Sign in to follow this  
Deeks

Deeks 2017 Winter Village

Well after taking much inspiration from others here and having moved into a large home this fall I present our family's Winter Village this year! There are far more pictures here http://www.michaeldaykin.ca/2017/12/this-year-as-we-are-in-larger-home-we.html if you are looking for more detail. I had a lot of fun setting up pictures of the crew putting the village together after the move, right from laying the track to the finishing touches. They layout is on a Costco folding plastic table, which by the way are almost exactly 3x7 32 stud baseplates in size. At first I was just laying it out on a white table cloth but after finding white 4x6 plates on the PAB and deciding to try some 3rd party white base plates, I was able to almost completely cover the table with studs. The Village is made up of all of the official Winter sets (less the cottage) as well as a some of the smaller seasonal sets and a couple advent calendars. There are 12 32x32 3rd party baseplates occupying the front 2/3s of the table with the back 1/3 brick and plates. I raised each of the buildings in the back by one brick and used, the 4x6 white plates to texture up to them. The PAB wall also had the round one stud red-trans tiles which I used to mark some paths, and then I went back and they had the red and green 4x4 plates which made the main paths around. My wife also filled in the back of the station a little bit to make the back look more finished.

What I really wanted to do this year though was the mountain with Santa's workshop on top. After a BL order I was able to build it to what you see. There is a dish shelf from Ikea providing the structural support. I also used the Creator Mountain Hut to serve as the base of one side of the mountain. The plan for next year is to make it completely brick built and more of an L shape, possibly with a ski hill but definately a second tunnel portal. How it gets fleshed out next year will partially depend on next year's winter set and how it would fit in. I'm going to get one more 4 pack of the base plates I bought so they go all the way to left side of the table and then a couple to go under the back side of the mountain.

I hope you enjoy our little village, our family is having a lot of fun with it and setting up little scenes as we go.

IMG_8410.JPG

IMG_8413.JPG

IMG_8408.JPG

Very well done! Happy holidays to you and your family. This is such a great tradition to build Lego Winter Village each year, it's our third year now )