Hello everyone!

It has been a while since I last posted on this forum. In November I tripped to Russia again for participating LEGO event held in Moscow. This year, my friend Rm8 gave me the opportunity to make video review of my models together at his studio. You might have seen the review of Jeep Wranglers.

And this is the other model that I first had a presentation to Russian builders in the event.

Toyota Land Cruiser 80

800x451.jpg

Weight: 1520g

-XL motor for propulsion

-Servo motor for steering

-M motor for front winch

-M motor for two speed gearbox and center/rear differential lock

-LEDs for front and rear lights

800x450.jpg

800x418.jpg

800x450.jpg

Everything started from the issue of center differential in the drivetrain of my previous Pickup. After driving on serious off-road I found that bevel gears in center differential got damaged and often slipped. So I tried to find the way to reinforce gear meshing in 4L differential.

800x450.jpg

In conclusion, I still have not succeeded. Every attempt was not strong enough for transmitting the torque of geared down (3:1) XL motor. In extreme situation floating fourth bevel gear was pushed out by the force of twisting differential housing. I was even hoping new red 4L differential could hold four bevel gears tightly in it, but it does not. So I used the second one in the picture above. (just insert 1L technic brick for holding both side of axles tighter)

While attempting several ideas of transmission, I was building another 4x4 model using three differentials. Eventually it became the most advanced version of my SUV models yet being over complex and less reliable.

800x450.jpg

The main feature is sequentially working gearbox and diff lock system. I used Didumos69's Compact 90 degree stepper idea for switching four modes. (0→1→2→3→0 ...)

0: high gear

1: low gear

2: low gear with center diff lock

3: low gear with center/rear diff lock

You can see it working in the second half of this video filmed by Rm8.

I used M motor instead of Servo motor for switching modes because there was no space for it under the driver's seat. It is necessary to stop motor rotation when stepper axle comes to the right position.

Actually this model is too heavy for real off road driving. Center differential often suffered the load, and it was a little bit tricky to operate sequential mechanism precisely from a distance.

So I built a lighter and simplified version only using XL and Servo motor. It has softer rear suspension, manual gearbox and center/rear limited slip differential. (Weight: 1260g)

800x450.jpg

Ironically it worked better than fully equipped version even lacking diff lock system. Thanks to soft suspension it has better axle articulation. All four tires well kept contact with the ground.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

I put it on rocky surface just for taking pictures. Actually it could not climb over those rocks, though.

800x450.jpg

I am making building instructions for both versions.

I hope you will like it!

800x450.jpg

Edited by Madoca 1977

Excellent work an nice to read about the hurdles you had to take. It's good to know building this kind of models is still a challenge for you too :wink:. I feel honored to be mentioned for the stepper idea :blush:.

Great MOC Madoca! As always You are a great inspiration for my own ideas for Technic creations. Keep up good work!

thank you for creation of  my favourite car brand :sweet:

I love both models. Grey is great for playing and black with its transmission shoud be good for models with less powerful motors for driving, for example 1 or 2 L motors.

Can't wait to build white TLC80 with black bumpers and arches!

Come back again with or without new MOCs)

maxresdefault-768x432.jpg

Edited by rm8

Congratulations Madoca, fantastic MOC in every aspects! :wub: :thumbup:

I would like to go beyond the pure praising words: I seriously doubt, that in this scale anything more could be integrated, it seems You reached the borders of Technic building possibilities. (As we tought this before already, I can imagine, that Your picture about Lego Universe is expanding as well, just like the real one, so borders are only for us, in our mind. :classic:)

I do respect Your talent in the highest level, and I really-really hope that TLG will hear my words, and makes a gesture towards You. Many-many children and adult admire Your work, and I am pretty sure the distributed (worldwide!) marketing value is not negliegable at all!

wow - lovely model Madoca. I love the presentation idea of the yellow ramp to show axle articulation. Much more elegant than sticking a wheel on the ground for it to sit on :)

Awesome MOC again, in these dark ages you are one of the few who keep the level very high, it is a pleasure to look under your cars.

Great work, lots of interesting features in a compact package, the gear indicator on the roof is a rather good idea, as it is an easy way to determine what gear the vehicle is in. Also how well does the fourth gear work in the differential case, as it is floating, what benefit does it provide besides preventing the collapsing between the two outermost gears inward, and causing them to slip off of the axle? I may have to try using a 1x1 technic beam to replace the two half bushes in my differentials in the future, as I think that was one of the reasons why my last moc had issues with gear skipping in differentials inside the dual differential steering mechanism.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

As always, you've done the masterpiece! The grey one looks even better. Simplicity always pays! But, one thing I want to mention though.

Have you tried using negative offset for wheels in this model and keep the same width of the axles? TLC 80 usually got equiped with such wheels.

This is brilliant! I love every aspect of this build. Your scaling is totally perfect and everything looks great. As the video shows this car functions as well as it looks. Great end to the year Madoca! :wub:

On 11/30/2017 at 7:22 PM, Didumos69 said:

Excellent work an nice to read about the hurdles you had to take. It's good to know building this kind of models is still a challenge for you too :wink:. I feel honored to be mentioned for the stepper idea :blush:.

You always give me inspirations. Especially I like the way of pure technic (without slack) building. Thank you for sharing great ideas! In this case, I used a shock absorber instead of rubber bands for 90 degree stepper.

Great creation.

In my opinion wheel are just a little oversized, but wheel dimensions are always an issue with Technic so, everything's fine :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Also how well does the fourth gear work in the differential case, as it is floating, what benefit does it provide besides preventing the collapsing between the two outermost gears inward, and causing them to slip off of the axle? I may have to try using a 1x1 technic beam to replace the two half bushes in my differentials in the future, as I think that was one of the reasons why my last moc had issues with gear skipping in differentials inside the dual differential steering mechanism.

At first I thought putting fourth gear into differential would prevent gear skipping because of tighter meshing than three bevel gears. But I noticed that floating fourth gear was just lying on two inner bevel gears, which means there would be no tighter meshing between them.
Then I realized that the point was not the fourth gear but inserting a piece (with pin hole) between two inner bevel gears. That piece can hold both axles almost in line. (Of course it also prevents gears sliding inwards.) Thus, inner three gears would hardly disengaged.
...At least on paper. Actually higher XL torque broke the theory.
But I think it is still a better way to reinforce 4L differential. Also 1L technic brick is better than 1L liftarm because its slightly thicker and square shape leaves less room around it.

I love the grey TLC80, its a good colour combination, but do you have a LDD or photos of that yellow test ramp as that is neat, I have seen RM8 using one and it would be great to build to test models out on.

57 minutes ago, brickless_kiwi said:

I love the grey TLC80, its a good colour combination, but do you have a LDD or photos of that yellow test ramp as that is neat, I have seen RM8 using one and it would be great to build to test models out on.

Actually that was Madoka's ramp in both our videos. But I want to build one for me)

Edited by rm8

17 hours ago, Madoca 1977 said:

You always give me inspirations. Especially I like the way of pure technic (without slack) building. Thank you for sharing great ideas! In this case, I used a shock absorber instead of rubber bands for 90 degree stepper.

Thank you! I appreciate it.