Didumos69

[TC13] Pentagon Clock - Wind-up Pendulum Clock

Just now, Didumos69 said:

hanks! Here's the whole concept:

(image)

I was personally hoping for something more detailed as exterior, perhaps even brickbuild.

51 minutes ago, Jurss said:

This looks really good.

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Appie said:

I was personally hoping for something more detailed as exterior, perhaps even brickbuild.

Sorry, but that's not my cup of tea. I prefer the minimalist-capture-the-essential-lines-and-mechanisms approach. The clock is also not true to real time, it has it's own time system.

I understand, but this is very bland, even for a framework imo. Pimp it up a little I'd say even if only to show more lines than just this, there's still 3 weeks till the deadline.

Edited by Appie

9 minutes ago, Appie said:

I understand, but this is very bland, even for a framework imo. Pimp it up a little I'd say even if only to show more lines than just this, there's still 3 weeks till the deadline.

Okay, thanks for your opinion You are right of course, just like with cars I really have to push myself to finish it off with appealing bodywork. I'll see what I can do.

Some people liked the clock house concept and some didn't. I have given this some extra thought, but let me first re-include the concept image from the previous page so everybody knows what we're talking about.

540x960.jpg

I decided to hold on to this concept. It may give the impression that I'm finishing this clock too easily, but I have some good reasons for this concept:

- I wanted something quite open, so you can look inside.

- I needed something which encloses the ugly wheel holding the hands.

- I needed something with big holes for the pendulum and the hands assembly to stick through.

- I wanted something simple which doesn't take the attention away from the essential elements: the hands and the pendulum.

- I wanted something that breathes uniformnes. I think the similarly shaped house and pendulum weight add to uniformnes. I personally like these kind of simplistic designs.

I know this might disappoint some of you, but this is a matter of taste and I can't please everybody. I think you'll be surprised when you see the final result hanging on a wall.

Edited by Didumos69

I understand you want it open, but it can also be dressed up while keeping it open, so one doesn't have to rule out the other. Like with flex axles to give it more shape.

But it's your choice to keep it like this. The only person a MOC has to please is the one making it after all :) 

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

- I wanted something that breathes uniformnes. I think the similarly shaped house and pendulum weight add to uniformnes. I personally like these kind of simplistic designs.

I like this idea :thumbup:, looks like modern art.

Good luck for the contest. I think you have good chances to make it to the podium.

1 hour ago, Appie said:

But it's your choice to keep it like this. The only person a MOC has to please is the one making it after all :) 

True, although I am sensitive to what others think of it. We'll see how this turns out.

1 hour ago, Leonard Goldstein said:

I like this idea :thumbup:, looks like modern art.

Thanks, that was my idea too.

54 minutes ago, Catalinanmb said:

Why is the longest hand not moving the fastest, like in any conventional clock?

Well, the minute hand is longer than the hour hand and for the second hand both longer and shorter hands are common.

Edited by Didumos69

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

Is the 6l half liftarm a real piece? I haven't ever seen it.

Yes. Half liftarms come in 2-5L with the end holes being axle holes, and in 5-7L with only pin holes. 6L are quite common, e.g. there are 9 yellow ones in 42053.

3 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Is the 6l half liftarm a real piece? I haven't ever seen it.

3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Yes. Half liftarms come in 2-5L with the end holes being axle holes, and in 5-7L with only pin holes. 6L are quite common, e.g. there are 9 yellow ones in 42053.

The ones I'm using are actually 5L.

9 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Oop, I meant 6l liftarm in blue.

13 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Oop, I meant 6l liftarm in blue.

Aha. It's not a 6L liftarm, but a 9L bent liftarm (or actually 48 of them :wink:):

d9563d48167a02f030c7e236bdeed47a.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

On 1/8/2018 at 8:27 AM, Didumos69 said:

Aha. It's not a 6L liftarm, but a 9L bent liftarm (or actually 48 of them :wink:):

Just noticed.

I thought I was decided, but the ridiculous amount of clock house parts and @Appie's comments made me doubt.

So I started designing a clock face instead. The (LEGO) time system of this clock is 4 LEGO hours in a LEGO day (2 in a clock cycle), 5 LEGO minutes in a LEGO hour and 30 LEGO seconds in a LEGO minute. I wanted to do something with the 5 minutes in an hour, so I took the challenge to make a regular pentagon with 5 black minute indicators. Every time the second hand makes a cycle, the minute hand moves to the next black indicator. Halfway every two indicators their are small indicators that indicate half minutes and half hours.

The face consist of two pentagons. The distance between the pentagons is practically 6 studs. Please let me know what you think.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg450x800.jpg

Awesome!

When I made that comment I only thought of dressing it up a little. Like a wireframe of a "roof" (zoals een koekoeksklok, sorry dutch, no idea in English). But you stepped it up a notch and not only dressed it up, but also made it a functional clock face plate to fit the time of this clock. :thumbup:

Pentagrams is always good) I think that covering front of clock and pendulum with something catchy, while leaving backside almost naked may be a good choice. And then i see last option)

I like it. I wonder if you could have the slots of the 2L connector on the inner pentagon facing out to line up with the outside pentagon markers (presumably these mark every 3 seconds and half a minute).

A slight pity that the number of hours doesn't divide nicely the number of minutes (like 60/12) - 6 minutes to the hour would work nicer from the markings point of view, but be a lot more boring with a hexagon instead of pentagon :)

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Looks great! Now that the website is working again (was there a problem or something?) I can see your amazing progress! I like the angular look. 

You had same problem? I had a dead zone for 3 hours.

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

You had same problem? I had a dead zone for 3 hours.

Seems like everyone did. After it started working, last post was four hours ago.

(sorry for off topic)