Gumbinger

[MOC] Delta-7 Jedi Starfighter

After this years (underwhelming) release of one of my favorite ships, I thought I'd give it a go and make my own.  I was inspired by khatmorg's & atlas_er's versions, and I borrowed some ideas from them and also did some things that make mine unique.  I actually built khatmorg's version and really enjoyed it, but I thought it should be a bit larger and a bit more detailed.  I also wanted to have retractable landing gear and a realistic underbelly.  Enjoy!

- Gumbinger

38722673962_e7e469f27c_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6f8 by M G, on Flickr

38754040901_2e47274246_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6e7 by M G, on Flickr

38037538174_2d1abd7257_c.jpgD728 by M G, on Flickr

38722675892_9562e9fb77_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6ea by M G, on Flickr

38037533104_705d9bf95b_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6fd by M G, on Flickr

38722674602_9ed0f64bac_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6ef by M G, on Flickr

38722678652_e09efa35cb_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6e4 by M G, on Flickr

38754037021_f1318bd624_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6ee by M G, on Flickr

38754038171_4b75740796_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6ec by M G, on Flickr

23889199497_5dcd655a93_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6e1 by M G, on Flickr

23889198457_8ab05a00b0_c.jpgD716 by M G, on Flickr

38754035611_a82bc17e16_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6f1 by M G, on Flickr

38722676632_1794c39a71_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_6e8 by M G, on Flickr

Edited by Gumbinger

Nice! Great blend of proven designs and unique ideas, and definitely blows TLG-s horrible rendition out of the water. That's probably this year's biggest letdown for me too..

I love the look of it! It looks very majestic, just like the real ship, though I feel that the engines may be a little too fragile. Do you think it could be modified for it to fit into the Booster Ring? Also are you going to make instructions for it? I would love to look into it and see how it's built.

Lovely recreation of a beautiful vehicle! I like how the white line goes from the tip of the nose to the back fin without any interruption. The only little suggestion I have is maybe try adding 1x1 dark red cheese slopes on top of 1x4 white slopes to make the transition from the wings to the nose less abrupt and 2x3 dark red wedge plates right after 3x6 dark bley wedge plates to make the gaps a little smaller (if the inner structure allows you to do so). Hope it works out well! :wink:

Edited by BrickShady

15 hours ago, Legomanarthur said:

I love the look of it! It looks very majestic, just like the real ship, though I feel that the engines may be a little too fragile. Do you think it could be modified for it to fit into the Booster Ring? Also are you going to make instructions for it? I would love to look into it and see how it's built.

Thanks!  The ship is quite swoosh-able and sturdy.  The engines are attached via the stud at the tip with a bar going through it for added support.  There are definitely more stable designs out there, but I wanted to go with the round look like the actual ship.  I'm sure it can be modified for the booster ring!  I am not very good with LDD, so I wasn't planning on making instructions.  But I could take some parts off to show the inside.

4 hours ago, BrickShady said:

Lovely recreation of a beautiful vehicle! I like how the white line goes from the tip of the nose to the back fin without any interruption. The only little suggestion I have is maybe try adding 1x1 dark red cheese slopes on top of 1x4 white slopes to make the transition from the wings to the nose less abrupt and 2x3 dark red wedge plates right after 3x6 dark bley wedge plates to make the gaps a little smaller (if the inner structure allows you to do so). Hope it works out well! :wink:

Thanks!  I played around with that idea, and was on the fence about it.  I liked it, but the cheese slopes stuck out just a bit about the wing, and its a slightly different angle than the nose/wing, so I decided to leave them off.  I chose not to use red 2x3 wedge plates right after the 3x6 bley wedge plates because in the model there is a little gap there close to where the gun fires (I hope that makes sense).   Thanks for the suggestion though!

Edited by Gumbinger

8 hours ago, Gumbinger said:

Thanks!  The ship is quite swoosh-able and sturdy.  The engines are attached via the stud at the tip with a bar going through it for added support.  There are definitely more stable designs out there, but I wanted to go with the round look like the actual ship.  I'm sure it can be modified for the booster ring!  I am not very good with LDD, so I wasn't planning on making instructions.  But I could take some parts off to show the inside.

That would be great!

Nice model AND nice build.

Maybe you can use plate 1x1 with hole and a bar to strenghten a bit the engines.

6 hours ago, Anio said:

Nice model AND nice build.

Maybe you can use plate 1x1 with hole and a bar to strenghten a bit the engines.

Thats exactly how I did it.  They hold on very well.

Very good. I'm glad to see that you took some inspiration (however small) from my take on khatmorg's excellent work. you've made some really good innovations here, I think my favourite is the dark grey wedge that you have jutting out of the wing a tiny bit, to recreate that part on the real thing. That's something that I left out of mine and it's great to see you managed to find an elegant way of doing it. How solid is yours? It looks pretty strong, mine is overall pretty well put together but has some weak spots, and I cheated a little bit in places with 'illegal' connections.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:53 AM, atlas said:

Very good. I'm glad to see that you took some inspiration (however small) from my take on khatmorg's excellent work. you've made some really good innovations here, I think my favourite is the dark grey wedge that you have jutting out of the wing a tiny bit, to recreate that part on the real thing. That's something that I left out of mine and it's great to see you managed to find an elegant way of doing it. How solid is yours? It looks pretty strong, mine is overall pretty well put together but has some weak spots, and I cheated a little bit in places with 'illegal' connections.

Aw man, I didn't realize I had a few replies!  Not on here very often.  

Thanks!  I love your version and I referred to yours and Khatmorg's (and some photos) quite a bit!  Mine is very sturdy - even the engines, and the only spot that is slightly weak is the underside, back of the wings.  The only thing that is 'illegal' is a connection on the inside - The cockpit is a half brick higher than the rest of the ship, if that makes sense.