Reza

Do you still own your train 7730 since your childhood? Please read and help (Change of inventory for 12v train 7730)

Hi everybody,

I have been carefully watching all trains 7730 on sale in different countries since summer 2017. At the beginning, I realized that the 3 * yellow cones listed in the inventory in bricklink had axle hole:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=7730-1

The yellow cones 3943a:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3943a&idColor=3#T=C&C=3

This yellow cone 3943a appears in two sets. 3 used for the train 7730 and 2 used in 599-1.

But many trains had the other version 3943b with axle hole:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3943b&in=S

This version is used in two sets. One used in 4982-1 and 2 used in 6954-1.

Lego produced both versions since 1979. But there are some doubts on this. Sets in which 3943a appear are produced in 1979, 1980 and 1981 (msotly). This suggests that sometime about 1981-82, Lego replaces 3943a with 3943b. The train 7730 was produced from 1979-82. Then probably, some sets made in 1982 came with 3943b. 

About one third of the trains i have seen have the version 3943b. As the two versions are as rare as the other, I simply conclude that Lego released some of them with 3943b. It is not likely that so many private sellers lost all the three yellow cones 3943a and then bought or found the other version 3943b and replaced with them.

Thus, if you bought this train in your childhood and still have it, could you please comment which version are your yellow cones? If you still have the box, could you check if it is D/F/NL or UK/F/I version? It its also helpful if you tell from what country the train was bought. For learning about different versions of box, see:

If you could attach a photo of your train, box(the language part on the right side of the front box) and cone, it would be great and helpful. Also, a photo of the bottom of the motor, if you are sure that the red motor is not switched with another one. Reading the number on the bottom of the motor, we can see in what year it is produced. Here is mine where you can read 38 0 which means week 38 year 1980:

20171209_134802

This will help me to come up with more evidence to submit a change of inventory request.

Regards

Yellow cone 3943a.png

Yellow cone 3943b.png

Here I put some the trains on sale, now or before coming with cones 3943b:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202086086008?clk_rvr_id=1385696026058&rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-boite-Lego-TRAIN-7730-briques-neuves-jamais-jou%C3%A9/172901510590?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.it/itm/152813017599?ul_noapp=true

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lego-Eisenbahn-12V-12-Volt-Dampflok-G%C3%BCterzug-7730-mit-BA-OVP-komplett/263014487777?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Edited by Reza

Here's mine: D/F/NL with no axle hole. I am not the original owner of this set, but all parts are mint and period correct so I have high confidence these are original to the set. Always interested in seeing the inventories improved on these old sets!

38896472641_505aaec010_c.jpgIMG_20171207_105351769 by jet_flap, on Flickr

Thanks Jetflap! May I know from what country you bought this train?

I actually have the project of building all ideas in 7777. Good job :-)

My dad's 7730 (not from his childhood) also has cones without axle holes. I don't know if it's D/F/NL or UK/F/I. However I'm guessing this question is mainly just looking for people who's childhood sets have cones with axle holes.

Dear Edde,
Thanks for your answer. Actually it does help even if your train has cones without axle. Indeed, all trains I have seen in Belgium and Netherland come with 3943a (without axle) but some trains (about third let's say) in UK, Germany and France have the other version. Thus it helps to know from what country your dad bought the train.
Also, based on the video, there is a third version of the box: DK/S/SF

Here there are all my yellow cones. I have three complete or almost complete 7730. One bought from Belgium coming with 3943a, two from UK but only one came with 3943b.

20171208_034851

On 7.12.2017 at 3:24 AM, Reza said:

More importantly, a photo of the side of the box that shows in what year it was produced and also a photo of the languages of the box will be helpful.

I doubt that there are boxes which show another year than 1980. Regardless of the real production date, the year is always the initial release.

Some train boxes (eg. 7850 to 7855 and 7824) show with two different years, but in those cases, the boxes were changed in a visible way (other dimensions).

4 hours ago, Carrera124 said:

I doubt that there are boxes which show another year than 1980. Regardless of the real production date, the year is always the initial release.

Some train boxes (eg. 7850 to 7855 and 7824) show with two different years, but in those cases, the boxes were changed in a visible way (other dimensions).

Easiest way is to look at the motor, which have the production date on its underside.

I still have all my 12v stuff and 9v. One thing for sure is that their value increases with age, but wouldn't sell them, as they were part of my childhood and still use them from time-to time.

The original motor on my 7725 was worn, but bought an ebay one now it works once more...

39 minutes ago, Paulbricks said:

I still have all my 12v stuff and 9v. One thing for sure is that their value increases with age, but wouldn't sell them, as they were part of my childhood and still use them from time-to time.

The original motor on my 7725 was worn, but bought an ebay one now it works once more...

Dear Paul,

The question was not if you sell your collection, but rather if your train 7730 has the 3 yellow cones with axle (3943b) or without it (3943a). From what country did you buy it? (and what year if you remember). The year may be found underneath the red motor if you haven't switch it with another train such as 7750. (but if they both indicate the same year, that would be fine :-) )

I don't think the cones needed the technic axle. I live in UK, so they were bought here, from Woolworths I remember and Dean's Toy shop.I was best friends with their son Mark, whos dad owned the toy shop - advantage - Mark or his dad, Normal usually gave me a train set or loads of tracks from the shop, hence why I have so much.

Strange, the Lego thing never goes, I work at JCB, bulding diggers and earthmovers and like dabbling in lego - in fact following instructions are a bonus, as you can't afford to mess up at work, when the machine costs £130,000!

1 hour ago, Dav1d said:

Mine doesn't have the axle hole.

Thanks for your help. Do you remember what year you bought it? What is the number writen underneath the red motor? (if you haven't switch the motor since you bought it in 80s)

Interesting thread!

I bought three 7730 sets (only one currently built and running, other ones were used to build or complete other "red motor" sets). I never noticed the axlehole in the instructions...I will check this evening and tell you!