Sariel

75187 BB-8 UCS full RC mod with free instructions

I'm not 100% sure if this belongs here, seeing as it's a Technic mod of a Star Wars set, but let the moderators decide. So, I want to share with you complete and free instructions for modding the UCS BB-8 set to be fully RC. And by fully RC I mean: it can drive, steer, it has rotating side panels (so it appears to be rolling when viewed from side) and retains the wobbly head. Ths instructions are available at http://sariel.pl/downloads/ and while they're completely free, you may want to consider a small donation if you feel it is earned at https://www.paypal.me/sarielpl

Here's the video followed by a link to photos and description:

More: http://sariel.pl/2017/12/75187-bb-8-ucs-rc-mod/

With discussions of instruction cost, making money, etc  popping up here and there the fact that this is offered for free isn't just fantastic or great, it truly reflects what a great contributor to the community you are Sariel. 

Wonderful function to a set that will likely become very popular.  We will leave the placement of the thread to the moderators, but I know this would also be a smashing hit in the SW community thread a well. 

Brilliant mod.  My only suggestions are to post a MoC on rebrickable with parts list and maybe a link on SW thread.  People there will likely never come here and rebrickable would get a lot more attention to your fantastic mod/ MoC.

Totally going to up the set's value for many people. I also say that the work, dedication, and loyalty to lego you have is very admirable.

Removing orange parts on front and back and tiny details, and leaving these areas all white, might give a better impression, when in motion, that its body is rolling as a whole. Especially when sides are rolling. Great execution nevertheless.

1 hour ago, technic_addict said:

My only suggestions are to post a MoC on rebrickable with parts list

I submitted it this morning and it's currently pending approval.

I also just posted a copy of this thread in the SW section, I hope this is acceptable.

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

With discussions of instruction cost, making money, etc  popping up here and there the fact that this is offered for free isn't just fantastic or great, it truly reflects what a great contributor to the community you are Sariel. 

Thanks, but to be accurate it's being offered as a donationware, which doesn't really seem to work, to be honest, since I have gotten exactly one donation to a total amount of 5 euro so far. Just something to keep in mind if you expect donationware to rain money.

Edited by Sariel

Wow Sariel, this is really well done.  Looks very accurate in motion.  Thanks so much for designing this and offering it to the community.  I can imagine it having a much broader appeal than a typical Technic MOC.

Just now, Blakbird said:

I can imagine it having a much broader appeal than a typical Technic MOC.

Thanks! The thread in the SW section of the forum has one answer so far, so the appeal is indeed quite broad ;)

3 hours ago, Sariel said:

I submitted it this morning and it's currently pending approval.

I also just posted a copy of this thread in the SW section, I hope this is acceptable.

Thanks, but to be accurate it's being offered as a donationware, which doesn't really seem to work, to be honest, since I have gotten exactly one donation to a total amount of 5 euro so far. Just something to keep in mind if you expect donationware to rain money.

Its early.  ?Hopefully you get more.  Right now i think you are only in the "view" stage in terms of customers.  Not likely to get much donations at this stage. But, when people actually decide to move to the "using" stage, i hope you get more donations. I know if i decided to those this modification i would donate.

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

Thanks! The thread in the SW section of the forum has one answer so far, so the appeal is indeed quite broad ;)

I predict it will get picked up by various Star Wars blogs out there.  Your server is going to get hammered!

Really cool! I’m as always in awe with the perfection of your MOCs and your attention to detail. Plus, this time with instructions! I really appreciate it. You should do so more often ... :wink:

I ordered one immediately as a present for my daughters (amazon.de has it on offer for 70 EUR). Will be a fun project to build during Christmas!

Thanks!