Legopold

Modular Park Street Townhouse with Train Tunnel (31065 MOD)

Hi,

I got inspired by a few pictures in this thread and decided to create a modular train tunnel section. Of course this idea sounds somewhat silly, although in reality it is not totally uncommon as the hilarious pictures in the aforementioned thread prove. However, I had fun building this piece and especially like the idea to bring my modular buildings and trains closer together.

The tunnel was built on a 16*32 base plate, on top I placed a modified version of an alternative build of the official LEGO set 31065 Park Street Townhouse. The tunnel is 10 studs wide and leaves enough space for most of my rolling stock to pass through.

The townhouse can be reached by stairs. In the front and the backyard I added some plants and a tree.

XdEEBhE.jpg

Here you can see how it fits together with the detective office and one section of the pet shop. The train passing through the tunnel is a modified version of the Maersk train with BNSF color scheme.

L925LKC.jpg

Some more pictures of the building:

0QTdQEL.jpg

MrcHz2l.jpg

m6DDmCw.jpg

PHDhXva.jpg

n4o8eBo.jpg

The top of the tunnel can be removed. This gives view to a small maintenance area inside the tunnel_

cdscMKW.jpg

ltx84iu.jpg

kMP5Wyf.jpg

I hope you enjoyed these pictures.

Best wishes

Arnold

Nice MOC

Kind of scary situation when that Train comes through the tunnel, but really cool

I like the maintenance area and the tree as well as the greenhouse roof. Thanks for sharing!

Nice build! Looks real good with all the foliage around the tunnel. I especially like the tree which is hanging over the train line  (although it does look like a safety issue).

How did you get the tree truck to curve? You need to tile the stairs. That will help the step distance on the top step. Very interesting build!

Thanks for all the nice feedback which I enjoyed to read.

The tree is constructed by 1x2 plates which are attached to 1x1 bricks with studs on 4 sides. The 1x1 bricks are connected to each other by a hose rigid through the top stud. This gives a rather fragile construction (although possible), thus for convenience I pushed a copper wire into the rigid hose which enables to effortlessly shape the tree as it suits best. I find this solution acceptable, although certainly many users disagree and consider adding non-lego parts a no-go.

Here are some more pictures of the Maersk train in BNSF colors. The first pictures were taken before adding the decals which you can see in the last picture:

BNSF_1.jpgBNSF_2.jpgBNSF_3.jpgBNSF_4.jpgind3qur4.jpg

Great MOC, and a beautiful solution for getting some trains into a city build made of mostly Creator Expert buildings. Well done!

Edited by Drunknok
Spelling.

Wow! This proves that you don't need much space to fit railway into your city. I really love the tree, too. Have to try it myself. Great work! Love the bushes, too.

Great idea.  Looks great.  I wouldn't want to live in that house.  It'll probably shake every time a train rumbles by.