Bregir

[COR- King's Harbour Naval Base & Shipyard] Masting Sheer

From the onset, King's Harbour was established with the very purpose of establishing a base for the Royal Terra Novan Navy. Until now, this purpose has been well served by the natural harbour, a few batteries, and quays where ships can be resupplied from the rich resources of the island.

However, with Corlander naval presence increasing and following a number of skirmishes with pirates of different sorts, more organised naval facilities are required, and King's Harbour has started a process to expand its abilities to service larger vessels and more advanced repairs and refits.

38606910041_db682ef006_c.jpg

The first step in the build up is a masting sheer, a crane specifically designed to lift masts into larger ships. The lower masts of larger vessels have to be lowered vertically into the hull, as they cannot be raised by a simple process of pulleys and ropes.

While not able to lift great weights, the new masting sheer at the King's Harbour Naval Base can handle the masts of even the largest ships of the Brick Seas, and lifts high enough to be able to handle even topmasts and topgallants for smaller vessels.

37889360784_9d829d41f9_c.jpg

Quickly after its inauguration, the masting sheer had its first task, shifting the topmasts of the schooner Blazer, just in from Jameston on the Paradise Islands. Captain Norman Monroe is drilling his crew and preparing them for the heavy task of getting the guns back on board. He has been considering the option of mounting 18 pounders, but the original 4 pounders are easier to handle for the merchantman's limited crew.

37889360354_00d34f12a2_c.jpg

The inside of the masting sheer is empty, and the stone structure is only there to support the crane on the top. It only houses the pulleys and a set of stairs to allow maintenance of the top of the crane. The crane is operated by a large capstan normally manned by 4 sailors. In case of heavy lifting, up to 12 men can be stationed at the bars.

38549687206_b9d645dfbe_c.jpg

This build has been ready for some time, but I have simply been too busy posting it. While I am quite happy with the build, the pictures didn't come out as well as I wished for. I think the light settings on my camera has been off, as I did take the pics on a sunny day with plenty of light. As always, C&C is welcome.

This is largely inspired by the masting sheer on Holmen Naval Base in Copenhagen, and is the first part of what I expect to, over time, become a royal artisan for King's Harbour. I am not in a rush, though, so we will see how long time it takes!

Also, not that I here show the Blazer with all her sails furled - remember I promised that earlier? Well, now I actually did it! ;)

I really like that cut out version of the crane and ofc your fully rigged ships are always a delight!

6 minutes ago, Bregir said:

This build has been ready for some time...

I KNOW! Blame flickr for that! :tongue: 

Wow that cranehouse/masting sheer!  That crane is very impressive (no chance it actually works too? :grin:), and the ship is still excellent as well!

I quite like the photography here for the most part too - especially the bluish tint in the first picture, intentional or not! :thumbup:

I have liked this project ever since I saw the WIP. I still think I like it even better now with the little details of the minifigures going about their work and the ship also makes it look great. Is the build 64x64?

Like Silentwolf and BD I've admired this on flickr for a while now, good to see it finished and posted. I like the contrast the lime green building makes to the sheering tower. The sheer (pun intended! :pir-laugh:) size of the tower itself is impressive, but that crane design at the top is genius! Blazer looks as nice as ever, great to have her sailing in company with Lady Jacqueline for the last couple of MRCAs! 

Absolutely Gorgeous Build @Bregir. The Crane is a true thing of beauty. I am blown away by the scale of this build. Honestly, it's what I want to do with my builds, but am never able to. 

What are you licensing this as?

What a neat build! I also like the cutout so we can see the  inner workings.

That is... big. :pir-grin:

A neat scene, very clean and realistic. It looks like the crane is working? :thumbup:

3 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

Is the build 64x64?

By my count it is 64x80, so 5120 studs. Half the way to a royal property already.

Wow, very impressive, the crane is huge, with lots of nice details, I like how you've recreated the mechanism of the crane, the ship is very well built too.

Bregir, this is an excellent build. You did a great job capturing this overlooked yet indispensable machine from the age of sail. The crane's jib is impressive, especially with all those difficult angles. Great technique with the gentle waves in the water. 

The ground is a little lacking. It's a big space to fill, but something more such as broken cobblestones or an occasional weed pocking through in some obscure corner would be some good details to include. 

On 12/9/2017 at 1:32 AM, Drunknok said:

By my count it is 64x80, so 5120 studs. Half the way to a royal property already.

@Drunknok has a good point, this could be made a royal property with a few additions. That might be a good Christmas project for corrington...

Just now, Mesabi said:

@Drunknok has a good point, this could be made a royal property with a few additions. That might be a good Christmas project for corrington...

Read the OP again, that seems to be Bregirs intention already. :thumbup:

Wow it's a huge build ! And greatly executed ! Congrats !

the tower is really effective and the fact you can really move the crane is excellent !

And I also like the ship in front of the quay.

great job !

This sheer turned out beautifully, and you certainly captured the look of the real thing. The main structure may be pretty simple but the crane itself is a very impressive design. I like that cutaway interior for practical reasons: it saves bricks and provides a great view of the interior, while looking more interesting as well. And the mechanical elements are nice too. Somehow the green of the smaller building kinda clashes to me, and the ground could perhaps use a little more texture, and the crew looks a little bit modern, but the schooner and assortment of guns look great. Overall good work - and deceptively large at that! This is a realistic approach to building up that dockyard. :thumbup: