Container Crane

Hi all,

today I want to show some models I created for the exhibition „Fantasie und Technik“ in Abtsgemünd, Germany on 2./3. december 2017.

All models were operated with only an EV3 Set(+1 small motor in one modelll), the motors and sensors have been plugged in just a few minutes from model to model, here the visitors could help.

It was important to me that the mindstorms components are not hidden, visible and out,. to reveal their function. The models should show that it is also worth about the travelling robots to automate homemade models.   There are almost no transmissions, which would unnecessarily complicate the whole thing, most everything is powered directly from the motor shaft.  

Most of the models could be operated with different programs. All were operated almost exclusively by the visitors.

And here ist he container crane:

I only used the mindstorms parts of sets 31313 (EV3 brick, 3 motors, 2 sensors).

P-004.jpg

The container terminal provides two container spaces, a railway connection and a truck

P-009.jpg

Here the part that controls the on/off of the claw. The four threads of the claw are summarized in a small sled and only one rope pulled by the motor. When the claw is up (black slide left) the touch sensor stops the motor. To sink  the motor moves defined turns.

P-007.jpg

The second unit is the trolley drive for right / left. Through the colored tiles on the chain the IR-sensor recognizes the  position of the trolley  (1st place, 2nd place, railway, truck) , the yellow tile is visible just below left

P-001.jpg

The last element of the movement is the adjustment of the claw. To open the claw must be lifted  with the outer threads, to close it with the inner wheels. This is done by simply extend of the lengtht oft he threads

P-006.jpg

The trolley of the crane

P-003.jpg3

The four ropes are on the left attached and can be adjusted by turning the blue pins, like guitar strings

P-008.jpg

The claw with the four threads, if the two outer/upper  carry the load  the claw is open, if the two inner/lower carry the load it is closed

P-005.jpg

There are two programs: one for the automatic operation, and one for the manual mode pressing the keys of the EV3-brick.
Usually the visitors used second mode and played, especially the kids...

P-002.jpg

Here is a short deo showing the funtions (1:31)

and the automatic mode (2:44)

Hope you like it.

cu

Werner

Edited by Lok24

Hi Lok24,

this is really a great thing - and brings mindstorms on my wish list :laugh:

It sure will be a highlight on the exhibition. And I like your claw mechanism (the one of my luffing crane works in an almost similar way).

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

Hi Leonard,

You need mindstorms - believe me....

No gears, testing very easy, automatic mode,  no malfunctions cause motor is running to far etc... (except program errors :blush:)

Yes, there were lots of kids playing(!) with my models, I had six of them with me, have a look ( before openig exhibition) 

P-010.jpg

Additionnally I showed some small and very simple programs.

Now this is the best of the three in my opinion. The mechanisms alone are worthy of praise. But, combined with the Mindstorms control, this is a beautiful build. Thanks for sharing. 

I’d really like to see if this could be combined with the “gravel” loader to prepare a train with a mixed cargo. 

Hi, thanks for your post.

40 minutes ago, Boulderer said:

I'd really like to see if this could be combined with the “gravel” loader to prepare a train with a mixed cargo. 

Sure, if someone supports me with a second EV3-Set :laugh:

To be honest it was also my intention to show the parents, that you can build several things without destroying it all for the next project.

Therefore I also showed a standard-Tripod, but the motors just clipped in (and not beeing the essential part of the structure)

Edited by Lok24

If you only get one youngster and parents to take a sustained interest in technology, then I think you’ve been successful. 

Hi,

yes, when the childred were playing I had lots of discussions, especially why it shold be useful for kids to learn some programming.

To me the most important point is that it is a good method to learn to strip down a complex task into single steps, this a useful strategy  for many things.