Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] 10260 - Downtown Diner

Anybody know why some copies of DD are missing the EXPERT wording below the logo on the box? My set was delivered today and the text is missing on mine but the logo symbol is there.

I'm not bothered by this but just wondered if anyone knows why this is. Have lego scrapped the expert text on all the creator sets or is it a glitch with the print run?

54 minutes ago, Sammael said:

Maybe some bizarro EU regulation that they cannot include the word just in one language :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a language issue actually. Or maybe they think the word "expert" could potentially scare off any casual buyers who might assume the set is too advanced for them.

Edited by Bricked1980

I got mine on Friday, (waited for the free 60th set) and it too is missing Expert from the box, although the logo is present.  It does say expert on the instruction book cover, however.  Perhaps it’s a first box print run error.  

Also noticed on page 157 of the instructions, an errant arrow pointing to the left hand side white section, which neither connects to the parts box, or is even related to any build at that stage.  Has anyone else seen this?

I’m also going to look at trying to fit some booth style chairs and the window I think, as most diners in the US tend to have seats there.  I think it’s missing them. Anyone else agree or is it just me again?

7 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

I got mine on Friday, (waited for the free 60th set) and it too is missing Expert from the box, although the logo is present.  It does say expert on the instruction book cover, however.  Perhaps it’s a first box print run error.  

Also noticed on page 157 of the instructions, an errant arrow pointing to the left hand side white section, which neither connects to the parts box, or is even related to any build at that stage.  Has anyone else seen this?

I’m also going to look at trying to fit some booth style chairs and the window I think, as most diners in the US tend to have seats there.  I think it’s missing them. Anyone else agree or is it just me again?

Agreed on window seating, was thinking of doing this myself

7 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

Also noticed on page 157 of the instructions, an errant arrow pointing to the left hand side white section, which neither connects to the parts box, or is even related to any build at that stage. Has anyone else seen this?

Although I received my set on Friday, I haven't actually opened up the box yet. :look:

I have just looked at the PDF instructions from the Lego website though and there doesn't appear to be any arrows printed on page 157 that shouldn't be there. 

1 hour ago, jus1973 said:

Yes.

40102427061_ec4f55efa3_o.gif

Please move post if posted wrong place...

I missed one pink plate 4X4, 1/4 Circle, the one placed just left for the D in "Diner". Anyone else missed this piece? I don´t have this piece in this color in my sparebin so I had to report it to Lego, hope they`ll replace it.

-On the other hand it was one red plate W. Bow 2X4X2/3 extra...

4 hours ago, jus1973 said:

I got mine on Friday, (waited for the free 60th set) and it too is missing Expert from the box, although the logo is present.

2 hours ago, koalayummies said:

40102427061_ec4f55efa3_o.gif

So it seems there are couple of errors in the production of the instructions and the packaging. Also there is an error with the printing/graphic design on the set itself. Grammar isn't one of my strong points but I'm pretty sure there should be an apostrophe before the "S" in Jim's Diner on the front door. I can forgive that though as the printed door piece does look great.

Pretty weird that Lego would miss these errors though.

55 minutes ago, Chilis said:

I missed one pink plate 4X4, 1/4 Circle, the one placed just left for the D in "Diner". Anyone else missed this piece? I don´t have this piece in this color in my sparebin so I had to report it to Lego, hope they`ll replace it.

I already had two tiles that kind of missing part + extra other part previously in big sets (once in one of the latest modulars)

In one of the cases, it was an extra existing part like you, but in the other case the extra part was not even part of the set inventory! I wonder how it ended there.

I suppose that such error is not detected by weight when the two parts have a similar weight.

Lego should supply the missing part: I also had to request it once, as it was a part that I didn't have; the other time it was a so common part that I didn't even bother them with it.

Edited by antp

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

So it seems there are couple of errors in the production of the instructions and the packaging. Also there is an error with the printing/graphic design on the set itself. Grammar isn't one of my strong points but I'm pretty sure there should be an apostrophe before the "S" in Jim's Diner on the front door. I can forgive that though as the printed door piece does look great.

Pretty weird that Lego would miss these errors though.

I opened my two Arkham Asylums (70912) today, both bought from S@H roughly a week apart. One of the sticker sheets has stationary printed on the sticker, the other stationery. And they made a mistake with the BTTF vehicle, too. Proofreading seems not to be Lego's stronghold.

I built my DD on Sunday. It's great, but what I'm going to do as soon as I get a second one is to MOD the diner into a 48-wide standalone and make a 32-wide (24 + sidewalk) corner building of the two tan upper floors.

Edited by finnbricker

1 hour ago, LegoSjaak said:

Are there any boxes WITH the expert logo anyway?

Some copies of the set definitely do include the expert text. You can see it in the following unboxing video.

I'm wondering if maybe it's a regional thing and only the North American versions of the set have got the logo.

2 hours ago, Chilis said:

Lego will definitely replace your missing part. They have sent me replacement pieces in the past without any bother. Last year they even sent me a replacement instruction book for Assembly Square as the copy that came in my set had got some damaged pages.

12 hours ago, Chilis said:

Lego are usually pretty good at supplying missing parts.  I’ve only had to do it a couple of times in the last ten years or so.  If it’s becoming more common, then perhaps QC isn’t what it should be.  Especially with spelling mistakes etc in stickers, and instructions having errant arrows.  

On 02/02/2018 at 8:49 PM, Bricked1980 said:

Anybody know why some copies of DD are missing the EXPERT wording below the logo on the box? My set was delivered today and the text is missing on mine but the logo symbol is there.

Yes, it is missing on my box too:

12 hours ago, Chilis said:

I don’t have any missing pieces but I have this one extra.

18 hours ago, Blk69 said:

So whats the final word?  Do most AFOLs like the DD or what? 

Well I wasn't sure I liked it at first and couldn't make my mind up whether to buy it or not. Don't think a day went by in January when I didn't scan Youtube for any new reviews. :laugh:

In the end it grew on me though and I have bought it but not had chance to build it yet. If you're trying to decide between DD and PR though I would definitely recommend PR as the best set.

18 hours ago, Blk69 said:

Just checked Lego.com, is not on back order so thinking not as popular as the hype.

I thought it would go out of stock after the free 60th anniversary set came out but surprised it hasn't. Hope it is popular. We want them to carry on making these things.

On 10/02/2018 at 3:00 AM, Blk69 said:

So whats the final word?  Do most AFOLs like the DD or what?  Viewed a few Youtube videos and few claim this is the best of the lot.  Looks better than the Brick Bank but not as good as the Dectectives Office IMO.

I wasn’t completely blown over when I saw the release vid, but the more I looked, the more it grew on me. There’s some nice building techniques, simple but very effective, which I really enjoyed doing.  Having slid it into my admittedly small layout, i think it’s just as worthy as any of the others. It lacks intricacy of architecture of assembly square say, but the clean lines of Art Deco make a welcome change from the boxy buildings in DO BB and AS.

13 hours ago, Blk69 said:

Ok how are you able to sleep at night with an inbuilt modular. That would drive me crazy! 

I agree, it’s very difficult to wait to build a modular and especially if you’re a modular fan and an impatient guy like me :grin: But I still prefer taking my time to build a modular because what are you going to do when you have built all the official modulars? Two options:

MOC’cing a modular if you’re a MOC’cer :classic:

If you’re not a MOC’cer, waiting until the next modular. Definitely not an excellent solution :hmpf_bad: 

19 hours ago, Blk69 said:

Ok how are you able to sleep at night with an inbuilt modular. That would drive me crazy!  Think a week is about a long as I could go without building it before calling off sick from work.

Hm... even though I was very keen to get the Diner asap, its now been sitting here unopened for over a month. I want to really cherish and indulge myself in the build, and so far I haven't found enough time to do that. One of the reasons propably was that I finally found my motivation again and finished deisgning my next MOC :excited:. Ordered the missing parts today, can't wait to start with that. Another reason for my tardiness propably is that I#m rapidly running out of proper space to put all the modulars. :sceptic:

But, back to topic... my Brick Bank has been sitting around unopened for over two years now :sweet:. Modding it into a 24-wide straight building will be my next project when my MOC is finished. I'll propably squeeze in the Diner somewhere inbetween.

22 hours ago, Blk69 said:

Ok how are you able to sleep at night with an inbuilt modular. That would drive me crazy!  Think a week is about a long as I could go without building it before calling off sick from work.

Wow, I better not show you a picture of what's under my desk at home then, you wouldn't sleep or go to work for months!  I haven't even gotten around to building my Technic 42009 yet!  Just finished Pet Shop. I'm a little ... behind.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:01 AM, LegoModularFan said:

I agree, it’s very difficult to wait to build a modular and especially if you’re a modular fan and an impatient guy like me :grin: But I still prefer taking my time to build a modular because what are you going to do when you have built all the official modulars?

Me too. I like to take my time with Modulars as I really enjoy the build process just as much as seeing the end result. When I finally get round to building it I was probably spread out the build in small stages over several weeks if I can. Otherwise if I build it too fast I'll be left with a big wait until next years modular. :cry_sad:

Here's a different Lego project I've been busy working on this past week.

15 hours ago, Chmashdehjare said:

Wow, I better not show you a picture of what's under my desk at home then, you wouldn't sleep or go to work for months!  I haven't even gotten around to building my Technic 42009 yet!  Just finished Pet Shop. I'm a little ... behind.

I've also got a big backlog of sets that I've bought. In my cupboard at home alongside the Diner are several Creator 3 in 1 sets, The Lego Ideas Ecto 1 and the 60th anniversary set which I received free with the diner. All these are in the queue waiting to be built.

Maybe I should spend less time on Eurobricks and get some actual building done instead. :laugh:

Me too. My backlog of Modulars to build goes all the way back to the Palace Cinema. I have all of the Modulars and am waiting on Downtown Diner to arrive in New Zealand. Circumstances of me living in one city and the LEGO being stored in another city have been solved with a recent move. :sweet:

I started to think that maybe TLG would re-release the CC and the hotel hint in the designer video was a clue about this (re-release of the CC)... That may be totally wrong but am I the only person to think that?