Sebeus I

Ideas Tall Ship

27360590219_ea39959b2f_c.jpg

My latest ship was created with the specific intention of making a LEGO Ideas project out of it. You might notice some major differences with my other ships (if you're familiar with those). Most notable is the lack of custom rigging on this ship. It's 100% LEGO parts, which is a requirement for an Ideas project.

It takes 10000 supporter for a project to be considered to become an actual set and make it to the stores. I hope I can count on your support, it takes only little effort to support my model and it doesn't cost you a thing :wink:.

Also keep in mind that over time changes will be made to improve the model, I highly value the opinions of a real pirate fan so don't hold back and share your constructive criticism.

27360592789_b39944f330_c.jpg

I'm sure some of you will recognize some similarities with the Red Beard Runner, such as the red hull and the general color scheme :pir-oh:. I found that a red hull is in general not very popular amongst ship-builders but I can tell you that I've been working on a brown and a white variant, at the same time I will make an alternative with the new type of hull. I will post these later (still need to gather some parts for that).

24301347687_8f6747f8d6_z.jpg

The sails were taken from the Skull's Eye Schooner and attached using technic ball pins and studded ropes.

38282266855_289c92299f_c.jpg

24301330417_69443112ac_z.jpg

The crows nest was made using the same technique as I did years ago on my Flying Dutchman (which reached 10000 supporters as an Ideas project).

24301323477_d31b358467_c.jpg

38282315305_03598a2c6b_c.jpg

Custom built cannons on deck.

39162419331_a8d81c86d6_c.jpg

38454756874_72aaa0a488_c.jpg

You can actually see through the skylight.

38358902904_47b69fcde0_c.jpg

The CMF pirate would make an excellent crew member.

27360592789_b39944f330_c.jpg

I seem to have lost my interior pictures. Hold on while I retrieve those. They are on the Ideas page if you can't wait though.

If you feel like supporting just click any of the pictures, it will lead you right to the project page :pir-sweet:.

Edited by Sebeus I

6 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

It's 100% LEGO parts, which is a requirement for an Ideas project. 

38282266855_289c92299f_c.jpg

I actually find the red quite striking on this ship but would be curious what it would look like on white... You would loose that prefab rear though.   

This is a quality build and it is a ship i would gladly purchase.  You have my support sir.   

I do enjoy the curve of the rigging as well

I am curious how you accomplished the inverted brown

Edited by Roadmonkeytj
Fixed

You have my support!  As usual, you've done a tremendous job!

Oddly enough, I'm more interested in seeing the white hull variant than the brown.

Oh god, it's BEAUTIFUL! Reminds me of the Red Beard Runner from the tail end of the Classic Pirates line! My second favorite Pirate Ship when I was little!

Beautiful ship, and a great example of how to work a flashy color scheme while keeping a realistic look.
It is a very good thing to have opted for quite sober sails in terms of colors, it effectively balances the decorations. Same for the brown and the bridge which is in duller colors. The white stripe also lighten the whole. Excellent work.
  The ship makes a good compromise between the classic pirates look and historic ship.

I really like the integration of the round tile "cut trunk"; it is a nice detail and it works perfectly, and given the novelty of the piece, it may be the first time it is used in this way.

It's a shame not to see the red hull used more often, because it really offers unique possibilities.

About Ideas itself, I do not think that a ship that uses "retro" parts (the rear of the hull, the short rope ladders) can pass the review phase of the Ideas team... :(

19 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I actually find the red quite striking on this ship but would be curious what it would look like on white... You would loose that prefab rear though.   

This is a quality build and it is a ship i would gladly purchase.  You have my support sir.   

I do enjoy the curve of the rigging as well

I am curious how you accomplished the inverted brown

Thanks a lot for the support :pir-sweet:

What do you mean by "inverted brown"?

18 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

You have my support!  As usual, you've done a tremendous job!

Oddly enough, I'm more interested in seeing the white hull variant than the brown.

Ha, I'll be doing both anyway :wink:.

3 hours ago, Edward Jones said:

About Ideas itself, I do not think that a ship that uses "retro" parts (the rear of the hull, the short rope ladders) can pass the review phase of the Ideas team... :(

Thanks, I'm looking for alternatives for these parts, I've made some brick-built sterns on the new hulls before (Beatrix, Raging Fire), nothing is truly impossible :pir-classic:.

The detailing on the chain holes it appears to be the frame for a window with the 2x1 slope in front is what I was wondering about

8 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

The detailing on the chain holes it appears to be the frame for a window with the 2x1 slope in front is what I was wondering about

rsz_20171221_140723.jpg

My phone acted funny apparently but you can see most of it. It's not a window but A round brick and a tile. The slopes are attached to brackets on a 1x8 plate.

This is my brown hull by the way but it's the same thing.

Edited by Sebeus I

38369086485_a39bf41268_c.jpg

I have been working a new hull.

Using the new hull type parts with a brick-built construction on the aft to serve as a worthy alternative for the old type hull.

27469618049_f05b4aa8e2_c.jpg

38369085905_19e4e1cc71_c.jpg

This took me a couple of hours to get it figured out, it might be a bit too complex. I think I'll look for a simpler construction.

In the meantime, I need more supporters:pir-classic:

On 23-12-2017 at 8:59 PM, Sebeus I said:

Unfortunately at the moment the Ideas site refuses to let me log in though. :pir-murder: Maybe its maintenance time.

Honestly, I'm not sold at the brick built aft hull atm. It looks too jagged at the second brick layer on the sides.

But those rope holes for the rudder are genial!

On 12/23/2017 at 2:59 PM, Sebeus I said:

38369086485_a39bf41268_c.jpg

I have been working a new hull. 

<other stuffs>

Did you make your 100 to get the extended days? Sorry haven't opened those emails lately been sorta busy. Do you think they would notice if there were several different accounts from the same ip? Lol i would feel guilty about cheating the system but man i want this set lol.

On another note ... The white stern .... Did you try using the second level bow peice ... Or does that eliminate the chain holes?

Idk i feel the same about the looking over complicated ... I dare say gaudy ... Maybe Im just biased towards the old prefab hulls they just have a certain elegance to them.  I wonder why lego ventured away from them?

Overall while the white hull is impressive and I may be borrowing its design I think that it throws off the color scheme makes it feel too black and white so to speak.  The red is bold and imho gives it that great pop.  I think any other color wouldn't do it justice ... Even redish brown I feel would make it bland and feel like just another boat.

Honestly though what price range would you say this is if I were to aquire the bricks myself?  Save for the sails ... As I already know that nightmare.

The more i look at the photos i just noticed ... Did you plan the portions where the rigging for different sized rigging? That would be great actually a nice wide one on the mainmast with a narrow one on the foremast the current width looks right on the mizzen though

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

Beautiful ship! Absolutely supported! Not only would love a ship designed by an amazing shipbuilder like yourself but also because it would be great if Lego would make more ye olde ships, period. I just got the new destiny's bounty and can't remember the last time I had that much fun building an official set and hadn't built a ship since skulls eye schooner circa '93. Here's hoping!

Sadly it looks like we will fall short of the supporters needed...  What are the plans from here?  Would love to build this one for myself! 

18 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Sadly it looks like we will fall short of the supporters needed...  What are the plans from here?  Would love to build this one for myself! 

Indeed...

But I will try again, I have quite some ships planned for 2019. Nevertheless, gaining the supporters is not easy, I need to extend my media to reach a lot more people. 

Also, shameless self-promotion is not really my thing but this ship isn't going to get the supporters by itself. I need to work on that. I do believe that this model actually has what it needs to make it through the review and become an actual set. I just need to push it that far :laugh:.

I'm going to make that white hulled alternative first and see how I go from there.

Awesome model. I love all the little details hidden in the model. Adds so much character. Have supported. Wish you luck with it :)

7 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

Indeed...

But I will try again, I have quite some ships planned for 2019. Nevertheless, gaining the supporters is not easy, I need to extend my media to reach a lot more people. 

Also, shameless self-promotion is not really my thing but this ship isn't going to get the supporters by itself. I need to work on that. I do believe that this model actually has what it needs to make it through the review and become an actual set. I just need to push it that far :laugh:.

I'm going to make that white hulled alternative first and see how I go from there.

Well let me know what I can do...  I wanted it from first laying eyes on it so any help you got it from me.