kjm161

[MOC] Santa’s Workshop at the North Pole Advent Calendar

The countdown is on! Only 25 more days until Christmas. I love advent calendars and wanted to create a larger Lego one this year. Each day brings a new character to fill Santa’s Workshop at the North Pole. On day one Jessica Claus welcomes you to the North Pole with a delicious tray of treats. The inside is ready for the elves and other Santa helpers to aid Santa get ready for Christmas. There are three fully furnished floors. The first floor is command central where the elves and other helpers can track Santa on his travels around the world on Christmas Eve. An extra large Christmas tree reaches into the second floor. Lots of magic and hard work happens on the second floor, which has a window greenhouse growing poinsettias of course and the workshop with toys, musical instruments and sports gear for children around the world. The third floor is the place where the elves, helpers and Santa get to relax and dine after their busy holiday season. 

Hope you enjoy and I will try to update daily as the building fills.

23883908277_7e0355a9dd_b.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

38746862411_d8e1c4b619_b.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

38746767071_1c2fb59e93_b.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

38747893491_006f35b619_c.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

38030951174_6ec82c43be_c.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

37860903685_effb9341a0_c.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

26971817689_a12932a237_c.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

38747220571_8930a5417b_c.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

37860188395_33762abea2_c.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Very impressive!  The exterior (especially the "log" construction touches) is great, but the interiors are spectacular.  My favorites are the room with the toys and the top of the tree, and the feast.  Just lovely!  :sweet:

Brilliant! Its decorated so richly and with attention to detail. The Facade is already very impressive and spot on, but the interior really pushes things up to eleven. So lovely and inventive and so much to like there. Its just perfectly build and super cute. I keep discovering things each time I look up at the pictures. Wonderful.:classic:

The war-room-style lobby gave me an extra smile btw. Santa's level of professionalism is clearly hard to over estimate:wink:

The upper build is very impressive. But how do the doors in the lower section work, especially the corners? If you open one corner, isn't it the same compartment as the corner on the neighbouring side? So do you have to put the present in the right place each day, so the later ones cannot be seen?

The little details are fantastic. I love the sewing machine and the tape measure next to it.

Hands down one of the best Santa MOCs ever and easily the best Advent calendar. The details, colors and build are absolutely wonderful. Amazing work!

This is amazing.

Fantastic attention to detail and so many inspired little touches (the cookies for the log ends and arches used as roof elements especially)

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It was really fun to create for the holidays and include as many details as I could to give it a holiday feel.

13 hours ago, MAB said:

The upper build is very impressive. But how do the doors in the lower section work, especially the corners? If you open one corner, isn't it the same compartment as the corner on the neighbouring side? So do you have to put the present in the right place each day, so the later ones cannot be seen?

Each compartment behind the centre four doors (days 2-5, 8-11, 14-17, 20-23) on a side of the advent calendar part of the MOC are comprised of a 2x4x6 door frame, a 1x4x6 door frame behind that and then a panel section behind that so that they create individual compartments for that day’s item.  The corner doors do only create one larger compartment for the two days that abut one another (days 1,24; 6,7; 12,13; 18,19) There is an angled panel at the back of this larger compartment so that it is blocked in as well.  I used the stiff cloth awning piece in dark red on a diagonal to block one days item from the next and effectively create two smaller separate triangle compartments for the corners, inelegant but effective since I already had four of these cloth parts and they are stiff enough to stand independently in the corners. A more elegant solution to create two smaller angled sections for the corner compartments by using the 4x4x6 corner door frame (parts I don't own) and having a solid door in the frame, but I was happy with the way it turned out, and I had too many bricklink orders already :) 

Ditto all of the above. My jaw is still dropping! TLG needs to sell this set. Period. Thanks for sharing it with us dumbtards who can only admire a work of art this fine. 

Thanks again everyone1. 

20 hours ago, Fenestra said:

This is amazing! I would pay for instructions! :)

On 12/1/2017 at 6:12 AM, kokkie20 said:

Holy crap, how i would love the building instructions of this piece of art.... 

Love it! Love it! Loving it! 

I would love to give anyone who wanted instructions so they could build their own, but I don't plan these out on paper or computer in advance, so I don't have any instructions. My MOCs just come together by trail and error from ideas that I have. You may be able to reverse engineer with enough photos over the next 23 days :)

Very, very impressive. This must have taken many, many hours to build. The colors are spot on, very Christmasy. 

I think one of my favorite parts is the Christmas tree! Very clever the way it goes through  the floor.

I have a couple of questions...

Do you have a view from the side of the tree?

Where are the red poinsettia flowers from?

Thanks for sharing this,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

38759784142_b850dd7884_c.jpgSanta's Workshop at the North Pole by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Day 4 Neighbours come to visit

17 hours ago, Andy D said:

Do you have a view from the side of the tree?

Where are the red poinsettia flowers from?

Sorry, I don't have any side pictures of the tree right now. The poinsettia flowers are from a few of the earlier Friends sets and are under Friends parts in Bricklink: Friends Accessories Flower with 7 Thin Petals and Pin Part 93081e,

On 12/4/2017 at 2:59 AM, kjm161 said:

Sorry, I don't have any side pictures of the tree right now. The poinsettia flowers are from a few of the earlier Friends sets and are under Friends parts in Bricklink: Friends Accessories Flower with 7 Thin Petals and Pin Part 93081e,

Thanks, I have a BL order for some poinsettias, I will use them in my Christmas setting next year.

Andy D

I have no dilemmas, this is probably the best Lego interior I've ever seen! The whole building is great, but the interior is perfect. I hope that Lego will once make a similar set.