kbalage

42077 Rally Car - with A & B model RC mod

Thanks for posting the part list. Good to see the variety of dark azure being increased; some nice new parts there. Also, is the 3x4x5 bent panel new in dark gray?

Just now, Erik Leppen said:

Thanks for posting the part list. Good to see the variety of dark azure being increased; some nice new parts there. Also, is the 3x4x5 bent panel new in dark gray?

Do you mean part 6133243?  I think they call it a 3x6x3 and no it is not new in DBG.

Here is my quick review of the B-model. As it does not have any special features apart from the cool design I decided to boost up the video a little bit :)

Thanks for the funny morning starter! :laugh:

Creative and very well done video setup. :thumbup:

Not sure if it was done on purpose, or that anyone cares but the light bar on the front of the A model is upside down. 

Thanks folks, I felt the need to add something to the video as the car itself does not have too many features to show :) I added some images and thoughts in my blog post if you're interested.

The pieces left from the A model:
PANA0450_EB_ret.jpg

@Johnny1360 - I'd call that creative freedom :) Thanks for pointing it out, I always manage to mess up some little details. Maybe it'd be better to make these videos after sleeping and not during the night :)

kbalage, wasn't trying to be nit picky or anything, only noticed because I did it the same way when I put mine together. Got a little chuckle out of it. 

3 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

kbalage, wasn't trying to be nit picky or anything, only noticed because I did it the same way when I put mine together. Got a little chuckle out of it. 

No worries, it happens all the time. I managed to build the rear axle of 42069 reversed when I did the my first video about it and didn't even realize, I was actually quite happy how well it goes backwards :laugh:

Hah, that video is awesome. The B-model looks great. No real standout features (e.g. lights on 42039 B-model), but great looks at least.

As instructions are available, built it

800x566.jpg

I like it. It is pretty lightweight for size. Seems pretty playable. In worst case, good parts pack.

What I don't like. Seats and steering wheel seems form some smaller car, they are out of scale. Steering angle is really limited. 

Lot of space for motorizing. It seems, that even standard battery could be fitted under front bonnet, in place of vents. Servo motor should be easy to connect directly to front axle, under the fake engines, seems, that two L motors could fit.

Will try to motorize tomarrow.

Standard battery doesn't fit under bonnet.

Removed limiters from steering rack. Much better. Don't see any need for them.

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

Not so bad in real.

Seen in real won't change my mind.

my opinon on the three most recent racers, 42000, 42039, and 42077.I

42000 (own): must buy, gearbox- playability. 42039 (own): definitely worth it, gearbox- playability. 42077: consideration needed, no extra playability, other 2 have 200 more parts.

Just noticed a funny little error in the 42077 B model manual during the creation of the RC upgrade manual. At step 210 the black pins that will support the hood are already in place and while you're building the hood in the next steps they are correctly not visible. At step 220 where the assembly happens suddenly they appear on the hood section and not on the body :) Looks like they changed the assembly process a bit but did not update all steps :)

42077_B_manual_error.jpg

Edited by kbalage

55 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Just noticed a funny little error in the 42077 B model manual during the creation of the RC upgrade manual. At step 210 the black pins that will support the hood are already in place and while you're building the hood and in the next steps they are correctly not visible. At step 220 where the assembly happens suddenly they appear on the hood section and not on the body :) Looks like they changed the assembly process a bit but did not update all steps :)

Good catch! 

I created an RC mod for the B model. The aim was to use primarily the parts left from the A model and to provide multiple motor/power source/remote control options. Here is the video about it:

There are 2 main different mods with options:

Power Functions L motor mod:
- driven by 2 Power Functions L motors
- steering by Power Functions Servo motor
- Battery options - AAA/rechargeable/AA battery box
- Remote options - IR remote/SBrick

extra parts needed (besides electrical components):
1 Technic Gear 16 Tooth Reinforced (94925)
3 Technic Gear 20 Tooth Double Bevel (18575)

Buggy motor + BuWizz mod:
- driven by 1 buggy motor
- steering by Power Functions Servo motor
- power & control by 1 BuWizz unit

extra parts needed (besides electrical components):
1 Technic Gear 20 Tooth Double Bevel (18575)

Building instructions are available on my webpage:

http://racingbrick.com/2018/01/lego-technic-42077-buggy-b-model-rc-mod-building-instructions/

I just built kbalage's RC mod for B Model and I was very impressed.  Excellent work getting the battery box to just barely fit underneath the hood.  42077 isn't the greatest of innovative sets, but its a great parts pack that allows for easy modding as kbalage has done.  Thank you very much!

It took me much more time than expected (mostly due to the creation of digital instructions), but finally the video about my 42077 2WD & 4WD mod is published:

I tried to stick to the currently available parts so no buggy motor this time, sorry :) Features of the two mods:

2WD:

– 2 Power Functions L motors
– Servo motor for steering
– Working V6 engine
– AAA battery box
– IR remote control

4WD:

– 4 Power Functions L motors
– Servo motor for steering
– 4 Power Functions lights
– Working steering wheel
– Working V6 engine
– Working cooling fan placed abouve the engine
– Power by 2 BuWizz units

More pictures & info can be found in my blog post

Great job. Are you able show a little more about how you installed the drive to the front axle and the re-positioning of the steering mechanics.

42077 reminds me a lot of 8081 in its ability to take a number of internal mechanical modifications. As I prepare to make my own MOD of 42077, I am interested to know a little more about how you solved some of the space issues for the front.

12 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

As I prepare to make my own MOD of 42077, I am interested to know a little more about how you solved some of the space issues for the front.

Do you mean where the diff was placed, taking into account a battery and Servo? Well, I don't mid as well... But since the instruction for 4WD (is it 4WD or AWD, by the way, how the axles are coupled?) is paid, the author may prefer to keep it in a secret :wink:

@Thirdwigg Thank you! There's nothing special there, I assume it can be done in multiple ways, possibly in a more elegant way as well :) The steering goes right above the differential with the steering rack sitting on top of the 5x7 frame:

2018-03-29-20.02.01_EB_ret.jpg

@Void_S there are no huge secrets, I don't think that sharing some parts of the solution would hurt. The Servo sits between the seats, the two L motors are in front of the seats on the "floor" and connected to the differential. Batteries are placed on the two sides between the door and the seat. Due to this the only non-functional pieces are the doors when the batteries are installed, they have to be removed instead of opening. The roll cage had to be reconstructed but it's still there.

Btw 2-2 L motors are connected to the front and rear differentials and there's no connection between the front and rear section so I think this is 4WD, but correct me if I'm wrong :)