Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

On 1/10/2018 at 4:37 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I am considering buying the Diner but have to admit I'm not totally sold on the look and style of this one and how well it will fit in alongside previous modulars. Even so it does seem to be getting rave reviews online so it's still a set I'm considering getting.

Other sets missing from my collection are Detectives Office and Brick Bank. Could anyone who owns all three of these sets recommend which one would be the best to get?

It actually fits quite well with the others, I think. I have mine next to Grand Emporium. It doesn’t look too bad. Then I saw it between Assembly Square(right) & Detectives Office, and that looks really good. The turquoise column blends in well.

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

It actually fits quite well with the others, I think. I have mine next to Grand Emporium. It doesn’t look too bad. Then I saw it between Assembly Square(right) & Detectives Office, and that looks really good. The turquoise column blends in well.

Thanks for this. Although I had concerns about DD last week I have come to the decision now that I am going to buy it. Just want to wait till the 28th so that I will qualify for the free 60th Anniversary set as well.

After watching loads of youtube videos I agree with what you say. DD does look decent next to other modulars, especially the ones with brighter colours like AS and DO.

10 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Addressing solutions for two of the nitpick-y complaints (not my complaints) with this set. 

First up "there's no studs on the stools and counter so everything slides around". Hardest mod ever. 

Love those additions! I really want to congratulate you, the first solution was very hard to find and you found it :tongue: 

Counter, also check out how much better it looks with studded seating :sceptic:

I’m personally a visible stud hater (maybe the only fan who hates studs :laugh:) so I don’t like at all the studded seating :grin: but if you put minifigs or some stuff, there will not be any problem for me! I would tile all the floors and the roofs of all the modulars if I didn’t know there’s not a better solution to waste tiles :rofl: Maybe tiling the roof with 8x16 tiles and/or 6x6 tiles would not be wasting tiles though.

Why is there so much freaking food here!?!?! Perhaps we should wait until we have customers before we start preparing food!?

This addition is a must have! Your foods are nice and I like it, the space seems better used like that :classic:

And then some fun with the CMF:

Again a nice addition! And the story was fun as in all your MOCs/MODs :classic: Did you think about adding the Diner Waitress? 

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Just want to wait till the 28th so that I will qualify for the free 60th Anniversary set as well.

I couldn’t wait, I think I’ll miss that set :cry_sad: 

6 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I have mine next to Grand Emporium. It doesn’t look too bad.

Do you have any photos of your DD with the GE (I don’t own the GE)? I just wonder how they look together, I thought they would not fit at all as both of them are in tan...

On 1/13/2018 at 8:13 AM, LegoModularFan said:

Jang done it. I don’t know how it looks, I still prefer with the DO but why not? (Between 21:53 and 22:12) and just after, he puts it with the DO...

I have just found the following review.

http://zusammengebaut.com/lego-creator-expert-amerikanisches-diner-10260-im-review-42624/

Towards the end of the review there are 2 great photos of the Diner. One shows it sandwiched between AS and PR. It looks great and the main teal tower seems to look nice beside the blue building on AS.

The second photo shows DD positioned next to DO and PS. It looks very good next to the Pet Shop.

6 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Towards the end of the review there are 2 great photos of the Diner. One shows it sandwiched between AS and PR. It looks great and the main teal tower seems to look nice beside the blue building on AS.

I really don’t like the DD sandwiched, I don’t like the gaps caused by the stairs on its left side and especially with the PR, the gap looks bigger when put like that. It works not bad when placed to its left hand side... but I still prefer it with the DO for now...  because who knows, maybe the next modular would fit much better with it :wink:

6 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

The second photo shows DD positioned next to DO and PS. It looks very good next to the Pet Shop.

Yes, I would not expect it would fit so nicely with the PS! I also wonder how it would fit with the MS :grin:

Edited by LegoModularFan

3 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

I’m personally a visible stud hater (maybe the only fan who hates studs :laugh:) so I don’t like at all the studded seating :grin: but if you put minifigs or some stuff, there will not be any problem for me!

Yeah it was a sarcastic comment of a sarcastic mod in a sarcastic post :classic:, all of those changes no matter how minor were immediately reversed and the set returned to normal. It was just messing around with what amount to really insignificant complaints and demonstrating how they can be solved with a handful of extra pieces.

And yes Diner Waitress is perfect for this set but I don't have that figure. 

On 1/18/2018 at 6:01 AM, LegoModularFan said:

Do you have any photos of your DD with the GE (I don’t own the GE)? I just wonder how they look together, I thought they would not fit at all as both of them are in tan...

Here's one view of it. 

39061683724_e11d724ca4_n.jpg

Edited by Vindicare

3 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Here's one view of it. 

Thanks! They fit very well together! But the tan looks a bit boring, I fell there needs to be some more color variation. What do you think about it  @Bricked1980?

38 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Thanks! They fit very well together! But the tan looks a bit boring, I fell there needs to be some more color variation. What do you think about it  @Bricked1980?

I think they look pretty good together actually. The brick built "shop" sign on GE contrasts quite well with the pink lettering on the diner.

12 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Yeah, I’m not entirely sold, because of the tan being next to each other. The teal is a nice break up, as was mentioned, the signage too. 

On 20/01/2018 at 1:23 PM, Bricked1980 said:

I think they look pretty good together actually. The brick built "shop" sign on GE contrasts quite well with the pink lettering on the diner.

21 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Yeah, I’m not entirely sold, because of the tan being next to each other. The teal is a nice break up, as was mentioned, the signage too. 

There were some people saying that the DD was really clashing with the other modulars. At least now we know that it fits quite well with the DO, AS, blue building in the PS and the GE when these modulars are placed on the its right side! I don’t want to go off-topic but I believe that the BB is a “not-very-liked” modular (I personally like it a lot), I’m surprised how it fits well with the DD! For those who don’t own the BB, here’s a link, you can see how they fit together:

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/01/05/10260-downtown-diner-brings-1950s-flair-creator-expert-modular-buildings-review/downtown-diner-10260-54-diner-and-brick-bank/

Edited by LegoModularFan

6 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

There were some people saying that the DD was really clashing with the other modulars. At least now we know that it fits quite well with the DO, AS, blue building in the PS and the GE when these modulars are placed on the right hand side! I don’t want to go off-topic but I believe that the BB is a “not-very-liked” modular (I personally like it a lot), I’m surprised how it fits well with the DD! For those who don’t own the BB, here’s a link, you can see how they fit together:

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/01/05/10260-downtown-diner-brings-1950s-flair-creator-expert-modular-buildings-review/downtown-diner-10260-54-diner-and-brick-bank/

This will be the way I'll put it. It fits the height nicely and the tower of DD still sticks out a bit. Plus I have nothing at this side of BB yet :thumbup:

9 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

There were some people saying that the DD was really clashing with the other modulars. At least now we know that it fits quite well with the DO, AS, blue building in the PS and the GE when these modulars are placed on the right hand side! I don’t want to go off-topic but I believe that the BB is a “not-very-liked” modular (I personally like it a lot), I’m surprised how it fits well with the DD! For those who don’t own the BB, here’s a link, you can see how they fit together:

I’ve played around with mine. I think the only official ones that it doesn’t go well alongside is the Parisian Restaurant. The colors and style shift is a little too dissonant there. Of my MOC’s the only clash is with the Winchester. Mainly because it is a very similarly styled and shaped building. That light tan Steamlined Moderne with curving frontage. The two side by side look weird. 

I have wared up significantly to the DD, and will get the set at some point in the future.

My main issue with it remains though, and it is this: I have yet to find a Modular looking good placed to the right side of the DD. It might be the teal, but for me the DD only works with other Modulars if they are placed on its left side.

What could work for me would be to get two DD sets and combining them into one corner Modular on a 48x48 plate with the teal "tower" being in the middle. But then I would pay 300€ to make a 150€-set work... not exactly what I am looking for. :sceptic:

Edited by Drunknok

In shuffling things around a bit more I think I have found the perfect place for the DD among the other Modulars. Put it to the Left side of Assembly Square. The front corner of the Coffee Shop lines up with and matches the DD. There are some curved elements that are the same across the lower portion of both buildings and flow together  And the colors seem to blend well. 

6 hours ago, Faefrost said:

In shuffling things around a bit more I think I have found the perfect place for the DD among the other Modulars. Put it to the Left side of Assembly Square. The front corner of the Coffee Shop lines up with and matches the DD. There are some curved elements that are the same across the lower portion of both buildings and flow together  And the colors seem to blend well. 

This is where i'm gonna put mine too. As you point out there is a small grey curved section at the bottom left corner of the cafe in AS which looks as if it will line up perfectly with the grey elements at the base of the teal coloured tower on DD.

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thanks! Something that would be more interesting for me is to see the MS built mirrored and put with the DD. I wish I could see how it fits with some old modulars I don't own (as CC, GG, FB (which may look not bad IMO) and TH). Perhaps someone who own all the modulars may take photos and post them here... or I would wait until my big project finished-then I will become a real modular fan :laugh: as I will be able to buy all those I don't own...

I have just placed my order for DD. ? waited till after midnight so should be receiving a copy of the 60th anniversary set for free too. Cannot wait for this to arrive.

I think it will look really small next to the older modulars which were larger buildings. Personally I think you could mod it into a corner building.

On January 23, 2018 at 10:12 AM, LegoModularFan said:

Thanks! Something that would be more interesting for me is to see the MS built mirrored and put with the DD. I wish I could see how it fits with some old modulars I don't own (as CC, GG, FB (which may look not bad IMO) and TH). Perhaps someone who own all the modulars may take photos and post them here... 

Here you go. The Diner, like many of the official modulars, is dwarfed by Town Hall:

26068745408_2733466510_c.jpg

26068745438_a88056c0c9_c.jpg

A new review has appeared on YouTube. This is a good video to watch as the main focus of the review seems to be about how DD works alongside other modulars. At the end of the video it shows DD with PR, BB and FS.

https://youtu.be/vmLRiHzcaXw

Edited by Bricked1980

On 02/12/2017 at 8:43 PM, AllanSmith said:

Thanks for the last picture. It gave me an idea for a Drive In Diner for my recent truck and car MOC's.

drive_in_diner.jpg

You’re lucky, someone made it with real bricks! It looks very good IMO:

On 1/28/2018 at 3:09 AM, koalayummies said:

Here you go. The Diner, like many of the official modulars, is dwarfed by Town Hall:

26068745408_2733466510_c.jpg

26068745438_a88056c0c9_c.jpg

Every “Modular”is Dwarfed by Town Hall except Ninjago City. (Yeah yeah where you put that one as a Modular consideration will vary. But it does have the pin connector points!)