Hi everybody,

my last few mocs were quite small - but not this one ...

It is a Luffing Crane with a container claw - a perfect fit to 42078 :sweet:

Powerfunctions:
1. Moving forward/backward on the rails
2. Rotating the superstructure
3. Moving the boom up/down (level of the payload does not change)
4. Moving the claw up/down
5. Rotating the claw
6. Open/close the claw

All functions are powered by one XL-motor. Function and direction is preselected by six clutches and there is one main clutch that activates the selected function. The main clutch works much smoother (it is a friction clutch) than the Lego dog clutch 18947 and allows precise steering.

800x600.jpg

This is the key function of the model: the container claw. Three ropes, three functions: up/down, rotating, open/close800x600.jpg

The rigging is quite challenging :wacko:

800x600.jpg

Here is the engine house with 6 sticks to operate the clutches. The red read lever on the right activates the friction clutch. The shovels work as counter weights (with some old batteries inside).

800x600.jpg

The trailer can carry two 42078 containers and has suspension with torsion bars. The container in the background looks a little bit funny as it is made of tracks ...

800x600.jpg

And now guess what this is:

800x600.jpg

... these are the leftovers from 42055. Yes, yes, yes: this is a C-model :sweet:

It is using about 3000 bricks. Can you imagine to run out of black connector pins with a 42055 on the table?

If you are wondering how these claw functions work, have a look at this topic:

Many thanks to @kolbjha; I adapted your idea using a closed loop to open/close the claw. My crane uses the closed loop to rotate the claw and an additional rope is used for open/close.

Well, that's it for today. 

I know you want to see a video ... please be patient. I will be away from my Lego for a while and of course I want to pick up the 42078 before I start the shooting. At least you can see the pics in higher resolution on my Bricksafe page: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Leonard_Goldstein/luffing_crane

Bye

Leonard_Goldstein

Very nice build, will be waiting to see the video!   A look inside that gearbox would be nice also.  I especially like using the buckets for counterweight holders, gives an authentic fell to the build.

Hi JGW3000,

thanks a lot :wink: 

I think the video will be done in the second week of 2018. 

The sidewalls of the engine house can be opened - then you see hundreds, nay thousands of gear wheels ... I promise to give a look at them in the video. 

I also work on an LDD-File, but this is quite tricky. There are a lot of tolerance problems, especially in the gearbox.

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

Good work :thumbup: how 6 levers, but only 4 gearbox?

You noticed it :thumbup:

Of course you're right: there are only 4 clutches included in the 42055. The remaining two functions are realized "old school": an axle with gears is moved to mesh the gears alternately.

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

Just now, Leonard Goldstein said:

Of course you're right: there are only 4 clutches included in the 42055. The remaining two functions are realized "old school": an axle with gears is moved to mesh the gears.

Interesting... Like 40th anniversary vehicle?

So well done! I love it! Now I'm getting ideas for my own 42055 c models :devil:

Not creating hype, just sharing brainwaves. And am also very excited.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic
To clarify.

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

Interesting... Like 40th anniversary vehicle?

Yes, exactly. Of course it would be easier to use some more clutches, but the ambition with this project was to make it a C-model. And there where some other problems: the 42055 uses only one worm gear. And this is needed for the winch (self-locking effect). All other functions had to use "normal" gears (lots of them ...)

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

Just now, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

So well done! I love it! Now I'm getting ideas for my own 42055 c models :devil:

Thanks! 

Yes, 42055 is a fantastic set for c models. And in relation to the number of bricks it is quite cheap. I got mine for 175 Euro - less then 5 Cent per piece! 

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

Many thanks to @Jim for front-paging my crane :sweet:

As I wrote above I am away from my LEGO right now and it will take a while to bring more information and the video to this topic.

Anyway [TC13] is catching a lot of attention right now (what a beautiful contest and some very interesting topics have been started :thumbup:).

So I will work on the LDD-file of my crane during holidays (and the video when I am back home)  and I'll be back here when [TC13] is finished.

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

1 hour ago, LegoFan117 said:

This is incredibly cool. I really like it Leonard - wonderful job.

Hi LegoFan117,

many thanks for the kudos :sweet:

In the mean time a solved some problems with the LDD-file, so it is taking shape (but will need a lot more time to get finished ...)

I promise to publish the LDD sometime in January. If anybody would like to copy this MOC, you can start disassembling your BWE :wink:

Bye

Leonard Goldstein 

Great idea! I’m very much looking forward to building this! I had bought the 8053 just to build the harbour crane.

4 hours ago, Nebulaire said:

Very nice c-model.  I can't wait to build it.  My 42055 is already disassemble.

Hi Nebulaire,

good to know - this is a motivation :sweet:

The LDD-file is growing. I will have to do some final checks when I am back home. First part of the LDD is set to be published in the second week of 2018.

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

24 minutes ago, Good Old Dude said:

You can post this on Lego Ideas!It will gain an awful lot of support!:classic:

To what end?  With the aim of TLG re-releasing the set with C-model instructions? :wacko:

Just now, Boulderer said:

With the aim of TLG re-releasing the set with C-model instructions? :wacko:

Technic MOCs don't do well on lego ideas at all. Trust me, I've tried. Never mind, sorry.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic
dumb comment

2 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Technic MOCs don't do well on lego ideas at all. Trust me, I've tried.

That’s beside the point.  A C-model is never going to get accepted by TLG. How could it be?

Just now, Boulderer said:

A C-model is never going to get accepted by TLG. How could it be?

Makes sense. My comment was somewhat irrelevant but my point was that Technic builds aren't generally well accepted like system builds are on LEGO Ideas.

Many thanks for all the comments - but I agree to @Boulderer: it doesn't make sense to send a C-model to ideas. 

And additionally I don't want to make money with Lego. This is a hobby. It is great fun as long as you don't take it to serious. Anyhow taxes in Germany are that stupid high - it is better to stop working once your income fits your needs (and better use your time to play Lego :laugh:).

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

Hi everybody,

it took some time to complete the LDD-file and the video (thanks for your patience), but now it is done. Enjoy!

And the link to the LDD-file: https://bricksafe.com/files/Leonard_Goldstein/luffing_crane/Luffing-Crane_42055-C-Model_by_Leonard_Goldstein.lxf

Edit 14. Nov. 2018: Please note the latest changes ( https://bricksafe.com/files/Leonard_Goldstein/luffing_crane/Luffing-Crane_42055-C-Model_by_Leonard_Goldstein.lxf ) and also have a look at the explanation of the rigging on the following pages.

There are a lot of groups to handle the assembly structure. I hope this makes replication easier. Unfortunately I will not be able to create brick by brick instructions in the near future. If anybody likes to do this job, feel free to publish it here :wink:

And if there are any mistakes in the LDD-file, please let me know.

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

Edited by Leonard Goldstein