On 12/12/2017 at 11:22 PM, nine09nueve said:

Ah yes - tbh I didn't look as closely to the wheel as I needed to... hmmm that is something to think about (will get back to you when I have a breakthrough - either mentally or with a drill bit through a small round tile!)

There's no rush, the wheel works perfectly fine as it is - it's just a little unsightly on one side! :sceptic:

There are actually a couple of builds that I think I'll modify. For the log from Day 2 I'll insert this part in the middle to make it "break away"more cleanly:
18674.png

And for the toy boat on Day 4 I'll replace the 2x3 plate with a 2x3 tile, and probably make a sticker of a billowed sail in that archetypal Viking stripe:
who-were-the-vikings-life-and-legend-exh

(which I made before the new beehive element was unveiled!)

Wait, what? New beehive element?

53 minutes ago, Karalora said:

Wait, what? New beehive element?

That's right, new beehive element!

37658529665_89c39373ce.jpg

Coming in some of the City mountain police sets in 2018. It even fits on a minifig's head for comedic results:

37658529795_fd021e4234.jpg

4 hours ago, Karalora said:

OH MY HEART :wub:

Welp, I know what's going straight onto my Bricklink wishlist!

It's cool, isn't it?! I'm also looking forward to the black bear, I missed out on the dark brown one last time...

Day 15 is up.

So loved the cheese table... it REALLY looks like cheese on a table... not sure why vikings can't use plates though... just saying!

10 hours ago, dgherko said:

Day 17 custom print looks like it came from the lego factory so well made

Kudos on this charactor

Wow, thanks! :grin:
I can't even tell you how much I wish I owned one of those printers!

3 hours ago, nine09nueve said:

So loved the cheese table... it REALLY looks like cheese on a table... not sure why vikings can't use plates though... just saying!

LOL plates aren't butch enough perhaps?! :tongue:
Well really they used wooden plates, but sadly Lego haven't yet made the plate/dish element in a woodsy colour! Oh, if the plate and classic mug elements came in tan... just imagine how many inns, taverns, meadhalls and banquet tables across the world would be filled with minifigs enjoying food and drink from all those wooden trenchers and tankards! :laugh:

In the meantime... the cheese just goes directly on the table! :wink:

By the hammer of Thor, day 18 is now up!

On 08/12/2017 at 11:06 AM, dgherko said:

You are some sort of nordic wizard

Day 20 is up, and there's your nordic wizard! :grin:

I was biting my tongue all this time!!

Again an excellent model.  You took a dark brown hand and added it to the finished pole piece that is in many lego sets in modern themes and transformed the piece into a wizard's walking stick worthy not just of gandolf but of the great merlin himself 

Great job if lego itself does not consider these designs for the first fan made advent calendar then they are not as smart as i think they are

WELL DONE

23 hours ago, dgherko said:

Again an excellent model.  You took a dark brown hand and added it to the finished pole piece that is in many lego sets in modern themes and transformed the piece into a wizard's walking stick worthy not just of gandolf but of the great merlin himself 

Great job if lego itself does not consider these designs for the first fan made advent calendar then they are not as smart as i think they are

WELL DONE

Thanks again! It's really an improper part usage from TLG's perspective (because they don't treat the hand as an individual element), but I felt the staff just looked a little too plain without something suggesting branches. I had originally based the look on this picture I once found of this kinda crazy-looking pagan wizard, I just found the photo so evocative - this is a character I want to see in a movie/book/TV show!
I couldn't figure out a way to make a goat horn on the end of his staff, so I went with the branch look.

13ddcb1bb0b05d66a7bb39a364e0e35c--wiccan

20 hours ago, Karalora said:

I would also give the sage a couple runestaves, i.e. 1x1 round tiles with runes on them!

Oh, that's a fantastic idea! 1x1 round tiles like cross-sectioned slices of a branch with runic symbols carved/burnt into them! I'll have to work on that...

I'm surprised I haven't stumbled across this until now. Excellent work! A few of the builds are a little simple but I would totally buy this set if it were produced.

Edited by BrickJagger

On 12/21/2017 at 12:09 PM, BrickJagger said:

I'm surprised I haven't stumbled across this until now. Excellent work! A few of the builds are a little simple but I would totally buy this set if it were produced.

Thank you, I'd buy it too! :grin:
Yes some of the builds are very simple, mainly because I was trying to emulate the way TLG makes their Advent Calendars. There always seems to be a few simple builds to keep the overall parts count down. I think the haystack is my simplest build. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, but case in point my daughter opened her Friends calendar today and it contained nothing but a single pony. A few days ago it was just a single dog! It surprised me that even though they're complex elements to mould (and have personalities that kids will imbue them with) there was no assembly of any parts at all on those days at all.

12 hours ago, nine09nueve said:

I'm guessing they also worship the frozen cheese of the sacred grove too yeah? :p

Why not?! That must be some mighty good cheese! :laugh:

Almost finished, Day 22 is up!

9 minutes ago, ED-209 said:

Almost finished, Day 22 is up!

This can't be! I demand you immediately start posting the advent calendar for next year, starting right after this year's christmas eve! :laugh: :wink:

Seriously, I enjoyed your pictures hugely! :classic: :thumbup:

That is a very lovely throne design - I am so stealing it... BUT you are missing a hole in the bottom of it aren't you??

*edit: Oh... sitting!

On 12/22/2017 at 2:47 PM, Littleworlds said:

This can't be! I demand you immediately start posting the advent calendar for next year, starting right after this year's christmas eve! :laugh: :wink:

Seriously, I enjoyed your pictures hugely! :classic: :thumbup:

I propose an elaborate system of 12 Advent Calendars a year, one per month!  :wink:

3 hours ago, nine09nueve said:

That is a very lovely throne design - I am so stealing it... BUT you are missing a hole in the bottom of it aren't you??

*edit: Oh... sitting!

Language! It's not that type of "throne"! :tongue:
(It was actually a Simpsons quote, in case you didn't spot it!)

By all means use the design, is it clear enough for you to reverse-engineer or would you like some brief instructions?

Well, we're all done now! Thank you all for coming along on this little journey with me, I've had a lot of fun! :laugh:
Day 24 is up, it's Christmas Day tomorrow, best wishes to everyone!

Me: Told you it wasn't going to be Odin. Pay up!

Also me: Fine, fine. Smarty-pants.

:wink:

I suppose I should explain why I expected Odin for Day 24. The existing Advent Calendars nearly always have a Santa Claus or similar figure for Day 24, and Odin is one of the many legendary figures to contribute attributes to Santa as we know him. Elves, magical flight, and dwelling in the frozen North make no sense for a Turkish bishop, but they fit right in if you're talking about a Norse god with a flying horse (eight legs = eight reindeer?).

Either way, many thanks to ED-209 for showing this collection!

Edited by Karalora

Don't feel slightest a bit for not having a santa figure we got a Jarl and he was regal enough.

Job well done.  Simple designs but elegant in execution.  Not too many figures that this could not actually be a Lego Advent Calendar.

One request is a group shot of all the designs together, but take a few days and enjoy Christmas first.

On 12/24/2017 at 2:41 PM, Karalora said:

I suppose I should explain why I expected Odin for Day 24. The existing Advent Calendars nearly always have a Santa Claus or similar figure for Day 24, and Odin is one of the many legendary figures to contribute attributes to Santa as we know him. Elves, magical flight, and dwelling in the frozen North make no sense for a Turkish bishop, but they fit right in if you're talking about a Norse god with a flying horse (eight legs = eight reindeer?).

Either way, many thanks to ED-209 for showing this collection!

Oh it made complete sense to me when you mentioned it. I was going for a non-mythological theme, but I was tempted to bend my rules and make day 24 Odin when you brought up the idea! And don't forget old white-bearded Odin going on "the Wild Hunt" around Jul-time, the imagery of the clattering hooves across the winter sky... and even the idea of children leaving out a boot filled with straw for Odin's horse Sleipnir, in exchange for which Odin would leave a small gift as a token of thanks. It all sounds very familiar!
I think I was in my early teens when I finally learnt about all the pre-Christian Pagan roots of Christmas, and it blew my mind! And don't get me started on the Pagan fertility festival that became Easter! :laugh:
You're most welcome, I'm glad everyone enjoyed it!

On 12/26/2017 at 1:35 AM, dgherko said:

Don't feel slightest a bit for not having a santa figure we got a Jarl and he was regal enough.

Job well done.  Simple designs but elegant in execution.  Not too many figures that this could not actually be a Lego Advent Calendar.

One request is a group shot of all the designs together, but take a few days and enjoy Christmas first.

Thanks, I did try to balance out the minifigs in the same ratio as TLG's official Advent Calendars.
Hey that's a great idea!

all_builds_by_edward_the_red-dby7ed4.jpg

And one just of the figs themselves, something of a final bow. :grin:
all_minifigs_by_edward_the_red-dby7edd.j

Edited by ED-209

That photo should be in next fall sales catalog... I am just saying

Edited by dgherko