Okay. I finished my mech projects and now i'm starting to tackle a bigger project i had in mind.. 
It's basically a big battleship with legs. 

I haven't yet decided if it'll have 4 or 6 legs. But the legs will be really bulky and durable to hold enough weight. 
I'm planning on gearing the legs so i can run the whole thing with one XL motor. 

The walker will be 30-40cm long, 15-20 cm wide and 15-20cm tall. 
So it's going to be a big lumbering support platform that walks. 

The front will have a massive hatch that opens to reveal a big gun that'll pull out. (I might make it so it fires studs or something..)
The top part will have multiple rocket launchers or gun turrets that will use the smaller turn table for aiming.. 

Basically everything will be manually operated except the legs. 

Now this is where i need some help. 

I'm first going to make a barebone chassis that'll have the leg mechanism. 
The legs will be geared and attached so it'll end up with one axle that'll be connected into the XL motor. 

What kind of leg mechanism should i go with? How do i make it so it can walk straight and hold enough weight for a walker this size? 
The legs should be 3 or 5 studs wide and 10 cm tall. 

EDIT:

I wonder if i can make something like this with these 5x7 frames. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

The klann linkage seems to have more up/down movement compared to jansen, which could lead to excessive power demand. Jansen linkage + lots of legs gives the best stability.

Another, more complicated option would be a mechanism where only one leg moves at a given time and the walker stands on the remaining ones. like Star Wars AT-AT (from 0:20):

Edited by Davidz90

AT-AT Has a very sophisticated walking mechanism. I'm thinking about more of a spider tank for what i'm building.. 
I've made two non functional mechs with lots of features.. Now i'm really going for the technic motorized thing. 
I want to make a 8 legged (4 leg pairs) strandbeest style walking weapons platform.. 

I'm currently struggling with the leg linkage. 
What i built tends to stuff up the linkages and lock the leg in place. 
I'm still looking for a good mechanism that works.. 
Maybe i should give the jensen linkage a whack. 

While this mechanism is very compact and works nicely, it still stresses the parts a lot.. And if you add lots of weight to it, (BB and large motor) I bet some parts will bend and wear fast..
Does anybody know if these type of legs can actually support weight?