Fenestra

Don't Understand Brick Bank Hate

So I just finished up my Brickbank that I got for Christmas and I really enjoyed it! I like the look as well as the story with the money laundering. My only real complaint (that I have with every modular)  is that I hate that so much goes for the inside when I know I will rarely see the inside of the building .

Anyway why all the hate. I normally see that most people say this is one of their least favorites. Just curious as to why? 

I do like the Brick Bank. The inside is pretty simple but the exterior looks very good. I wonder why so many people dislike it. I like the Parisian Restaurant the most, but the Brick Bank is right next to it.

I want to see some of the answers to your question.

There were answers to that in the thread where people discuss the rumours of future modulars, around the time a leaked picture of the new one of 2018 was seen.

One of the thing that people complain was that the two buildings stuck together: they did not like the laundromat part, in the same way they did not like the various small building parts composing the detective office.

Other people however like such feature. I'm in this second case, I really like the brick bank set.

Edited by antp

I own BB. It's a set that I didn't understand the hate for at the beginning, but as moths passed by, started getting why. It's just a little simpler than previous modulars. To me, it's worse than PR, DO and AS, but waaaay superior than PR, PS and the new DD.

Mine, right next to DO looks just :wub:. Very nice set, but that looks better when next to another.

First images of Brick Bank that was shown back in late 2015 was the main impulse to collect modulars for me, and since that time I collect allready 8 of them. It was the BB which convinced me, and I never regret to pass away my LOTR collection. And regarding Downtown dinner, I have to see it on my own eyes and get my hands on it, but so far I really like it, and I consider it as the great beginning of next modular line. 

Howk :)

I think the criticism the set receives is because it seems pretty small in comparison with the other modulars, as well as having a very simple, monotone colour scheme. Perhaps also a bank isn't as appealing or exciting to people as other things.

I think the set is nice for what it is, but I do agree with people that it's visually one of the weaker modulars of recent years.

9 hours ago, antp said:

One of the thing that people complain was that the two buildings stuck together: 

That's one big flaw. That's why in mine, I removed the laundromat from the main building and with the pieces from the second floor (I think is the exterior of the manager's office) I built a coffee shop. I kept the exterior of the bank itself, since I really like it. 

9 hours ago, paupadros said:

Mine, right next to DO looks just :wub:. Very nice set, but that looks better when next to another.

That's interesting. I have always seen the Detective's Office as a little cartoonish. While the Brick Back, to me, is a "serious" building.

I like BB. This is decent modular. Not good as PR or AS if we talk about newer modular, but it's much better then DO or DD ( big disappointment ) for me.

I also like it, I finished building it a couple of weeks ago. It’s nice, and its details are comparable to the other modulars, but it’s definitely my least favourite.

I don't see what the problem with it was. It looked nice and I like the pun in money laundering with the laundry place nearby. It's not a bad set by any stretch. 

I don't think it's a bad modular, certainly not as confused as the Palace Cinema, but it has some issues in my eyes.

First and foremost, modular buildings are a great source of parts for general moccing as you get a whole heap of good, generic parts. The fact that the BB is mostly (common and cheap) white really dampened some of the anticipation. 

The BB is smaller than most other modular buildings released so far. It only has two levels as well (excluding the roof). Since it is supposed to be an imposing building of much wealth, this goes against the rhetoric.

Short of the ingots for stones (that stop at the bottom of the arches?!?) there's very little in terms of new building techniques. Plenty of NPU, but externally it's basically all studs up.

As a corner building, it suffers from a lack of consistency as it goes around the corner. The clock hides some of the issue, but the grille bricks that make up the square columns only work on one side of the building, leaving an ugly, visible seam on the other. The door rail at the top also stops short at the front.

ump2CCs.jpg

Is it a bad modular? No. It's not, but I wish they'd pull the roleplay elements from the builds and redirect that part count to visible size and complexity of the building itself.

I have PS, PC, PR, DO, BB, and AS. To be honest BB is my second favourite modular building after PR and the one which convinced me to start collecting this serie. I really don't like DO and DD with it's cartoonish look. PR and BB are two serios buildings that look great next to each other. I prefer the new era of modulars with more detailed inside and these two perfectly match my taste (I never really liked the first modulars). To me BB is like a small, discrete but very exclusive bank similar to those I saw in Switzerland.

On 24/12/2017 at 9:50 PM, pinioncorp said:

but the grille bricks that make up the square columns only work on one side of the building, leaving an ugly, visible seam on the other.

On mine I've put the horizontal lines on the outside to avoid that problem.

I don't remember if I did it on purpose for that reason or if I was simply not very careful when following the instructions :wacko:

Edited by antp

I like BB but felt that it was too squat so I added a row of windows to the top floor as an easy mod. I did not increase the laundromat to match. Looks great next to DO.

Brickbank height extension.

Edited by gotoAndLego

2 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

I like BB but felt that it was too squat so I added a row of windows to the top floor as an easy mod. I did not increase the laundromat to match. Looks great next to DO.

Did you make adjustments to the interior stairs to still connect to the roof door too?

6 hours ago, SFmuscle73 said:

Did you make adjustments to the interior stairs to still connect to the roof door too?

Nope. I didn’t change the roof or door. Besides the windows and textured column bricks, most people should have the bricks required for this mod in their collection. What’s funny is that I bought the extra windows before I even got the set because I knew I’d want to make it that much taller.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I like the exterior of the bank, but I don't like the laundromat. But it is fairly simple to extend the bank and remove the laundromat to make the bank the entire corner.

In my photos you can also see that I increased the height of the DO’s Blue third floor by one brick. I didn’t like that it looked shorter than the blue second floor.

Because people are individuals and have different tastes. What one might find pleasing about somethig specific, another might find it boring. Someone might find the lack of something a con, while another person might find the lack of the same thing a pro.

Not everyone has to have the same tastes or justify them. 

On 09/01/2018 at 12:54 AM, Fuppylodders said:

Because people are individuals and have different tastes. What one might find pleasing about somethig specific, another might find it boring. Someone might find the lack of something a con, while another person might find the lack of the same thing a pro.

Not everyone has to have the same tastes or justify them. 

Very true. I don’t really like the look of most of the builds. It’s not the style of architecture that I like.