Ivan_M

[MOC] Ultimate Volvo EW160E - instructions done

@Ivan_M what can I say else than beautifull moc, it brings me back when I was a child looking outside from window (because in ex-yu we can not get toys due to very bad economic situation...) how excavator loads dirt in dump truck... and now you made this beauty :wub:

To end this post in some kind of wisdom - difference between man and boy is in price of toy :wink:

Hello Ivan. I really like the model you are buidling but like others have said aswell, i'm also not a fan of the bucket.

Wouldn't the bucket from 8862 be better? I'm not sure if these are in the same scale or not but it seems like it could fit.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4700&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

Edited by Sjoemie himself
typo

3 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

thank you, the two piece boom is quite common for small excavators like EW160, it adds much better range in tight space

Ah so I see, must be a European thing mostly as I actually have never seen a wheeled excavator either. Other than ones with a loader on front as well, all track hoes around here. I'd say you really nailed it though looking at that picture. Congrats. 

nice MOC indeed.

I kind of think that one bucket might look ok also. hope there will be a video.

are the front wheels that way around due to build?

9 hours ago, Sjoemie himself said:

Hello Ivan. I really like the model you are buidling but like others have said aswell, i'm also not a fan of the bucket.

Wouldn't the bucket from 8862 be better? I'm not sure if these are in the same scale or not but it seems like it could fit.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4700&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

Thank you! I have this bucket but it is not suitable at all - it is far too big and shape is also very bad.

2 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

nice MOC indeed.

I kind of think that one bucket might look ok also. hope there will be a video.

are the front wheels that way around due to build?

Thank you very much. Yes one bucket is probably better, I will post a picture later today. Once the build is finished I will make video as well. The front wheels are mounted that way for purpose. I almost always use small hubs with 3 ball joints and 5x1 steering arms. With that setup you have pivot point almost in the middle of the wheel and ackermann geometry, you can see it in my previous builds like here:

I know that the front wheels would look better with disc turned around, but I value better steering more.

On 11. 1. 2018 at 8:16 AM, Ivan_M said:

Yes one bucket is probably better, I will post a picture later today

Ha ha, easier said than done! It once again prooves that modifying certain designs to adapt it for something differnt is more difficult than making it from scratch. The arm was made prcisely for bucket 10x3 (mounting points, angle etc.) so it is impossible to fit one bucket from BWE without making new arm and I don't want to do that. So the 10x3 bucket is back and will stay there. I hope the last package with parts arrive today to finish the build and post final pictures and video. I will then make digital file and BI. Stay tuned.

4 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

Ha ha, easier said than done! It once again prooves that modifying certain designs to adapt it for something differnt is more difficult than making it from scratch. The arm was made prcisely for bucket 10x3 (mounting points, angle etc.) so it is impossible to fit one bucket from BWE without making new arm and I don't want to do that. So the 10x3 bucket is back and will stay there. I hope the last package with parts arrive today to finish the build and post final pictures and video. I will then make digital file and BI. Stay tuned.

Thank you, I may just once buy parts it, I love it that much.

Today morning I have read brochure for 160E series and you made right choice to use 49.5 tire in scale 1:21.5 (original tires are about 1060mm in diameter). Maximal overall width (with wide od double tires) is 2750mm, so your width is good choice 

nice indeed!

I am really surprised at the nice slow speed of the 1x11 (?) pneumatic pumps on the arm. I thought they would be very quick given the small volume (I don't have any yet). you have motorised pumping from a small pump?

Thank you. There is hand pump, you can see it in the pictures. I have taken it out for video so I could have hand out of the picture. The slow motion is given by "frame" around the valves. The space for lever is a little bit limited by liftarm and they are not fully opened when switched.

It is very nice. I like also use of small pneumatic cylinders for outriggers and front blade. It is very nice MOC :wub:

Awesome machine, cannot wait for the instructions! Love the limited valves, it works amazing on the movement control. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, curakar said:

Realy good MOC....Are you planing to make instructions?

Here's your answer:

8 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

*snip* As mentioned, I'm working on instructions. I already have undercarrige and it is quite fast process because the whole part count is quite low.

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki
Curse of Misspelling was cast

15 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Awesome machine, cannot wait for the instructions! Love the limited valves, it works amazing on the movement control. :thumbup:

Oops, sorry for misleading you, I was totally wrong as the switch for bucket emptying is not covered. The slow movement is (most probably) given by the overal tubbing length - when the pump is mounted on excavator is is ~50cm (and the movement is still slow), in video I have extended the hose to have the pump outside by another 1m and it is necessary to pump several times to pressurize such long tubbing. Otherwise I cannot explain it, the cylinder, swich and pump are without any defect.

Stepped digital file is done, I will try to finish it today. Funny is that part count is 1020 + tubbing, that is ~100 part less than set part count!

39744109382_6bc616daba_c.jpgVolvo EW160E

Edited by Ivan_M

4 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

Stepped digital file is done, I will try to finish it today. Funny is that part count is 1020 + tubbing, that is ~100 part less than set part count.

Better job than lego!

7 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

Stepped digital file is done, I will try to finish it today. Funny is that part count is 1020 + tubbing, that is ~100 part less than set part count!

That is optimizing :thumbup: