Sign in to follow this  
Professor Thaum

[SR - FB 1 Dec 17] Il maestro

Carloni BENEDETTO studied with the most famous master glazier of Eslandola, before leaving for Tortuga, after a small (but deadly) trouble with the local governor (in fact with his daughter). On the road to a new life he met a banned doctor

they became friends, and both finally head to Tortuga, soon to be caugh up by Carloni's Brother, Camillo, leaving Eslandola too (a trouble with the governor's wife as it seems :innocent: )

Carloni and his brother decided to settle here and to go back to their art. And Carloni started to blow again :

6gfm.jpg

the molted glass is taken out of the oven

yqrd.jpg

and quickly but carefully blowed over a marble plate

vkpa.jpg

first chiseling

jivw.jpg

second blowing, more longer this time

wy0k.jpg

and the final chiseling

te7q.jpg

the final casting, in a marble bowl, now the piece is almost perfect

hp4v.jpg

and will wait on the top of the oven to finish the firing (note the sand supply next to the oven and the pigment on the shelf)

f6ex.jpg

if the firing must me more smooth, there's a smaller oven just beside, near the coal.

duhe.jpg

the finished pieces wait on the table near a crate of crap (everything is not always a success and Carloni will trash any piece which is not perfect)

hpl7.jpg

second oven and craps

The workshop

ngn7.jpg

will be licenced as a small artisan for Tortuga

Edited by Professor Thaum

Luvverly, shiny, awesome! Where to start?

This is without doubt the most faithful and detailed depiction in Lego of glassworks that I have ever seen. I am not an expert on the field, but do know quite a bit, and this is just done right.

The build itself is busy without looking chaotic. There are many things to look at - the oven, the finished pieces, the workbench, and of course the brilliantly done window - but everything still works togethr as one coherent scene. Very well done! The lightbrick adds a lot, without stealing the show. FInally: the plates on the ground are done well too, I love it.

If I could change one thing, it would be the walls: they are a bit bland and boring compared to the rest of the build. That is such a minor thing compared to the awesomeness that is the rest though...

Excellent MOC, more of this please!

Great artisan - like Drunknok mentioned, excellent reproduction of the glass blowing process, really well done! Great job!

10 hours ago, Drunknok said:

and of course the brilliantly done window -

8 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

I like  the window

Carloni would rather had a more elaborate stained-glass one, but he quicklly noticed that tha rats have a very own sense of humor resultiing with throwing anything throwable right into the first window they see. So after 3 to 4 incidents, he decided for another pattern.

Indeed, the Rats respect some strange code where the beer mug seems to be highlighted. Since that the window remain untouched...

Great rendition of a glass blower worship !

I really like the illustration of the process you've completed ! It is realistic and accurate. Good job !

Wondeful MOC! The floor tiles at an angle is a nice effect. But the detail that steals the scene is the lighted oven. That early pic with the glass in the oven is perfect. :thumbup:

The first and 2nd pictures are gorgeous.  You truly put a lot of thought into this and it shows.  The angled tile floor is a nice touch as well.

Edited by Kwatchi

On 04/12/2017 at 1:30 AM, Brickwolf said:

VERY BEAUTIFUL BUILD! I like the floor, the window and all the details.:thumbup:

On 04/12/2017 at 8:24 AM, Ayrlego said:

Great artisan - like Drunknok mentioned, excellent reproduction of the glass blowing process, really well done! Great job!

On 04/12/2017 at 3:49 PM, Faladrin said:

Great rendition of a glass blower worship !

I really like the illustration of the process you've completed ! It is realistic and accurate. Good job !

On 04/12/2017 at 5:08 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Wondeful MOC! The floor tiles at an angle is a nice effect. But the detail that steals the scene is the lighted oven. That early pic with the glass in the oven is perfect. :thumbup:

On 04/12/2017 at 9:10 PM, blackdeathgr said:

I love it! All those bottles, that stained glass and the light emanating from the furnace...! Great job!

On 04/12/2017 at 10:07 PM, Kwatchi said:

The first and 2nd pictures are gorgeous.  You truly put a lot of thought into this and it shows.  The angled tile floor is a nice touch as well.

Thanks all, that was no light brick but a single round brick 1 x 1 trans-red in the opposite of the oven opening with my daughter lighting it with a small flashlight :grin:

I'm just a little bit dashed for I'm not the first to come with a glass blowing built.

I'd tried to have the best render as possible, but I'm not happy with the walls as already said... I will look for a proper technic for the next time !

Great depiction of the process, the tools, and the finished products. As others have said, particularly the picture with the light is very nice.

With the amount of details you have all around, I don't think you need worry too much about the walls. Sometimes, a wall is just a wall, after all, and glass blowing is a dirty process, so you wouldn't want stucco or paneled walls anyway... ;)