efferman

42078 Mack Anthem Mods and improvements

This morning i have widened the sleeper to vehicle width, and is surprising how much difference 40 parts can give.

25389636868_be5ac4975f_c.jpg

lxf

Looks amazing! Do you reckon a mod to shorten the length of the nose would be possible? The official model’s nose is too long and makes it look goofy from side on

Edited by Bartybum

But it also looks goofy because the nose is a stud too long. In the actual vehicle there’s about one wheel’s diameter length of front bumper, whereas in the set there’s more.

According to the official Mack Anthem brochure, LEGO made the cab the right width. The Anthem cab appears to be much narrower than the fenders. I think the biggest difference we’re seeing is the lack of a rounded sloping hood. 

17 minutes ago, efferman said:

my widebody mod on the left

The left fits better, but for the lights above the windshield, I believe the 2nd from the left and the 2nd from the right should be only 1 stud, not 2.

It’s hard to tell. Especially since the real truck’s windshield curves toward the sides. It looks like the real cab narrows slightly towards the top too. Has anyone found the dimensions of the actual truck cab to compare? @efferman your model does look like it matches better based on the first picture here: https://www.equipmentworld.com/mack-unveils-anthem-a-brand-new-on-highway-tractor/

I’m planning to replace several of the grey parts of the engine with red pieces to make it look more like the real Mack MP8. I don’t know why LEGO made the engine with so many grey and black pieces. It looks like the real MP8 is predominately red. 

Edited by supertechnicman

Yesterday i have made a new outrigger which is able to work above the kingpin. When it is tested under load i will make a lxf.

38622210364_7bd53fae92_c.jpg

38622211424_5a197ef68c_c.jpg

38622211674_23a0408d4f_c.jpg

38622211944_1724469d5d_c.jpg

The black pieces on the boom are avoiding stress on the big actuator when it is fully extended. In the set it bends itself in this situation and needs more torque to move.
38622211224_5860b0ac56_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

10 minutes ago, efferman said:

@Yevhen17, not sure if this fit into this topic

Agree

Back to your mod, so how does the cab get its power? I couldn't see where the battery box sits? Take it not possible to build the cab and then add the motors after?

The battery box is placed under the roofspoiler and there is a need to disamble big parts of the cab.

Small question: two or three axles?

25464257318_7d2dc7a5a5_c.jpg

edit:

39304691092_35d9078dbb_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

Looks much better with the outrigger/crane set up over the kingpin. Doing that also allows for a longs container. 

As always, nice work efferman! 

Looks fantastic - just needs a third wheel axel on the trailer to make it look just like a real European container trailer.  I think the container box made longer looks much, much better IMO

Edited by iv-tecman

Yes, the standard container looks a bit like a cube.

The lxf of the 20 foot container trailer is mostly done

38472841425_2fd294feab_c.jpg

Double rear wheels are quite beautiful. Unfortunately, there is not enough space for a rigid structure :/

39351087521_008fc17d8c_c.jpg

I also developed an RC version of the truck with Servo and L motor, keeping the bed.

27857546729_08ee1b18f8_c.jpg

And to mitigate the lack of fun of manually activated linear actuators, an automatized trailer with a gearbox powered from the truck battery box by an extension wire, an M motor and a control switch.

39605675462_41766344cf_c.jpg

LXF HERE

Edited by evortigosa

@efferman is it possible to automate the entire movement of the cranes with only one motor? I mean, automate the container unload only turning on a motor, by the correct control of gear ratios?

Edited by evortigosa

@evortigosa

No, from transport position to the moment of lifting the container there is only movement for the upper actuator. if you only have one Motor maybe a gearbox solution would work like in this video