Darnok

[MMM] Merrynight Mystery Mini-Challenge

Merrynight Mystery Mini-Challenge

Merrynight is fast approaching, and minifigs all over the Brickseas prepare for the festivities. The festive season is not only about the 24th of December: there are varied traditions and celebrations over the winter solstice, the coming of the new year, and course Merrynight itself. All these rituals, traditions and festivities are handled differently in different kingdoms, colonies and sometimes even from town to town. Some of them are quite mysterious to outsiders.

Show and describe one of these traditions! This could be one of the following:

• a festive scene typical of your faction/island/town and some story alongside it
  • a scene showing one of the - maybe only local? - traditions (not directly linked to festivities) and its story
  • a scene from a myth or tale around one of the events or traditions mentioned above, and of course the myth/tale/story it appears in
  • a character of yours is dealing with the festivities or traditions either approving of them - or not

Feel free to interpret this - i.e. "festivities and traditions about or around the equivalent of Christmas and New Year in the world of BotBS" -  in creative ways. In case of any questions, either ask in this thread or PM me directly.

This mini-challenge will run from now on until the end of 9th of January 2018. The deadline has been extended to the 14th of January. If it is still the 14th anywhere on the world, you can still post a valid entry. Apart from that the following applies:

Rules

1. Each player can submit one entry.
  2. Each entry competes in two independent categories at the same time: "build" and "story".
  3. Each category comes with three prizes (see below).
  4. Your entry should consist of a build of at least 8x8 studs in size, and a story alongside it.
  5. There is no upper limit in build size or story length - "quality over quantity" is encouraged though.
  6. Digital builds can be used, but are not eligible in the "build" category.
  7. Winners will be determined by public vote after the 14th of January 2018; each registered BotBS player has one vote per category.
  8. Judging criteria are: quality and creativity of the MOC in the "build" category, quality of writing and creativity in the "story" category.
  9. Drunknok does not participate in the mini-challenge or the votes.
  10. Point #9 does not apply in case a vote is tied. In this case, Drunknoks choice acts as tie-breaker.

All rules questions or disputes are decided by Drunknok.

Prizes

1. The first place in each category receives the right to ask for a medium sized land property of their choice (other than forts) built by Drunknok during the month of April 2018. This means: the winner comes up with an idea, Drunknok builds it based on the input from the winner. This build can then be licensed by the winner, but Drunknok pays an amount of DB equal to the license fee to the winner.
  2. The second place in each category is worth 50DB.
  3. The third place in each category is worth 25DB.

Post your entry in a seperate thread, preferably with a [MMM] tag in the thread title. Then post a link to this thread here. The voting will be done by polls in two seperate threads, one for each category.

Edited by Drunknok
Deadline extension

Oooh this looks to be fun! That first prize looks really good.

1 hour ago, Lazlo said:

Hi! Sorry, what is the "DB" amount? Thanks!

DBs are doubloons, the unit of currency in the BoBS economic system.

As a means of inspiration, I will post information about some real world traditions around Christmas and New Year every now and then. Use what you find appropriate. If you have anything to add, feel free to post it too!

For a start, the Twelve Days Of Christmas.

And to whoever pinned this: thank you good sir! :thumbup:

Drunknok, I do have an entry coming, but due to RL conflicts, I won't get it posted until the last minute. FYI.

And I hope there are more entries out there to come; I like this mini-challenge.

2 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Drunknok, I do have an entry coming, but due to RL conflicts, I won't get it posted until the last minute. FYI.

And I hope there are more entries out there to come; I like this mini-challenge.

I second that!

Since the Main Challenge has been extended until January 30, I take the chance to extend the deadline for this mini-challenge.

The new deadline is the 14th of January.

3 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

See above. :classic:

Could everybody please check if his/her MMM entry has been linked in this thread?

Also: if somebody has a WIP entry and fears to not get it done in time, please send me a PM.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:16 AM, Drunknok said:

Could everybody please check if his/her MMM entry has been linked in this thread?

Also: if somebody has a WIP entry and fears to not get it done in time, please send me a PM.

My Wip is still in the contemptitive stage lol had 65hrs this week at work so needless to say ... 

The last entries are in. Apart from those already linked in this thread, I could also find the following. If there is any other entry I missed, please let me know!

The two threads for voting will be up on Friday afternoon or early evening (CET), voting will be possible for two weeks.

Voting has begun!

Cast your vote before the 2nd of February 2018. All entries compete in both categories (except for @SilentWolf and his LDD build, which is not eligible for the "Build" category - but for the "Story" category!):

Every BotBS player has one vote per category, voting is public, and voting for your own entry will get you disqualified.

Edited by Drunknok

Voting is over, the results are in! Winners are:

Best Build

1. Lord Buckethead - "A merry Mokolei Merrynight"
  2. Capt Wolf - "The Charity of Luna"
  3. Mesabi - "Love at first sight"

Best Story

1. Capt Wolf - "The Charity of Luna"
  2. Mike S - "The Dance of the Terran Cycle"
  3. Lord Buckethead - "A merry Mokolei Merrynight"

The rewards for places #2 and #3 are transferred already, the winners of the first places please get in contact via PM with me.

Many thanks to all participants, and congratuations to all winners!

Congratulations to all the winners and thank you @Drunknok for running this amazing minichallenge, I thought it was a great way to create some lore for the various religions and festivities of the Brick Seas and I had a lot of fun particiapating. Also thank you to everyone who voted for my entry, I really appreciate it, especially when there was so much great competition.

Congratulations to the winners and everyone who entered for some fun builds. And thanks to Drunknok for a great mini-challenge!

Congrats to the winners and good work all participants!

And kudos to Drunknok for hosting a Christmas challenge that gave some innovative entries!

A small update on the progress of the two main prices.

The build for Capt Wolf was finished way back in February already. Due to a variety of reasons I am not able to finish the one for Lord Buckethead in April though. We agreed to remove the "deadline" on my part in exchange for a larger build. I hope to have it done soon™ though. :pir-grin: