CappnRob

Capes! So many to choose from! Please advise.

So I'm looking up capes for some minifigs, and.... wow I never realized there were so many versions of the fabric LEGO used. Does anyone have a good explanation of the different kinds and why they're like that, and which they suggest the most to buy secondhand?

I'm specifically referring to the Traditional Starched, Shiny Starched, and the Spongy Stretchable fabric.

The main advantage of "spongy stretchable" is that it doesn't show creases the same way the starched versions do, so it's good for things like if you want to fit a minifigure with a cape inside a vehicle without the cape being crumpled when you take them back out. It's not as thin as the starched fabrics, though, and has a more visible weave, which I know bothers some people.

The advantage of the stiff capes is that you can use them to help pose minifigs. Here is one I did of Thor a few years ago which is still my sigfig (I don't have a better quality pic):17212514855_abff70cc8d_c.jpg

I really like the leaned-back look, where he is balanced in one leg (at an angle), with the rest of the weight supported by the cape. I prefer the softer capes in other settings since they look more natural, but the starched capes definitely have their uses.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Just now, rodiziorobs said:

The advantage of the stiff capes is that you can use them to help pose minifigs. Here is one I did of Thor a few years ago which is still my sigfig (I don't have a better quality pic):17212514855_abff70cc8d_c.jpg

I really like the leaned-back look, where he is balanced in one leg (at an angle), with the rest of the weight supported by the cape. I prefer the softer capes in other settings since they look more natural, but the starched capes definitely have their uses.

I'm guessing the spongy stretchable capes are the "soft" ones? Or is there another category of capes that I've missed? lol

There is also this piece.

4524.png

I still wish they did some more modern solid / molded capes like this one from brickwarriors.

CU2-018-05-RS-N_1.jpg

Edited by MAB

Just now, CappnRob said:

I'm guessing the spongy stretchable capes are the "soft" ones? Or is there another category of capes that I've missed? lol

Right. The spongy ones are soft and gauzy. You can wad them up and when they unfold they look the same as before.

As @Aanchir said, the others (stiff/starched) show their creases a lot more. I haven't really noticed a difference between Traditional/Shiny. Maybe I don't have any shiny ones :look:

I can't say I'm terribly fond of the hard plastic capes, lol. The customs look cool, but will probably get in the way of posing.

As for the difference between shiny and traditional, yeah, I can't tell either. I have at least 1 shiny cape (the Retro Space Hero), but it looks like my old capes. I guess its more vibrant? But all my old capes are in black and brown so psh.

Just now, MAB said:

There is also this piece.

4524.png

That's the cape I like to use.  Never been into the fabric much.

36 minutes ago, CappnRob said:

I can't say I'm terribly fond of the hard plastic capes, lol. The customs look cool, but will probably get in the way of posing.

This is true, the legs are fairly restricted (can hardly move them backwards) but the arms are OK.

47 minutes ago, CappnRob said:

A possible compromise is Arealight. They do rubbery capes in various colours. The capes allow for dynamic poses while not looking silly if the minifigure is standing in a neutral, non-dynamic stance. 

I have had issues with Arealight's production quality. It's usually OK, but some parts have indelible pale spots. Also, Arealight has deplorable customer service - so bad that I almost didn't mention them. All I can say is caveat emptor! 

33946.jpg

If your heart is set on fabric, I can't recommend Capes4Minifigs strongly enough. They do a vast range of colours, sizes, styles and materials (polycotton, polyester and a kind of thin vinyl), all backed by excellent customer service.

Edited by AmperZand

When it comes to custom capes, I actually really like CapeMadness on Bricklink myself. How do they stack up to Capes4Minifigs?

4 minutes ago, CappnRob said:

When it comes to custom capes, I actually really like CapeMadness on Bricklink myself. How do they stack up to Capes4Minifigs?

I only have a few CapeMadness capes, so don't have a wide basis of comparison.

Capes4Minifigs capes are made to the same standard as LEGO capes but the colours aren't always exactly the same as LEGO's.

They're not particularly expensive, so my suggestion would be to order a few of theirs, CapeMadness' and LEGO's and compare them. With pictures, a review of all three together would make a great addition to this thread!   

I'm not a fan of the direct copies of LEGO's capes. I'm not so bothered if they do them printed or make them a slightly different shape or design so that they can be easily differentiated from the real thing. But direct copies can be confused with the genuine article.

I have both old and new ones from capes4minifigs (via ebay). The old ones used to have a sort of vinyl surface on one side, but the new ones are almost a perfect match for LEGO quality.