Sign in to follow this  
Saberwing40k

Should Lego bring back Racers?

Is it time for a Racers comeback?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Lego bring back Racers?

• Yes! There is a gap between regular System and Technic, and that could be filled.
    • Yes! Move the simple pullbacks and car models into their own theme.
    • No! There is no niche for Racers to fill, and such a theme would not sell well/canibalize Technic sales.
    • No! There is no reason to have simpler sets at all, that just puts Technic too close to system lines, especially given how complex some System sets are.
    • None of the above! I'm putting my answer in the comments.

With several recent sets, like 42070 and 42077, there has been a lot of controversy over looks versus functions. On the one side, are the people who think that Technic sets should have more emphasis on functions, and deride sets like 42077 for looking good, and doing little else. On the other side, there are the people who think that simple sets that look good are just fine, and "what the kids want". With that in mind, I think Lego should actually split off simple Technic sets into a reborn Racers theme. This would provide both groups of fans with what they want, and provide more options for consumers. However, can you even make a business case for a new Racers theme? I don't actually think so. But first, I'll make a case for a new theme, and then provide all of the reasons I don't think it will work. Lego has had, for the longest time, a Juniors theme by some name or other. Now, some people, myself included, might think that it would be unneeded to have a theme between Duplo and regular System, but Lego did their research, and Juniors exists, and sells enough to justify keeping around. Now, you could make the argument that the same could apply between System and Technic, but I say otherwise. I say that Technic should not focus on simpler models at all, and there is no need for a new Racers theme. Why? I don't know if I have the answer, but I have something. What is the point of Technic? What niche does the Technic line fill? I say the point of Technic is for authentic, technical models. That's not opinion. Lego themselves say that's what Technic is about. Not only do simpler models undermine the entire reason for being of Technic, they do no provide any meaningful step up from System sets, if they don't have any sort of draw. If you want a set that is playable, you get a City or Star Wars or other of those themes, and if you want a good looking model, you go with Expert Creator, or UCS Star Wars, or Architecture. So, where does that leave Technic? That leaves Technic as the line of models for machinery fans. Making Technic appeal to younger kids, in my opinion, is a mistake from a business standpoint. Lego already has plenty of themes to appeal to children, so I don't understand this mentality of "Every them has to appeal to everybody." So, that's what I think. But, you might say, wouldn't Lego do research on this? I say focus groups only go so far, and they can be done wrong. But, I say that there is no need for simpler Technic sets, as a large number of System sets are quite complex on their own, and moving Technic down would only cannibalize sales, as then they'd be competing directly with other System sets. I think that Lego needs to keep Technic more complex, and do more to keep people interested, rather than try to capture a market that is already well handled by their other themes. So then, why did i propose this question if I already think it's a bad idea? Because I am but one data point. I want to see what you guys think.

I pretty much agree with what you said. I don’t know whether I’d reinstate the racers theme because evidently there was a reason it was ended. I wouldn’t cannibalise all small Technic sets though since the small ones serve as an introduction to the theme for newcomers, but I’d definitely like to see less sets being released per year, with only maybe one or two being small, so that more resources could be allocated towards making the larger models as good/functional as possible.

My ideal vision for the theme would be six sets per year with authentic functions: Two with >2000 pieces, two with 1000-2000 pieces, one with 500-1000 pieces and one with <500 pieces. This would ensure that both racing vehicles as well as small vehicles still exist.

There would be six categories of vehicles used:

- Construction: cranes, bulldozers, excavators, diggers, loaders, graders, mining, etc.

- Aircraft: stunt planes, helicopters, spacecraft, etc.

- Racing: cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc.

- Seacraft: hydroplanes, hovercraft, boats, yachts, etc.

- Transportation: trucks, emergency, civil use, port vehicles, etc.

- Farming: tractors, harvesters, etc.

These categories would cycle through all set sizes every six years to keep variety.

Edited by Bartybum

As much as I agree with many of your points, I am not sure I've seen discussions like these accomplish much with TLG. Do not get me wrong, there are many things I wish the TLG did differently, though in the end, they are driven by their own 'strategy' to ensure you and I (and countless others) keep on buying their sets (no issue with that, it is a personal choice/addiction) ... yet I've seen VERY FEW times TLG listen to the community. In the end end, it's ok to dream and wish, especially this time of year ... Happy Holidays. 

I don't think I will put too much here, because like @DrJB said, they follow their own agenda.

If I ever work for them, I would sure clear things up when needed.