efferman

42078 Mack Anthem Mods and improvements

Well the b model of this set has brought me back from my third "dark age".

I can't wait to get it, build the B model and mod it :)

Great to be back here :)

Since this is going on display with my other semi-truck models ( 5590, 5591 a and b models, 6753 which is currently in a model team modded style functional tow truck b-model, and 8872).  So, here are some mods I've been working on (full size pics on bricksafe):

800x600.jpg

No decals yet since though as I still want to build the B-model as well as possibly create a c-model.

-Single large tires in the rear
-Removed most all visible color vomit parts (blue pins and rellow/red axles detract from a model I plan on displaying)
-made the grill more "grill-like"
-added hood mirrors (not totally accurate)
-made a bit more proper engine coloring
-looking at the anthem brochure and comparing it to the model, the sleeper is the proper width IMO so i'm keeping it that way.  I just fiddled with the flex axles to line up better (they are placed inside the panel edge instead of outside)

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Next is the trailer;

removed some color vomit

strengthened the tongue

dual wheels (8 total) with pendular suspension

I have some more mods planned for the trailer but I figured I would post the pics now of what I've done :)

800x600.jpg

You will get a full part list and a extra part list. 

Btw, only the container has more length. The trailer has roundabout the same length as the set

20 minutes ago, efferman said:

You will get a full part list and a extra part list. 

Btw, only the container has more length. The trailer has roundabout the same length as the set

Thank you. Well due to the container looking longer it makes the trailer look better so I'm still going to look to make this.

I'll just purchase the pdf files, as I'm not good at following ldd files.

Thanks.. much appreciated

I'd like to present my two small modifications for the B model.

1. Knob for ejector blade.

673.jpg

If it is attached as the instruction goes, it is too close to the gas tank. Turning it will rub the thumb against the gas tank, which is something I don't like.

534.jpg

Ideally, it just needs to stay another 1/2L from the liftarm for the thumb to operate freely. However, as you can see, it's already near the end of the axle and is braced by a half bush. This axle is a 5L with stop. Moving the half bush inside and moving the knob gear out by 1/2L will make the gear unbraced and tend to fall off.

My solution: I used the spare 8L axle with stop and push the knob gear from outside in, like this.

20180309_014648

The knob gear is now further from the gas tank and is still properly braced.

2. The trash bin

If the bin is built like the original design, when the bin is raised and tipped over, the trash inside can fall off the bin before the bin reaches the top opening of the trash tank. If you use the rims as instructed you wont have any problem, but if you want to play with other kinds of trash, like pins or axles or small connectors, you're gonna have a bad time.

Screenshot 2018-03-09 02.07.42

Shot taken from the review by kbalage (racing brick). You can see blue pins fall off everywhere.

My solution: I use the remaining 5x11 DBG panel and the panels #17 and #18 to increase the height of the bin, like this:

20180309_014455

I tested with axles and pins as trash, and this design seem to work very well.

20180309_021041

20180309_021208

The pins do fall off, but only a few, and they fall directly into the trash tank. So I think this modification is good. The fact that the concave side of the 5x11 panel faces inward also helps. The ridges stop the outflow of the trash pieces.

Hope this help !!

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

On 3/4/2018 at 10:08 PM, Brickgate said:

Ok thanks for your information! So i will try to make one on rebrickable

Hi Brickgate. Will you please share the extra parts list for efferman's moc if you were able to obtain it through rebrickable? I tried it myself but wasn't able to upload the lxf files as a private moc and thus couldn't have compared it with the original set. Thanks in advance. 

PS: If someone told me how to upload an lxf file as a private moc on rebrickable that would help a lot too. Thanks.

@Mystiquehero

you're right, there's a problem with a few parts in the lxf when uploading in rebrickable. usually the upload of a lxf is not a problem.
I have import the lxf in the studio.io,  but there are also import errors. I'm currently trying to correct it (is a bit tedious).

@efferman

In the parts list that can create in the ldd, some part numbers in the list does not exist. Can you explain that?

Edited by Brickgate

17 hours ago, Brickgate said:

@efferman

In the parts list that can create in the ldd, some part numbers in the list does not exist. Can you explain that?

That is the fault of bricklink. the same numbers, entered manually in the search field, are working.

I made a partlist .xlsx form the Lego LDD. Why i can't copy this sheet to another xlsx sheet. The following error message appears : " not possible with multiple selection "

Recently I purchased and built LEGO Technic set 42078 B model (Mack LR garbage truck). After finishing the build I had a couple of ideas for mods to improve it.

These are:
- Removing the lever on the front forks. I don't think this is really needed.
- Adding some extra panels to the bin to make it load and unload easier.
- Remove the top LA and other parts used to open and close the rear hatch, this now opens and closes based on the internal compactor.
- Add a rear catch to work with the above.
- Change the gearing to allow the compactor to work easier. This includes a better leaver to turn it.

I also tried making the rear body tip, while I was able to make this work it was not very reliable and would struggle with any load in the rear body so I pulled this up and put it back to standard.

Below are some photos and a video of all of these.

LegoTechnic42078_BModel_Mods+%25281%2529

LegoTechnic42078_BModel_Mods+%25282%2529

LegoTechnic42078_BModel_Mods+%25285%2529

LegoTechnic42078_BModel_Mods+%25286%2529

LegoTechnic42078_BModel_Mods+%25287%2529

LegoTechnic42078_BModel_Mods+%25288%2529

LegoTechnic42078_BModel_Mods+%25289%2529

LegoTechnic42078_BModel_Mods+%252810%252

Video: https://paulstechnic.blogspot.com.au/2018/03/lego-technic-42078-b-model-mods.html

Good evening!

Based on efferman's RC trailer i tried to extend the length to fit a 40' trailer:

IMG_2091.jpg

Well, it didn't work out well. The weight of the trailer causes several issues:

1. the crane arms tend to bend towards the container. 

2. The geometry of the cranes and the LAs ist not sufficient for the extra weight. When fully extended (or retracted) the LAs can barely move the weight and the safety clutches kick in.

3. The bevel gears driving the LAs tend to slip a lot.

Issues 2&3 lead toward an unsynchronous movement of the cranes. Thus the container is unbalanced, one side lower than the other.

@Mathiss welcome to Eurobricks. Build is very nice. Day cab looks better than "pumped" sleeper

Seeing this set rekindled my interest in Technic. I always loved Mack trucks as a kid (they were all Macks to me for a while no matter who manufactured them) and of course Lego was my favorite toy. To have them come together in this set is great.

I was quite disappointed by the lack of tires in this set, particularly when Lego likes to say they produce more tires each year than any other company..Is no one at Lego familiar with the term 18-wheeler? I replaced those wide tires using these wheels from the Model Team Whirl and Wheel Super Truck. Unfortunately they are slightly smaller (by 0.4mm according to bricklink) than the original wheels causing the back mud flaps to drag. It also looks to have too much of a gap between rear axles with these.

I did not want to use stickers on the sleeper compartment panels yet as I may rebuild the sides with regular Lego bricks to have an actual window. For this reason I built the doors entirely out of dark bluish grey pieces to completely remove the black stripe on the side, but kept the top of the hood and cab black. I filled the small window hole in the passenger door with a clear 1x1 brick and 2 plates. Glass-less windows is one aesthetic of Technic I dislike. It's passable due to the large size and varying shapes used in models, but in this case it just looked like a hole as opposed to a window frame.

The trailer is also severely lacking for a truck of this size but I understand the Mack was the focus of the set, I want to build a larger trailer or two. I'd very much like a standard box trailer but that would take a lot of panels. Can't afford to get enough Technic panels for that at this time, but may have enough dark blueish grey 1x6x5 bricks in a random box of parts I got from TRU. Foremost, I'm planning to build a low-boy trailer with a detachable gooseneck or flip-toe ramps, possibly triple axle. Hopefully I have enough yellow Technic bricks from #8855 Prop Plane for this.

What other licensed Technic sets are the right scale to act as cargo? The Claas Xerion is quite large, but that might be accurate considering the size of the real thing, though I've only found one good photo of it on a truck trailer for comparison. I also thought the Volvo EW160E might be in scale, but may not necessitate a trailer that large on it's own. Unlicensed suggestions (maybe the upcoming Rough Terrain Crane?) are also welcome.

I hope that this is the right topic for following question: did anyone saw other versions of Mack Anthem than semitrailer truck, or Granite and LR are made to be workhorses?

Edited by I_Igor

On 4/5/2018 at 4:25 PM, Mathiss said:

Rate this build :wink::wink: 5ac693bda200d_mack2.jpg.090b3b5afae1f232e0763734a64092e6.jpg

I give it 10/10 from what I can see. I would like more pics if you have any available. This is exactly the way I want to build mine. Only difference would be I want to build a tri-axle heavy haul version. I don't think the 1:1 anthem is available in this configuration. That's what's great about Lego you can build it however you want. I'm not a big fan of the sleeper version or the trailer. I want to build a low boy or some type of flat deck trailer with a bunch of axles. I would also like to convert it to more a accurate dual wheel set up. So far it appears not to be a simple change.

Seems like many people are unhappy with the lack of dualies on this truck. I have noticed, in real life though it is more and more common place to see new trucks with the single Super Tires, around here anyway, Indianapolis. So I guess the lack of dualies is alright, to me anyway.

Having just finished building this set, less than a week, I already have the urge to rebuild it into something else. Which is really strange for me, usually keep sets together for a couple months, anyway. So I am enjoying seeing everyones mods. 

On 4/15/2018 at 11:29 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Seems like many people are unhappy with the lack of dualies on this truck. I have noticed, in real life though it is more and more common place to see new trucks with the single Super Tires, around here anyway, Indianapolis. So I guess the lack of dualies is alright, to me anyway.

You are correct super singles are becoming more common. I live in Missouri and see them all the time. I guess my issue is the difficulty required in converting it to a dual wheel config. I shouldn't complain since there's is only so much you can do at this scale with available parts from Lego.