Sign in to follow this  
u118224

Question on IR Remotes

I did a search but didn’t find an answer. All of the RC mods I have seen use the 8885 remote for steering, which only has 3 steering positions. Is is possible to use the 8879 remote with the servo? 

Yes. It is possible, but many builders now prefer to use a device called an Sbrick. It's a third party Bluetooth controller compatible with Lego motors. It is a lot more controllable than even using the train remote.

Thanks for the info, I found the SBrick website. I am very rudimentary when it comes to powering Legos but I enjoy building them with my grandson. I will probably just use the 8885 for now for purposes of cost and simplicity. Thanks again and I certainly enjoy Eurobricks.

I got back into lego a couple months ago after like 13 years of dark ages, bought a couple IR receivers and both remote controllers.

Enjoyed building with them at first but eventually took the plunge and got an SBrick, oh my what a difference, both in performance and the space it takes up in your models!

My IR components are at the bottom of my boxes now and I doubt I'll ever use them again, the SBrick does everything so much better and if you add up the cost of 2 receivers and 2 remote controllers there's not much difference.

You definitely won't regret getting an SBrick, and now you can even use them with Android compatible (I think?)  console controllers, haven't tried it myself but everyone who has seems very positive about how it works.

I’m trying to learn a little more about  Sbricks. It appears there are 4 “ports” in each brick. Can I run 2 L motors, a servo and LEGO headlights from one SBrick? Thank you.

28 minutes ago, u118224 said:

I’m trying to learn a little more about  Sbricks. It appears there are 4 “ports” in each brick. Can I run 2 L motors, a servo and LEGO headlights from one SBrick? Thank you.

Yes, you can.

You could make your own controller with an Arduino and some coding for a lot less than a Sbrick.  You can also use different inputs than a touch screen for control.

Using the 8879, pressing the red button will return the servo motor to center position.