25166588628_620ed19797_c.jpg

Micah is out with Hanska and his friend, Deganawidah, hunting in the plains of Lacryma. The island primarily has open plains with scattered trees that have the highest density near rivers and creeks. Today, they are hunting for the deer that roam on the island, but it takes a smart hunter to get close to them, as the deer have keen eyes and a sharp nose. They have been following a deer and hog trail right up to one of the creek crossings. They hope to spot the deer on the other side of the creek.

38152462075_20cd100edb_z.jpg

27261567169_2c48752122_z.jpg

Hanska explained to Micah that the hogs that have populated the island like to live in bramble patches where it is hard to get to them. It is unwise to go in after them, and the primary method of hunting the hogs has been to waylay them in the moonlight with spears. Though the Corrington rifles have proven more effective against their thick skin than the Onondaga's bows and arrows and this has drawn the attention of the Onondaga. 

24172806017_892c3e72ba_c.jpg

25166500518_3571ca0882_c.jpg

Notes: This build was a concept since last Christmas, and I have had the deer built and waiting for the forest ever since. I finally got around to building the forest around Thanksgiving and just finished it recently. The build is 72x64 studs which is my largest physical build to date. The trees kept falling over on me, and they also got attacked by the toddler between photography sessions, so they were my least favorite part of the whole build. I borrowed the birch trees from @Kai NRG's great build. I intend to license this in Elizabethville as a medium plantation. Additional photos behind the spoiler. 

27261676809_d2e7828e02_c.jpg

38322104824_455c427a9a_z.jpg

38322131944_07a6ba0e0e_z.jpg

38322098574_f491b76666_z.jpg

24172818317_e4f4b48b97_c.jpg

Edited by SilentWolf

That's a huge diorama! You've managed to recreate the landscape of a plain scattered with bushes, the stream crossing the scene is a nice add and I like your deers.

Great looking deer and wonderful landscape, SilentWolf! The scattered trees, rolling landscape and thick underbrush seems absolutely perfect to me for Lacryma.

The trails look great at a distance - close up, it looks a little odd that they should be higher, rather than lower than the surrounding landscape. ;)

Details like the little creek (your method for water makes it look like it's running merrily!) and the fallen tree, and the colourful undergrowth all makes the whole thing come alive.

Very nice build and good luck on your hunt!

Woah, huge. To me it looks a lot bigger than "only" 72x64 studs, propably because of the amount of things going on in terms of details.

The deer are among my favourite bits here, but the true star to me is vegetation. All those different types of trees, bushes and undergrowth, it makes the scene look truly natural and realistic. Same goes for the change from dense forest to grassland. Expertly done! The small river is another gret addition, without taking awaythe attention from its surroundings.

Another masterpiece from you.

13 hours ago, Bodi said:

That's a huge diorama! You've managed to recreate the landscape of a plain scattered with bushes, the stream crossing the scene is a nice add and I like your deers.

Thank you! I feel a stream really adds a nice touch, and I borrowed the deer design but then edited it for my own liking and parts. The Brick Warrior antlers definitely help with the depiction. 

12 hours ago, Bregir said:

Great looking deer and wonderful landscape, SilentWolf! The scattered trees, rolling landscape and thick underbrush seems absolutely perfect to me for Lacryma.

The trails look great at a distance - close up, it looks a little odd that they should be higher, rather than lower than the surrounding landscape. ;)

Details like the little creek (your method for water makes it look like it's running merrily!) and the fallen tree, and the colourful undergrowth all makes the whole thing come alive.

Very nice build and good luck on your hunt!

Thank you. Yes, the trails were my frustration. I have lots of the 2x3, 2x4 sloped plates in browns but very few in green. So to create the angled trail edges I had to put the brown on top. I was hoping the vegetation would help prevent it from being as obvious. I also should have changed it in the areas I was using normal plates for the trail to at least level them with the surroundings. The fallen tree was not planned but thought of part way through the build. I think it added a lot of realism to the build though. 

10 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Looks like american indian on the hunt in the Flathead national forest in USA

really good MOC

I may have not have been in that forest, but I have been out in the forest a bit lately and have been making mental notes of things I wanted to replicate. Though the Onondaga people in BOBS are roughly based off the real counterparts in the Iroquois nation. 

9 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Nice diorama !

I like the native North American vibe it has !

good job !

Thank you! I definitely have aimed for Lacryma to have a more North American native focus. 

8 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Woah, huge. To me it looks a lot bigger than "only" 72x64 studs, propably because of the amount of things going on in terms of details.

The deer are among my favourite bits here, but the true star to me is vegetation. All those different types of trees, bushes and undergrowth, it makes the scene look truly natural and realistic. Same goes for the change from dense forest to grassland. Expertly done! The small river is another gret addition, without taking awaythe attention from its surroundings.

Another masterpiece from you.

It is quite large. I had built it on 6 baseplates so that I could move it for photos. I have been studying the different styles of trees, bushes and undergrowth in other people's builds for a while to find a great variety to use. It is part of why I love BOBS and Eurobricks is I can always research what others are doing to inspire me for what I am working on. 

4 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Really, really cool! Wonderful! :-) 

Thank you!

Wonderful forest! Makes me want to go for a walk there :laugh:

Love the variety of the trees and the nicely built deer

Absolutely fantastic build @SilentWolf. It really captures the feel of a forest, and field. Absolutely excellent. Shame a 64x64 build is only a medium plantation, however. 

Wow. Wonderful MOC and story! You've really captured the feel of a lightly wooded area where one would find deer. Those first three pics are fantastic, the third pic in particular -- I feel like I've been there!  :thumbup:

7 hours ago, Puvel said:

Wonderful forest! Makes me want to go for a walk there :laugh:

Love the variety of the trees and the nicely built deer

Thank you! I want to go walk there too. My toddler tried, and it didn't go well. :pir-laugh::pir-oh:

3 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Absolutely fantastic build @SilentWolf. It really captures the feel of a forest, and field. Absolutely excellent. Shame a 64x64 build is only a medium plantation, however. 

Thank you! I had contemplated adding more to try to get it to a large, but I was out of green slopes and leaves, and was running low on the stems and undergrowth. Thus a medium it had to be. 

14 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Wow. Wonderful MOC and story! You've really captured the feel of a lightly wooded area where one would find deer. Those first three pics are fantastic, the third pic in particular -- I feel like I've been there!  :thumbup:

Thank you! I was quite unhappy with my first round of pictures so I took more and was glad I did. The view down the stream is my favorite. I actually had several of them but had to figure out which was the best. 

Beautiful build. The varying vegetation and terrain look great and the deer turned out nicely, regardless of who designed them. You did really well depicting the transition from wooded creek to open plains, and it definitely looks like a North American scene. The fallen tree with dead leaves is nice and the wild pig hiding in the brush is realistic. Good work all around. :thumbup:

It's about time for "Dee vs Deer"... :devil: :pir-skel:

Echoing Captain Dee, what a beautiful build with really great atmosphere. I love the way the open plains roll into the gully with the wooded creek, and those brick built deer are great as well. Fantastic job!