Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

Rimbaud Canal

After the discovery of a rich silver lore in Astrapi countryside, the House of Rimbaud decided to invest in mining activities on the island.

The lack of infrastructures, however, represented a huge obstacle, since building materials, equipment and supplies had to be transported on mules along a difficult path in the jungle; moreover, River of the True Faith flows near to the minerary area, but a series of rapids makes the area virtually unreachable by boat. 
To solve the problem and allow a faster development of the extractive activities, a small tributary of the River was diverted and  channeled in a system of locks: in this way a boat (with its valuable load) can litteraly climb the great difference in height, reaching the calm flow upstream.

38839653582_5fd9107c56_z.jpg

When a boat enters the lower basin, the rear lock is closed and the water level rises, reaching the level of the upper basin...

27093523439_4ca1af9cae_z.jpg

...the front lock is then opened, and the boat can move forward to the next couple of locks.

38869960751_3258b6dbfb_z.jpg

27093444189_090d41329e_z.jpg

A road was built along the river: even if it's too narrow for carts and wagons, it is useful for workhorses when the load (for example machinery or building materials) is too heavy for oars. 

37983289425_6729cbbd0f_m.jpg

Spoiler

Sorry for the small photo

Inns and livery stables were also built at a regular distance along the canal, allowing an efficent messanger service and providing a place to rest for travelers and for the men operating the locks.

38839667542_5b33b0dfc7_z.jpg

This ingenious infrastructure, allowing a fast flow of goods and news (even in the opposite direction, progressively lowering the water level), represents a vital artery connecting the (still unexisting, but be faithful :pir-grin:) minerary district with Astrapi urban area and will probably be crucial in further development of the island.

An overview of the building (two basins, the road, a tavern and a stable)

37983269175_960b402b71_z.jpg

A couple of soldiers checking a boatman's licence to use the locks 

38839680582_f4cf855470_z.jpg

The tavern

38869996921_6ecaed8e40_z.jpg

Another view of the tavern; the man on the right is a cartographer drawing Rimbaud Canal layout

24005131877_7ea8151cd8_z.jpg

A messanger changing his horse at the livery

24005137467_e293169c9e_z.jpg

A view of the locks; an hydrometer can be seen on the left.

24005156907_dbcdd26819_z.jpg

Another view of the locks

38839790092_74a662cfd9_z.jpg

Edited by Keymonus

I really like the way you made your canal and the locks! There are so many nice touches such as the way the railing goes up with the canal, the buildings are distinct and well done, you have a nice plant layout and a complete interior. Good job!

I love it! I think this is the first water lock we've seen in BoBS, and you've done a wonderful job. I love the details of the lock, and the buildings are well detailed inside and out. And as Dukesc mentions, you've got the appropriate slope from one end of the lock to the other. Good minifig posing too. :thumbup: all around!

Wow.  There is a lot of great stuff here.  You have some really nice roof designs, a great interior tap room, and of course the genius idea of portraying canal locks.  Nicely done!

A very nice and "full" MOC, coming for a really good idea :thumbup:

As always your focused photos are spot on! It's always nice that Astrapi is growing, as it is somehow our religious hub in BoBS.

Brilliant set of waterlocks, sir, and set in a very nice atmosphere. I like the way you have presented the build too, with all those nice angles and many different scenes included. It seems like a considerable infrastructure project, and os very well executed in brick, photography and story. Ticks all my boxes! :)

Excellent choice of subject and very well presented - I like pretty much everything about this MOC! The lock gates, canal railing and roof texture are all worth special mention, fantastic job!

Nice build! I like how you managed to recreate all the feature of a sluice, the tavern and the stable are very well built too.

A lot of great detail and a great presentation with coherent story, angles and many nice scenes! :thumbup: The like the exterior on the tavern a lot. The window side colomns/ornaments in particular, but the sign, lamp, curves and colors are also nice.

Edited by Sir Stig

This is an excellent build. The locks are well done, and you have a great attention to detail! Seriously, everything seems to be in place, and I really don't believe you overlooked any detail. Nicely done, sir, and I will eagerly await your next build. 

Thank you for your kind comments! Probably this is the most complex thing I’ve built up to now, in particular the road and the locks theirselves were quite challenging, but also very funny to build.

On 6/12/2017 at 8:48 PM, Kwatchi said:

Wow.  There is a lot of great stuff here.  You have some really nice roof designs, a great interior tap room, and of course the genius idea of portraying canal locks.  Nicely done!

On 7/12/2017 at 11:31 PM, Sir Stig said:

A lot of great detail and a great presentation with coherent story, angles and many nice scenes! :thumbup: The like the exterior on the tavern a lot. The window side colomns/ornaments in particular, but the sign, lamp, curves and colors are also nice.

Thank you! To be honest the buildings began as a side detail, just a facade along the street... only later I decided to actually build the tavern and the livery!

Boats and rafts will soon start carrying goods up and down the canal, now I only need a mine to have something to carry! :grin:

I do not know how I forgot to comment on this one. Shame on me!

What a fantastic MOC! The depiction of the canal and the watergate is very detailed and well done, I love it. The two houses are relatively simple, but work so well as a part of the scene - and they have great interiors too. The street is also excellently done with all the minifigs and little scenes between them.

A nice continuation of your "silver story", and I like how the cartographer shows up again in your next build. :thumbup:

I concur with Drunknok, can't believe I missed this. The build is absolutely fantastic. It really shows thought and effort into the idea of the build. I like all the interiors, and the detailing on the exterior. Great build, and keep it up!