WinterMetarot

Please help me decide price point for lego 10228 Haunted House

Hi, 

Im new to this website, so apologies in advance if I did something incorrectly or post in the wrong forum.

I have been looking for lego 10228 Haunted house for awhile now but it seems like the price is increasing relentlessly without a doubt. And I think its time for me to make a move before it  is off my budget limit. Please could any of you help me decide if 300GBP for this BNISB set as worth it? I have been thinking about this for sometime now, and I do not want miss a chance to grab it just like when the set was suddenly retired a few years ago :sick:

Thanks for your help :oh:

Edited by WinterMetarot

I don't know conversion rate between GPB and USD, but I have seen this set on eBay for $300 to $400 USD.

If you want it, and can afford it, get it as the price is only going to go up.

Just make sure it is genuine LEGO! I noticed one on eBay that was not!

Good luck,

Andy D

Just now, Andy D said:

I don't know conversion rate between GPB and USD, but I have seen this set on eBay for $300 to $400 USD.

If you want it, and can afford it, get it as the price is only going to go up.

Just make sure it is genuine LEGO! I noticed one on eBay that was not!

Good luck,

Andy D

Thanks for replying lol:grin:. I think I'll get it soon.

I think the US eBay price fluctuates while increasing over time? Whereas in the UK, its just stably increasing over time. I had a second thought, that this set is very unlikely it will get re release? because its from a theme thats already been gone for awhile now.:hmpf:

:hmpf_bad:Now I just hope that they don't revamp the set so soon because a similar set is going to come up in the future for sure. 

4 hours ago, WinterMetarot said:

Now I just hope that they don't revamp the set so soon because a similar set is going to come up in the future for sure. 

That. Is always a gamble with LEGO. Some popular sets get a rerelease, some don't. In the past I have seen this happen to the 8258 Crane Truck and more recently the Taj Mahal.

Good luck!

Andy D

You have to decide what price you are willing to pay for it. £300 is a bad price compared to RRP, but reasonable now. Only you know what you are prepared to pay for it. Would you be willing to miss out completely, and spend that £300 on something else instead? Only you know that.

I tend to agree with @MAB on this one, as far as opportunity cost: is there some other set that £300 could go toward that would be more worth it?

In my mind, yes; there are many big-ticket sets available now that are amazing and have a good value (of course the modulars, some TLBM sets and a bunch of TLNM sets, for example) for which I would be more willing to part with my money rather than a marked-up set.

Also, I fully expect that TLG will revisit the HH someday. Maybe not an exact copy like with the Taj Mahal, but something similar; the concept of a haunted house is too popular (for buyers and probably for designers, too!) to think TLG would never make another large HH set again. I have no inside information here, just a hunch. Maybe it won't happen soon, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

Only you can know. Don't be in such a hurry to buy that you overpay. Also, ask yourself how important BNIB actually is to you--would you be okay with used if the savings were significant? Those questions can help you determine what the real value to you is.

3 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

Also, I fully expect that TLG will revisit the HH someday. Maybe not an exact copy like with the Taj Mahal, but something similar; the concept of a haunted house is too popular (for buyers and probably for designers, too!) to think TLG would never make another large HH set again. I have no inside information here, just a hunch. Maybe it won't happen soon, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

Arguably they have already re-visited the Haunted House sub theme with the Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion. I agree they'll come back to it again and again though - it's such an obvious genre to wheel out every few years.

Whether we get something of the size and complexity of HH again though is a different question. For me it's iconic and I think £300 is worth paying.

It all depends on what else the OP has on his/her wanted list though (and whether they want to take a chance something else as good will come along in the future)