Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] Farmhouse near Salida Este

On the outskirts of Salida Este, on the island of Ferro Azure, a family goes about their daily chores on their farm.

01.jpg

The farmer's wife has just finished sweeping. The farmer chopped and stacked the firewood earlier, and now he is just coming back from feeding the animals.

02.jpg

Their son is playing in the yard, chasing the chickens. Or is he trying to catch dinner?

03.jpg

Such is life out in the island colonies.

04.jpg

----------

This was my third build over the Thanksgiving holiday. It was inspired by a painting I saw of an 18th century farmhouse, and was an excuse to experiment with a roof technique. I didn't have enough cheese slopes to do a roof for a larger build, so there's no interior. But I'm happy with how the two roof sections meet up.

As always, all C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

this roof is the answer to the question I had for myself "how will it looks with cheese slopes on a plate over 45° 2x2 slopes"

I thought it would be more "flat" for the roof top angle

Nice farm

and the log pile :thumbup:

I like this one a lot. The way the dark tan masonry bricks are broken up with normal bricks works well, gives a more natural look. The blue shutters and door make for a nice highlight, and the log first floor looks great. Great job!

Very nice! The colours chosen work well together, as do the building techniques. The whole thing looks very "composed", which I guess comes from the picture it is inspired by. Do you have a link to said picture?

On 12/1/2017 at 6:11 AM, Professor Thaum said:

this roof is the answer to the question I had for myself "how will it looks with cheese slopes on a plate over 45° 2x2 slopes"

I thought it would be more "flat" for the roof top angle

Nice farm

and the log pile :thumbup:

Thanks. And the top of the roof is very flat. I've added a row of 1x1 bricks on their side at the top to make the peak of the roof.

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I like this one a lot. The way the dark tan masonry bricks are broken up with normal bricks works well, gives a more natural look. The blue shutters and door make for a nice highlight, and the log first floor looks great. Great job!

Thanks. I've found mixing in regular bricks with masonry bricks really does improve the effect.

4 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Very nice! The colours chosen work well together, as do the building techniques. The whole thing looks very "composed", which I guess comes from the picture it is inspired by. Do you have a link to said picture?

Thanks. And here's a link to the picture. As you can see, I haven't attempted to recreate the full scene or specifically model the house, but rather just used it for inspiration. Among other things, I would have needed a much larger build to include the tree and have room for the cow.

Just now, Capt Wolf said:

And here's a link to the picture. As you can see, I haven't attempted to recreate the full scene or specifically model the house, but rather just used it for inspiration. Among other things, I would have needed a much larger build to include the tree and have room for the cow.

The inspiration is obvious, and a 1:1 interpretation is neither possible nor something useful for BotBS. Your adaptation is great!

A nice cottage! Colors work great and so is the cheese sloped roof. I found a hefty amount of black cheese slopes and wanted to try this style as well so I am glad you showed it to us.

6 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

I found a hefty amount of black cheese slopes and wanted to try this style as well so I am glad you showed it to us.

I have used a very similar roof technique before, which you can find here.

13 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I have used a very similar roof technique before, which you can find here.

True! Pf... I must stop reading posts while on my mobile's screen. I keep losing details!

Nice little farm !

I like the nice simple activity you've made around it. Even if not a fan of this roof technique I have to admit it's nice on this type of building. 

Good job !

A lovely scene, I like how you've painted the peaceful life of the farmers.