - compatible with Anthem and Pinnacle
  • Granite Hood, based on @grego18f's model but converted to SF axle placement and new grille shaping
  • Bull bar for possible construction or road service equpment

Edited by Void_S

One more modification is in progress. It was frozen as was highly related to Mack Granite, and now it's ongoing. My biggest modification (in size, as well):

800x600.jpg

• Made in light-bright orange color (42099). It's not so easy as if I used just yellow but I believe this color works better as "school bus yellow"
  • 4x2 chassis from Mack Anthem (with Set-forward modification), with a bigger wheelbase.
  • rear axle suspension. I didn't choose the geometry yet but want to have some "humpty-dumpty" effect when passing some obstacles, like railway crossings.
  • inline-6 engine from Anthem\Pinnacle\Granite
  • modified hood borrowed from Granite
  • driver's door from Anthem\Pinnacle\Granite
  • passengers' double-door. I wanted to make some complicated feature here, but found that school buses have dead-simple doors, are juts opens outwards, like your wardrobe...
    I will make some handle or lever to control it anyways.
  • rear emergency door with handle-lock
  • foldable "stop" side barriers + front barrier. I will try to make a single control lever for them.

Hope, I will finish it once...