Yes it is 3-4-5 triangle. I make stepped files in stud.io, it is very good programm but it is still in developement and some recent updates were disaster in terms of technic building. The advantage is that you can set view angles in it and you don't have to do that in LPub (PDF generator) so it is much quicker and intuitive.

22 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

I give up, I cannot find an easy solution to cable problem without remaking 20% of the stepped file, I will put a note into instructions about that... I have also made change to rear motor mount, with original there was too much stress on parts which resulted in too much friction. I have replaced the perpendicular 4x2 connector with 4x2 liftarm. It resulted in increased ange, longer lever to blade tilting (3L vs 5L) and longer axle that moves the rotor (8L vs 10L). The reduction in friction is very big. See image here:

I have also added small panels into nose to make it more closed, your opinion about that?

And here are panels at the back:

I would like to finish the PDF during next two evenings so I can move to another project.

Hello,

It happened a lot of things here. Just coming back from work travel and wow...

So, for the tail rotor, if there isn't a conflict with the rear vertical wing it's ok form me.

I am dubitative with the font panel in the nose, as my flex suggest a transparent element, but why not. As you realize the instructions and therefor pass a lot of time I friendly accept your Mod :)

As final speech, I had to say that even if instructions aren't 100% perfect it gives a good base for peoples who want to build it. Having instructions made by a community work doesn't mean IMO  that it dispense of thinking and reflexion during building...

The most interesting part is still the rotors controls and rotor head on this Moc....

Looking at the vid of Jonhatan I realize that there is one main issue with the swashplate. My swashplate elements have been used for about 20 years building lots of helicopters and in it's current state is absolutely used so that it swip along it's axle.

But the original part has a lot of friction in it's conception. I think this element needs a note in the instructions too.

As an easy (but not acceptable for purist) solution, it would be useful to modify the axle and tweek it a little...

I tested one method, as I own two of the swashplate element and since one is in it's original state. I took one 10L axle witch is a very common part and with a blade i planed a little the inner side of the cross axle. Removing just a little material of only one side of each of the 4 branch of the cross axle is enough to remove the friction and gain a lot of playability. the outer faces of the cross axle can be keeped intact This method preserve the rare and expensive swashplate element.

Steph.

IT IS DONE :cry_happy: 161 pages,

You can download it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s0sSqyjJu3UAokQs4b0YXNb6YgA6u6uV/view?usp=sharing

It is more challenging build than TLG sets, it is sometimes difficult to see some parts or connecting points, the flex axles are not the best and there is no cable routing, but I think most user will be fine without it. I think it would be shame to leave it only here, it would be soon forgotten. I can put it to my rebrickable or you can create your own account, there is no really difference, it is up to you Steph.

What can i say?

It's just perfect job you have done, Ivan. A great an respectuous thanks for your time.

I really like the way you produce these instructions. In a sense it makes me feel like 20 years back when TLC produce themself challenging instructions. Remember the cart chassis who had less than 20 steps.

You can obiously post in on your own rebrickable acount. Once you have a link, i'll add it to my YT description.

I hope now that people will enjoy building it.

Steph.

Thank you, the entry is on: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-12600/Ivan_M/aw-169-helicopter/#comments

I have already found mistake in instructions, on page 17, step 2, there is one extra 12t bewel gear, on page 18 step 13 the 12t bewel gear have to be replaced with 12t half bewel gear and bush. I have fiddled with this too much and I have probably corrected it in different file other then the one I was using for instructions generation. I will try to correct it.

It is replaced with correct pages. Download link is still the same. Use rebricable for parts list, the one is PDF is not updated as it was causing some errors I'm not wiling to fight with.

Edited by Ivan_M

Hi Steph,

First of all I like to say: “Great, elegant and functional model! Thumbs up!”. It's great to see that you incorporated the complete controls (cyclic/collective). Second, what a coincidence! Today I googled myself and found that you posted my Aerospatiale Alouette II helicopter on the French Techlug.fr site back in 2012. Thank you for the kind words. I googled you name and ended up here! Just to let you know…. After a ‘dark’ period I picked up the Alouette project again and currently working hard on creating instructions. After that’s finished I will definitely try your version. My next project will be a MOC of a Chinook at roughly the same scale with working controls.

Is great to see that there are still MOC-ers that doing other stuff like supercars and cranes. :)

Special thanks to Ivan for creating the instructions! :)

Edited by Gambitt167

hello,

Thanks for comment and I hope you will enjoy your built with my model. It's true that @Ivan_M does a great job!

And, BTW welcome to EB!

As you are a member now, I think your Allouette II needs absolutely her own topic.

I am very curious and interested in how you managed all the controls, especially in the lower part of the main mast :)

@+

On 9-2-2018 at 7:00 PM, steph77 said:

hello,

Thanks for comment and I hope you will enjoy your built with my model. It's true that @Ivan_M does a great job!

And, BTW welcome to EB!

As you are a member now, I think your Allouette II needs absolutely her own topic.

I am very curious and interested in how you managed all the controls, especially in the lower part of the main mast :)

@+

As soon as the instructions are done I will definitely post it here. And with some detailed pics of course. Teaser: controls are hidden inside the fuel tank! :)

What an amazing model! It's too bad LEGO doesn't produce those unique helicopter parts anymore... Hopefully they'll reintroduce them at some point. :)

Just discovered this great copter. Very impressive MOC! And very well made instructions. Thanks to you both @steph77 and @Ivan_M. Hope I'll find most of the needed parts in my collection.

Thanks all for kind comments.

As you may now, I just never stop working on a project.I hesitate to continue posting about it since the topic was passed for a while, but as you pop it up here is the actual state of the art work on it.

Take 08 : stickers time

I know some of you (and I do also) may be purist in terms of design and consider this mean as a way to make design easier. I don't. But I try to input a more realistic touch in this model, so, what do you think guys of this:

kFzuoD.jpg

in more details:

cdp8W2.jpg

v6iLei.jpg

z7za5p.jpg

9g8Ef7.jpg

lsE1W3.jpg

zKEmRK.jpg

Steph

Edited by steph77
spelling + more pictures

2 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

These decals look great...did you print them yourself or bought online?

These decals are from a Revel scale model of a seaking helicopter.

I have built this model, it is wonderfull!

I would like to thank steph77 and and Ivan Moc for the work on the model and instructions.

I built this model as a way to show my kids how a helicopter works. Therefore I modified it a little. I have removed some elements so the motor can be quite easilly removed - when showing functions, I needed to change position of rotor there and back again, slowly, and with motor this was hard to do. I have also made top plates covering the mechanism more easily removable. I had a piece Technic Ball with Grooves (2907) that was too tight and was hardly moving on the axis, therefore the collective control was too hard. I was forced to file it a little to make movement easy.

Ivan Moc: could you please upload digitial model, that was used for instructions, to the rebrickable? Thanks.

22 hours ago, Kaero said:

I have built this model, it is wonderfull!

I would like to thank steph77 and and Ivan Moc for the work on the model and instructions.

I built this model as a way to show my kids how a helicopter works. Therefore I modified it a little. I have removed some elements so the motor can be quite easilly removed - when showing functions, I needed to change position of rotor there and back again, slowly, and with motor this was hard to do. I have also made top plates covering the mechanism more easily removable. I had a piece Technic Ball with Grooves (2907) that was too tight and was hardly moving on the axis, therefore the collective control was too hard. I was forced to file it a little to make movement easy.

Ivan Moc: could you please upload digitial model, that was used for instructions, to the rebrickable? Thanks.

Thanks!

Maybe you could post some pictures of your mods. Seems to be a good ideas and i am curious to see if i could pick up some of them ;)

Hallo Steph,

the original AW 169 has 5 mainrotorblades and the backrotor is on starside, not on portside. What is the reason of your version?

Greetings

Udo

7552442138_d831bbde47_b.jpg

14 minutes ago, opaudo said:

Hallo Steph,

the original AW 169 has 5 mainrotorblades and the backrotor is on starside, not on portside. What is the reason of your version?

Greetings

Udo

Hello,

For the 5 blades rotor, it was just impossible to built it on the time it was designed. With the new parts available today it should be a great update. Unfortunately, the model is dimanteled actualy and i am already working on anather 5 blade helicopter. (and it is not TLG H175 :wink:)

For the tail rotor's position, the choice came out with the general setup of the flight commands. If you look at the instructions, you'll understand how tricky it was to fit the functionalities inside of it.

At one moment, i had to reverse the main rotor orientation (in order to get the collective controls in a logic setup). As it runs counterside of the real one, i prefer to pursuit the logic of my own built and locate the tail rotor on the logic side. This is the reason.

S.

Hallo, 

thankyou for the fast answer. I think, your Helikopter is awsome, I am going to collect the pieces and want to build it next time.

Greetings

Udo