manglegrat

[LDD-MOC] Battlestar Galactica

On 22/12/2017 at 3:46 AM, manglegrat said:

Thanks! Do you mean the big ones or the small ones? :wink: This and Pegasus would make a great set with your two big ones, for sure. To be closer to-scale though, your small ones'd have to be just smaller than a 1x1 tile... :laugh: 

When's the next set of pics of your big-scale Raider coming out? :sweet:

I was just meaning that they would look great together! ;) I know that there will always be a problem of scale between these ships!!

As for the Cylon Raider's instructions, they are very close to be released, and the photo shoot will be posted at the same time... I am just waiting for the UCS sticker to arrive... :)

11 hours ago, Davdup said:

I was just meaning that they would look great together! ;) I know that there will always be a problem of scale between these ships!!

As for the Cylon Raider's instructions, they are very close to be released, and the photo shoot will be posted at the same time... I am just waiting for the UCS sticker to arrive... :)

Just joshin' on the scale thing. :grin: I could also have said that to make mine to-scale with your big ones, mine'd need to be about the size of a bus... but maybe just the size of a small car (like a Lotus Elise) to scale with the smaller ones. :wink:

Cool news on the Raider. I'll be watching for a new thread! 

PS my BrickLink orders got caught up in the holiday postal deluge, no signs of the parts yet. Gah! :angry:

Edited by manglegrat
added PS

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, manglegrat said:

Just joshin' on the scale thing. :grin: I could also have said that to make mine to-scale with your big ones, mine'd need to be about the size of a bus... but maybe just the size of a small car (like a Lotus Elise) to scale with the smaller ones. :wink:

Cool news on the Raider. I'll be watching for a new thread! 

PS my BrickLink orders got caught up in the holiday postal deluge, no signs of the parts yet. Gah! :angry:

U started building Galactica yet? Looking forward to seeing it in real bricks.

On 1/9/2018 at 6:25 PM, Evil Porkchop said:

U started building Galactica yet? Looking forward to seeing it in real bricks.

Sadly, Canada Post has screwed the pooch big time with my final BL parts order and I'm having to reorder them while the original package is sitting in idiot limbo somewhere.

It took a week to get to Canada from the US and clear customs, spent the next 3 weeks sitting in Richmond, BC being ignored as everyone's Christmas mail went past it, then a few days ago it was sent to Mississauga, Ontario, for some unknown reason that Canada Post can't even tell me after 30 minutes on hold to talk to someone in Customer Service, who did tell me I have to get the sender to ask USPS what Canada Post has done to the package while it's been in Canada... It's only like $15USD worth of used bricks, so not exactly pushing the limits!

I'm sitting here in Calgary dumbfounded at the mess they've made of it. :angry:

I just made the replacement order tonight from a Canadian BL store, but it'll be probably a week or more until it gets here, so there's gonna be at least that much of a wait - unless the original order arrives here from its magical mystery tour before then. :sad:

On the upside, I managed to get a UCS Falcon when it was available just before Christmas, it came just after New Year and the parts for the vertical stand have finally arrived this week, so I've got that to work on while I wait. :sweet:

Edited by manglegrat

Finished!

39170649285_af06e5b4f1_c.jpg

Sidepods extended below:

40036553972_a83fb2355c_c.jpg

And here she is flying in formation with the Pegasus - The Bucket and the Beast! :wub:

26196263238_b8c8159172_c.jpg

I stuck with the original narrow nose design, but made some tweaks through the build process for stability, robustness, etc., which are reflected in the LDD files now available in my Bricksafe folder (and a couple of Word doc files for stickers: one clear-backed, one white-backed). It's now at about 3300 parts.

More pics in my Flickr album. A parts list (double-check against the LDD files!) is available on my Rebrickable account.

I didn't do instructions (and won't), but I split the original design that the last render was done from into LDD files with component groups and used the LDD-generated instructions to build the components, then did a bit of de/reconstruction to pull it all together. I may have gotten a little out of sync, so they may not be perfect - I'll leave it as a challenge for the builder... :devil:

With a bit of creativity (and hey, that's what Lego's all about!), you should be able to build it from those no problem.

I'm particularly happy with the Colonial logo on the shield on the back. The LDD uses a 4x4 dish instead, but I'm not good enough to figure out how to do a sectioned sticker that can fit on a 3d compound curve with a hole in the middle, so I went flat instead. :wink:

There's no 4x4 round tile available, but with 4 of the new macaroni tiles (27925) and a 2x2 round tile (14769, not 4150), the sticker holds it all together as if it was a single 4x4 round tile, and fits where the dish was. :thumbup:

I cheated a bit and used rubber bands (one red one twisted up a bit to tighten it up, and one blue one, both genuine Lego ones - in the parts list but not in the LDD files) to hold the "cheek" plates on the head in the right place and at the right angles. I could make connections that'd make it work with some extra parts in LDD but couldn't actually assemble it IRL because other parts get in the way and make it impossible to do it! Not sure that "floating" approach is strictly legal, but hey - works for me! :tongue: Actually, some rubber bands would probably help tighten up the head section of the Pegasus as well... hmm. 

The side pod/launch bays slide out and in on grooved bricks & door rail parts. They stay in or out just through friction at the angle it's at on that stand (shallower than the stand for Pegasus). I'm relieved I didn't have to design a locking mechanism for them!

If anyone builds it, please share your pics afterwards, and good luck. :laugh:

Here's a shot of my BSG fleet.

39358900844_9c7508d289_c.jpg

Edited by manglegrat
Cleaned-up main pic. Added "pods out" shot.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:40 PM, manglegrat said:

I have removed this MOC from Rebrickable and Bricksafe while I refresh the design and work on producing ($) building instructions.

Check my Flickr feed for WIP updates.

Been almost a year dude, are the instructions done yet?

I need this ship. (And shelf space)

2 hours ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Been almost a year dude, are the instructions done yet?

I need this ship. (And shelf space)

Looks like you found the other thread with the updated instructions link. :wink: :laugh: