I've been offline for ages, and thought what better way to break my hiatus than with 24 consecutive days of posting?!

And it's December 1st! Well, at least here in Australia it is. My kids have got their official Lego Advent Calendars, but what's a castle fan to do? Since there's been no castle theme for years I decided to make my own Advent Calendar. And because I'm such a shameless Viking enthusiast, it's going to be a Viking one! Now much like the 2008 "Castle" and 2010 "Kingdoms" Advent Calendars (sets 7979 and 7952), mine isn't terribly Christmassy. They were really just an excuse to get a bunch of minifigs and minibuilds, and that's perfectly fine with me! Mine will just fit in with the ongoing efforts towards my Viking Village display.

So without further ado, let's kick things off with:

DAY 1 - Berserker

Perhaps a bit of an angry start to the season, or maybe he's just stressed about spending the holidays with the in-laws?

day_1___berserker_by_edward_the_red-dbve

DAY 2 - Woodchopping

Ah, now the Berserker has something to do with his axes!

day_2___woodchopping_by_edward_the_red-d

*CHOP CHOP*

day_2___woodchopping_chop_chop__by_edwar

DAY 3 - Farm boy

This young lad has the eggcellent job of collecting eggs! Ah, I crack myself up... no more silly yolks please...

day_3___farmboy_by_edward_the_red-dbvloc

Day 4 - Toy boat

When he's not working on the farm, the young lad enjoys playing with his toy boat.

day_4___toy_boat_by_edward_the_red-dbvpr

Day 5 - Old woodcarver

An old villager carves wooden figures - maybe statues of the Norse gods?

day_5___whittler_by_edward_the_red-dbvqx

Day 6 - Campfire

A simple build technique that's been done before, but now our hungry woodcarver can cook himself up a tasty meal!

day_6___campfire_by_edward_the_red-dbvwi

Day 7 - Blacksmith

I think it's fair to say that no Lego Castle line is complete without a blacksmith!

day_7___blacksmith_by_edward_the_red-dbv

Day 8 - Anvil and grindstone

Because the smith needs somewhere to work his elemental magic, doesn't he?

day_8___anvil_and_grindstone_by_edward_t

Day 9 - Maiden

Some traditional Scandinavian hospitality as this young maiden welcomes visitors to the village with some delicious freshly baked bread!

day_9___maiden_by_edward_the_red-dbw5oht

Day 10 - Barrel o' mead

The hospitality doesn't stop at bread! Skål!

day_10___keg_by_edward_the_red-dbwa9cp.j

Day 11 - Pig farmer

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig!

day_11___pig_farmer_by_edward_the_red-db

Day 12 - Haystack

A very, very simple build today - just three bricks! But you can stick the underside of a brick onto the end of the pitchfork. So at least it gives yesterday's farmer something to do besides chase that pig around all day! :laugh:

day_12___haystack_by_edward_the_red-dbwf

Day 13 - Apiary

Hooray, more work for the farmer to do! A couple of beehives (which I made before the new beehive element was unveiled!)

day_13___beehives_by_edward_the_red-dbwm

Day 14 - Huscarl

Personal retainer and bodyguard to the Jarl, he takes his work very seriously.

day_14___huscarl_by_edward_the_red-dbwma

Day 15 - Banner stand

Only five parts in this simple build, but I think it looks pretty cute. Plus it gives the huscarl something to stand next to so he can feel important! :tongue:

day_15___banner_by_edward_the_red-dbwpkz

Day 16 - Cheese table

More hospitality and winter feasting with a table full of interesting chesses.

day_16___table_by_edward_the_red-dbwu6dp

Day 17 - Noblewoman

One of my custom prints, the noblewoman carries the household keys on her belt. Her cat makes sure the cheese table remains rat-free!

day_17___noblewoman_by_edward_the_red-db

Day 18 - Runestone

A stone raised as a marker, inscribed with pictures and runes telling of great deeds and the like. If this were a real official Lego set, I'd like to see the surfaces of sloped bricks printed with the inscription!

day_18___runestone_by_edward_the_red-dbx

Day 19 - Sacred tree

A bit small to be a mighty oak tree, but nevertheless it's part of a sacred grove in the forest outside our viking village. Some wild herbs and a mushroom grow in its shade.

day_19___tree_by_edward_the_red-dbx5le5.

Day 20 - Sage

And who worships in the sacred grove? Who collects the wild medicinal herbs? The village sage does!

day_20___sage_by_edward_the_red-dbx7dc9.

Day 21 - Jarl's weapon rack

It's a rack. For weapons. Belonging to the Jarl.

day_21___weapon_rack_by_edward_the_red-d

Day 22 - Jarl's armour rack

It's another rack. For... oh you can figure it out! :tongue:

day_22___armour_rack_by_edward_the_red-d

Day 23 - Jarl's throne

Sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn’t enjoy a good sit?

day_23___jarl_s_throne_by_edward_the_red

Day 24 - The Jarl

Who didn't see this coming after the past few days?! :laugh:
A good jarl would rule not by force, but with the support of his followers. He is a strong leader, an inspirational speaker, and a fierce warrior; generous with his food, drink, and coin.

day_24___jarl_by_edward_the_red-dbxm1tq.

Edited by ED-209

Finally a reason to open the internet browser for the next 24 days huzzah

Edited by dgherko

Fun idea! Vikings are always great. By Odin, I'm looking forward how the other 23 will be like! :classic:

Yes! Vikings are always great! :grin:

Thanks for the kind words both of you, I'm looking forward to drawing this out over the next few weeks! :tongue:

I'll add each new day to the original post... Day 2 is now online!

This going to be fun to watch.

The theme or sub-theme was nicely done.  Five factions red, blue, blue, chains crossed and axe over shirt were well done. Alog fortress and a very well made longboat.  The cmf line brought in another viking, a female, a hun, a hughlander, a female warrior tribe and several barbarian types looking like Conan from the comics.

All we need is something to raid

As I'll tell anyone who'll listen, it was the Viking sets that brought me out of my Dark Ages. The sets are a bit dated now though, I really wish they'd do a new Viking line! With some civilian figs in addition to all the warriors. And a longhouse! But then, that's the beauty of Lego - I just make these things myself anyway! :grin:

Day 3 is now online! (Speaking of civilian figs...)

Thanks KristofBD! And thanks again Littleworlds! I tried to represent a few different elements of village life. As one of the gripes we AFOLs have with TLG's castle stuff is how over represented soldiers and knights are. I know, I know, conflicts are what the kids like to play out! But nevertheless, I always wanted merchants and tailors and craftsmen and stuff when I was a kid, as well as soldiers and knights! :laugh:  

Anyway... Day 5 is now up! :classic:

Great theme! I have watched "Vikings" a lot recently and thought that  there should be more LEGO about vikings. Brick on Ed-209.

Simple, small yet so beautiful! My favoured figure (to date, of course!) is defenitely the woodcarver :wub: 

A little detail I'm no fan of is the combinantion of tan pants and a yellow torso for the Day 1 Figure...

On 12/5/2017 at 8:27 PM, Wardancer said:

Great theme! I have watched "Vikings" a lot recently and thought that  there should be more LEGO about vikings. Brick on Ed-209.

Thanks! I think you're right - if I were a Danish toy company, I'd be making Viking toys all the time! :-P

21 hours ago, nine09nueve said:

This is ALL kinds of awesomesauce! Can't wait to see more and more... plus my 8yo loves them too! Win win

My 4yo loves them too! (Although he loves his Lego City calendar as well!) And my 2yo ran off with with the little chicken from day 3! :laugh:

20 hours ago, lego tripper said:

I don't recognize that torso with the blue body paint.

Which fig is that from?

That's because it's a custom sticker I made! :wink:

16 hours ago, TitusV said:

Simple, small yet so beautiful! My favoured figure (to date, of course!) is defenitely the woodcarver :wub: 

A little detail I'm no fan of is the combinantion of tan pants and a yellow torso for the Day 1 Figure...

Thank you, the woodcarver is wearing one of my standard Norse tunic printed torsos. I had them printed in several colours and have gotten a lot of mileage out of them!

What's troubling you about the tan pants? Is it the "squint and he looks like he might be wearing underpants" thing? :laugh:
I originally had him in unprinted pants, but it just looked too plain. My preference would actually be dark tan, if I had something that had a suitable belt and pouch printed on it.

And by Frey's golden boar, Day 7 is now online!

1 hour ago, ED-209 said:

Thank you, the woodcarver is wearing one of my standard Norse tunic printed torsos. I had them printed in several colours and have gotten a lot of mileage out of them!

What's troubling you about the tan pants? Is it the "squint and he looks like he might be wearing underpants" thing? :laugh:
I originally had him in unprinted pants, but it just looked too plain. My preference would actually be dark tan, if I had something that had a suitable belt and pouch printed on it.

And by Frey's golden boar, Day 7 is now online!

Hmm, normally my purist soul is no big fan of custom items, but I have to admit I like the torso.

There seems not enough difference between the yellow and the tan. IMHO, it's like his legs just got a differently coloured skin :wink: Dark tan would indeed have been better, and I think dark brown wouldn't be bad either!

Don't want to comment everyday but kudos to you for making your blacksmith interesting.  The most over used civilian minifig inthe castle world and managed to give him a tool we have not seen put together in a set.

You are some sort of nordic wizard

22 hours ago, TitusV said:

Hmm, normally my purist soul is no big fan of custom items, but I have to admit I like the torso.

There seems not enough difference between the yellow and the tan. IMHO, it's like his legs just got a differently coloured skin :wink: Dark tan would indeed have been better, and I think dark brown wouldn't be bad either!

So it is the underpants look. Got it. :wink:

11 hours ago, dgherko said:

Don't want to comment everyday but kudos to you for making your blacksmith interesting.  The most over used civilian minifig inthe castle world and managed to give him a tool we have not seen put together in a set.

I AM THE NORDIC WIZARD!! LOL I love that, I feel like I want to walk around wearing some sort of antlered headdress now! :laugh:

The blacksmith is one of the only civilian minifigs in the castle lines! But yeah, he's gonna burn his hands without some tongs!

Aaaaaaand... day 8 is up!

These are wonderful and so creative. The wood carver is my favourite so far. Love seeing new creations every day. 

On 12/9/2017 at 7:50 AM, kjm161 said:

These are wonderful and so creative. The wood carver is my favourite so far. Love seeing new creations every day. 

Aw thanks, that's so kind! I really like the wood carver too!

Also, day 10 is now up!

I'm really enjoying this one. (I have a running bet with myself as to whether Day 24 will be Odin.)

They are really nice. So much diversity so far. I didn't quite expect that and enjoy it a lot! :classic: :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Karalora said:

I'm really enjoying this one. (I have a running bet with myself as to whether Day 24 will be Odin.)

Well if you're having a bet with yourself the good news is that whatever shows up on the 24th, you're going to win the bet! But the bad news is you're also going to lose the bet! :wink:

8 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

They are really nice. So much diversity so far. I didn't quite expect that and enjoy it a lot! :classic: :thumbup:

Thank you, I had a lot of fun putting them together. And since I've forgotten which order I put them in, every day is still a little surprise to me! :laugh:

And on that note, day 11 is up!

On 08/12/2017 at 12:06 AM, dgherko said:

Echo this - grindstone is awesome idea... maybe have the back element flipped the other way so that you have smooth on both sides of the stone?

Keep up the good work

D

4 hours ago, nine09nueve said:

Echo this - grindstone is awesome idea... maybe have the back element flipped the other way so that you have smooth on both sides of the stone?

Keep up the good work

D

Thanks my man! But how else is a little blacksmith going to keep a sharp edge on all those little toy swords?! :laugh:

It's straightforward enough that you can probably already see this, but the grindstone is made of these two parts:

15535.png  and  4032.png

I'd love the grindstone to be smooth/tiled on both sides! Do you mean to replace the plate with another tile, and position them back to back? It would be doable, but because they both have pin holes instead of axle holes they'd move about feely and the axle would slide out easily (unless you used a longer one with bushings on the end). There may be a way to get a smooth underside to the wheel, but I was just trying to build it with the minimum number of parts I could! Let me know if I've misunderstood what you were suggesting, or if you (or anyone else) has any other suggestions!

And Lego? If you're listening: I'd like a new element like this, but round and with a hole through it! :tongue:

11203.png

By Odin's beard, day 12 is now online and that means we're already half way through!

14 hours ago, ED-209 said:

Thanks my man! But how else is a little blacksmith going to keep a sharp edge on all those little toy swords?! :laugh:

It's straightforward enough that you can probably already see this, but the grindstone is made of these two parts:

15535.png  and  4032.png

I'd love the grindstone to be smooth/tiled on both sides! Do you mean to replace the plate with another tile, and position them back to back? It would be doable, but because they both have pin holes instead of axle holes they'd move about feely and the axle would slide out easily (unless you used a longer one with bushings on the end). There may be a way to get a smooth underside to the wheel, but I was just trying to build it with the minimum number of parts I could! Let me know if I've misunderstood what you were suggesting, or if you (or anyone else) has any other sugges

Ah yes - tbh I didn't look as closely to the wheel as I needed to... hmmm that is something to think about (will get back to you when I have a breakthrough - either mentally or with a drill bit through a small round tile!)