nico29200

Storage/display of sets assembled

Hello to all,

I need some advice, i've store my technic sets in box for a year, sealed black box so there is no dust or UV on the sets. But when i take one out last week the mechanism (gear slipping off and axle twisting) was a little bit weak. When i turn on the motor, it was making a strange noise, not the motor but the gearing and the beam a noise like it need some grease to work properly, i disconnect the motor and try manually but it was very hard to move the gear train. like there is to much friction but when i build my set I am very carefull with that.

What's your tip or advice to make the set work properly after a long time of storage or display without taking it apart an rebuilding it?

I got the problem on 42024 (mechanism for the LA) and the 8466 (differential to motor)

thank you guys

PS:I've search a topic about that but I didn't found one, @admin feel free to move the topic if necessary

just take it apart to the gearbox and make sure everything has some slack. this gearbox for me anyway is notoriously inefficient.

these 'toys' are not very rigid and will move over time (creep) as well as at different temperatures, but mostly changes in alignment of all the holes happens when you pick them up or play with them. It's just part of what happens when you have an item designed to press fit together and fall apart easily.

The solution is per what Isak said - pull enough apart  (or just make sure all the bits are still fully seated) or even just try twisting the frame a little to see if you can line everything up enough to run smoothly. If not, rebuild it.

I lubricate my GBCs after storing over the winter and before the start of the new event/show season.  Sometimes it helps.  If it doesn't, then it's disassemble, clean, replace wornout parts and reassemble. There is no easy way to get around maintenance of mechanical stuff except, paying someone else to do the work.  :classic:

As for any other car, also for Lego, staying still just makes it worse for that car. 

Most probably, under load, it own weight, some beams, axles etc. bends, and after that time of staying still, that bend remains permanent. Of course, bended axle doesn't turn so good anymore. Also all the geometry is not the same anymore. if there is also some lubricant in motors, it is also somewhere in one place, not all over mechanism anymore.