CopMike

LDD: New gallery - please read!

From TLG:

Hi LAN Ambassadors,

I received an update from the LDD development team. They have been working on the gallery feature and from this week the new gallery will be launched. The new gallery will be empty when launched and moving forwards users of LDD will be saving their model to the hard drive and then uploading it to the gallery.

This means that if you have any content stored in the LDD Gallery that you wish to save please save the content to your hard drive immediately! 

Edit: If you are working on a model right now, you need to finish that model because it is not possible to upload the .lxf format to the new gallery and continue building on a model from the old gallery!

You can upload your creation again on the new gallery in a .png (image) format, but your creation will not be moved to the new gallery automatically. 

Sorry, for the inconvenience.

48 minutes ago, kokkie20 said:

Let them rather update LDD with new stuff and then focus on the gallery to be honest :/

Agreed. Redoing the gallery isn't necessary compared to fixing program bugs and adding new parts.

I never used the gallery but am I right that they are saying they’re going from an LXF+PNG gallery to a PNG-only gallery?

Last nail in LDD’s coffin?

THIS is what we get an update from the LDD Development Team after a year?!

I do appreciate this news though, so I don't waste a couple days generating instructions for 75192 so I can upload it.

On 11/29/2017 at 3:38 PM, SylvainLS said:

I never used the gallery but am I right that they are saying they’re going from an LXF+PNG gallery to a PNG-only gallery?

Last nail in LDD’s coffin?

I really, really hope not.

On 11/29/2017 at 3:28 PM, ChristopherLee said:

Agreed. Redoing the gallery isn't necessary compared to fixing program bugs and adding new parts.

Yep. The bad boy needs some new stuff stat!

Yeah, while it's easy to be cynical about a new, less funcitonal LDD gallery, to be honest the fact that the LDD team is still working on public-facing content at all feels reassuring. After all, it would be even easier for Lego to take down the LDD gallery without replacing it.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:27 PM, Lyichir said:

Yeah, while it's easy to be cynical about a new, less functional LDD gallery, to be honest the fact that the LDD team is still working on public-facing content at all feels reassuring. After all, it would be even easier for Lego to take down the LDD gallery without replacing it.

I hope this means LDD will get more parts added when the new gallery is released!

8 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

I hope this means LDD will get more parts added when the new gallery is released!

I hope so too.

Won't they have to actually update LDD for this, for the purpose of rerouting the "send to LEGO.com" button? It stands to reason they would add at least a few new parts with that...

4 minutes ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

Won't they have to actually update LDD for this, for the purpose of rerouting the "send to LEGO.com" button? It stands to reason they would add at least a few new parts with that...

I'm pretty sure they would have to update LDD. The "Send to LEGO.com" button is currently deactivated and has been that way for a long time. I'm pretty sure an LDD update is coming fairly soon, but to function with the new online LDD Gallery.

It's only deactivated in Extended Mode or if LDD itself isn't Internet-connected. I upload stuff to the gallery all the time.

But this gallery will function totally differently, so they will have to update both program and website.

11 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

@CopMike A week has passed since this thread was made. When will we get to see the new online LDD Gallery?

Very Soon! Possibly late January.

This same message posted at the top of the thread is on the front page of LDD's own official microsite. It says these changes will be put in place "in a few days."

Three weeks later, the notice is still on the microsite saying it's coming in a few days, the old gallery still exists and stuff is being posted, and LDD has not been updated at all. What gives?

7 hours ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

Three weeks later, the notice is still on the microsite saying it's coming in a few days, the old gallery still exists and stuff is being posted, and LDD has not been updated at all. What gives?

Please be patient folks!

I'm still being patient and also looking forward to this! What's the word on the new gallery, @CopMike?

Edited by MatthewRC
Fixed a typo

7 hours ago, Dilvish said:

Sorry to hear they are removing a feature, as LDD seems more popular than LDraw. (I am an LDraw user.)

Actually, they’re not removing the gallery. Instead, they’re upgrading it!

17 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Actually, they’re not removing the gallery. Instead, they’re upgrading it!

Hopefully a week after the new year starts, it'll be back online.
You know, we do have to take Christmas Breaks!

Now that LDD has received new parts to its inventory in Version 4.3.11, when will the new gallery go live?

Edited by MatthewRC