Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

2 hours ago, Mosse1997 said:

I was thinking about placing DD next to PR but with the stairs between each other so you get som space between the houses. 

yes that is what im also thinking of doing.

can someone post a picture like this to see what it looks like?

I'm not to sure about this one. It has some great elements (the art deco sections and the spiral starmircase), some mediocre sections (the tan facade) and some plain awfull bits (the backside with the hood of the stove portruding).

Don't really care about the faces or the car but I do dislike getting another chefs torso and another Grey jacket with pink scarf torso.

All in all I think its a tad bit to expensive. 

23 minutes ago, just_one said:

yes that is what im also thinking of doing.

can someone post a picture like this to see what it looks like?

37854924045_aeb90147eb_b.jpgdd6 by VictorUK, on Flickr

9 hours ago, ukblock said:

Hello, I'm new here. I think DD looks quite lovely next to DO :sweet:

dd1.jpg

Yeah, next year might just be the year I get into modulars. Thanks much for that mock-up.

Every year I think it would be hard for LEGO to suprise me with their newest modular, but they did it again! With it's cheerful colors, polished exterior and nice interior details Downtown Diner pleases me very much!

The brick yellow plated facade could perhaps seem like a boring brick wall, but I think it's very clever how they did it. It's also nice to see they avoided the line between two floors this time, introducing an other technique and making it different than other modulars. Furthermore the brick yellow makes the colorful diner and jukebox shaped 'tower' shine in contrast.

On its own the building looks very good. I'm curious to see how it looks next to the other modulars. Difficulty will be combining the open side with a modular that isn’t too different in style and has a nice sidewall. I guess it fits best next to Detective Office because of its architectural style.

Nevertheless I have a feeling this one takes a leap in style towards more modern. The change from classic minifigure faces into modern faces strengthens the feeling the modular line could be on a turning point. It makes me wonder what direction the modular line is heading to.

I’ve read some members here weren’t, unlike me, convinced by the leaked picture and became only enthousiast after the official release, but I don’t think think the external impression is enhanced by the later revealed left and back side. That lamp on the left looks too much like the drainpipe and I'm not really fond of the black exterior staircase either, but I'm incredibly glad they did it this way instead of making the building on the first floor (the gym) a passageway to the second floor (recording studios), like in Detective’s Office or Assembly Square.

Furthermore I don’t understand the need for new flower parts. The previous design wouldn’t have made a notable difference. A part of the charm of LEGO to me is the aspecificity of parts, that makes it possible to make so much different creations with a limited amount of different parts.

I’m glad to see tiles with a stud on the sidewalk as I don’t like modding my modulars, but adding studded tiles is something I’ve been considering for a long time for sake of display.

I think I’m going for Downtown Diner as fast as I can, looking forward to build and display it! Meanwhile I catch myself that I’m already looking forward to the next modular. The shops we’ve had make a fun modular street, but I hope we'll once eventually get a truly grand modular building again.

I like it a lot and can see it fitting well into a town layout which has a variety of modulars, sets and MOCs, as well. For me it will sit well between my Apple Store and Friends Scooter Shop. Maybe it will push some people to MOC outside of their comfort zones.

28 minutes ago, ukblock said:

Still no designer video? :look: Doesn't video normally release with the official announcement ......

I feel like it's become pretty normal for the designer video to come later than the press release these days. We literally only got the Joker Manor designer video a few days ago. I'm looking forward to it as well, though!

10 hours ago, ukblock said:

dd1.jpg

I like the Idea of putting the open staircase of the Parisian restaurant next to the Diner's staircase.... allowing side details on both to be more visible...

I don't think its an accident that diner and Parisian restaurants side staircases mirror each other like that.

8 hours ago, brickbuilder711 said:

Great minds think alike!

[Modern Modulars] Hair Salon + MADO Ice Cream Cafe

Gonna place this guy on the LEFT ("Corner") side of the 10260. I was thinking of adding floors, but this way I can say it will most definitely work, and more so with the DD. That way people will have something to look out to instead of seeing another wall smack in their face, while the linear purpose of the set is preserved. Also some may observe the raised plate, I do a hybrid with GFLUG sidewalk and probs will make the same adjustment for the DD.

YES. I am in this line. 

35939843101_1872ab008e_b.jpg

What a divisive set! From most of the comments so far, people seem to be really polarised into "love it" or "hate it" camps! I'm in the tiny "ambivalent" group; I'll probably buy the set but I don't think it really blends in well with the other modulars at all.

Best to not think of it as one of the modulars but as a standalone set that just so happens to be modular in design and then appreciate its good features. There's lots of good stuff about it: special colours, new parts, quirky character, etc. Pity about the car, though. With sooooo many LEGO sets featuring vehicles, did we really need valuable parts-count being allocated to yet another one?

3 minutes ago, JanetVanD said:

Pity about the car, though. With sooooo many LEGO sets featuring vehicles, did we really need valuable parts-count being allocated to yet another one?

Yes we need :) Look at those ugly things that came out every yer in City theme...

The car reminds me of the pink Cadillacs that Elvis liked so much. I wonder if it is a nod to Elvis?

Andy D

12 hours ago, ukblock said:

dd1.jpg

I think this one looks the best, but imo they're all lackluster due to the fact that it's a different era building. 

Can someone mirror the Diner and double it (legosjaaks idea) and then put it next to the DO? Both sides will have the stairs en connect the right stairs/pins with the left side of the DO. I don't have Photoshop otherwise I would have done it myself :P. 

It's beautiful, and maybe it marks a whole new direction with modular buildings? I feel like the Cafe Corner has gone as far as it can in terms of architecture. Sure, we can add more different types of buildings, but they all start to look alike after a while.

I will start a new city block with this, the detective office, and the movie theatre, which didn't fit all that great into the Cafe Corner series anyway. 

Which LEGO designer did it?

Two things I don't like:

-the minifig heads

-the car. Seems useless.  Waste of money and parts. 

Just now, cassieas1 said:

Just got this email, could this shot be from the video?

Capture.JPG

I think this is a designer video but I haven't received this email from lego. Does it tell you when we can watch the preview ? Cheers

Thanks to all who "placed" the DD next to other modulars for comparisons and ideas.  This convinces me that I need to MOC a small park to place to the immediate left of the diner in order to preserve that corner curve to the left.  If you place anything other than the PR to the left, then much of the the left side is going to be flush into the side of a building.  On top of that, you are likely going to have the ugly side of the other building mostly exposed since the diner's upper floors will not cover it up.  

1 hour ago, JanetVanD said:

What a divisive set! From most of the comments so far, people seem to be really polarised into "love it" or "hate it" camps! I'm in the tiny "ambivalent" group; I'll probably buy the set but I don't think it really blends in well with the other modulars at all.

Best to not think of it as one of the modulars but as a standalone set that just so happens to be modular in design and then appreciate its good features. There's lots of good stuff about it: special colours, new parts, quirky character, etc. Pity about the car, though. With sooooo many LEGO sets featuring vehicles, did we really need valuable parts-count being allocated to yet another one?

Right there with you.  I am neither gung ho nor am I a hater when it comes to this one.  There are things I really like, and things I really do not like, but it will be an eventual purchase (still need to get the DO).  

1 hour ago, Andy D said:

The car reminds me of the pink Cadillacs that Elvis liked so much. I wonder if it is a nod to Elvis?

Andy D

Look at that figure closely...it reminds me Elvis so much :)

Just now, just_one said:

not asking too much but can someone add the DO next to Downtown Diner?

its already done, look ath the thread up...:)

28 minutes ago, ukblock said:

I think this is a designer video but I haven't received this email from lego. Does it tell you when we can watch the preview ? Cheers

Unfortunately no