Sign in to follow this  
Beck

[Question] narrow gauge wheel spacing

Hello everyone, I am currently working on a narrow gauge train for my winter village. I was wondering what the maximum spacing between two power functions wheels could be to be able to navigate the 2 stud wide curve? 

Thanks in advance, 

Beck

I used the power bogie design pioneered by @Space2310 for my 4-wide TRAXX loco, which has a 5 stud wheelbase. This seems to cope with the standard LEGO narrow gauge curves quite well, as the video on my Flickr feed shows. Whether or not the wheelbase could be successfully extended I couldn't say.

Well, as per the loco in my signature, I managed 8 studs (length to over each axle), and it didn't run to badly. It couldn't actually haul the train it's pictured with, but that's mainly due to the motor being in the loco and the Battery box/IR receiver in the wagon behind it. I've learnt now to a: have as many powered axles in your train as possible, even if it means fixed rakes, and b: keep the weight over the powered axles.

@mtrkustoms managed 12 studs for his PF cargo van (which is still incredible by the way!)

@ColletArrow this is correct (really 11 studs) but anyways runs well on custom curves mane with ols 12v rails, I dont know if it run well on 2wide lego curves, and if it has good grip (I have the help of the slotted rails)

Thank you both @Hod Carrier as well as @ColletArrow.

I already saw space's design and it looks fantastic; however am trying to build a Stadler Allegra ABe 8/12 in 6 wide so the bogie must be hidden behind plates on either side. I am worried that It would be too wide to pivot in a < 6 wide width. I scaled the train and the bogies would have to be placed 24 studs apart and the carriage length would be 35 studs. Yeesh! 

@mtrkustoms What do you mean by old 12v rails? I know that the old lego rails were seperate from the sleepers, but aren't they built for "standard gauge" (4 stud gauge)? I'd love to hear more.

13 hours ago, Beck said:

Thank you both @Hod Carrier as well as @ColletArrow.

I already saw space's design and it looks fantastic; however am trying to build a Stadler Allegra ABe 8/12 in 6 wide so the bogie must be hidden behind plates on either side. I am worried that It would be too wide to pivot in a < 6 wide width. I scaled the train and the bogies would have to be placed 24 studs apart and the carriage length would be 35 studs. Yeesh! 

@mtrkustoms What do you mean by old 12v rails? I know that the old lego rails were seperate from the sleepers, but aren't they built for "standard gauge" (4 stud gauge)? I'd love to hear more.

Look up the lego narrow gauge puffing billy here and on flickr. That's a 4 gauge railway using old 12V rails, you have to fudge spacing and use odd 1x2 panels, etc. to correct for off curvature of each rail.